1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they are trying to find some science in it.
    Yes, because PACE etc. is premised on pwME being deconditioned (which is biological) but having unhelpful beliefs preventing them from doing what is needed to recondition.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    DokaGirl, Dolphin, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am amused by this bit:

Reuters contacted a dozen professors, doctors and researchers with experience of analyzing or testing potential treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome.

Note the wording. Not just testing potential treatments but analysing them. What does that mean - analyse but not test. Presumably it refers to people who have reviewed evidence provided by the testers. That could include Cochrane reviewers perhaps? But could it not also include those who have similarly provided commentary in other peer reviewed publications.

Ms Kelland was specifically advised to contact me, as someone with expertise in the field, plus the useful, and rather unusual, quality of having no vested interest in any particular approach.

I had 'analysed potential treatments' in a paper in J Health Psychology.
    I had analysed the analysis in a Cochrane review as a referee.
    I was the only UK scientist to be recently asked to take part in an advisory board for the MRC on strategy in the context of inviting ME research proposals.
    More generally I had been asked to advise, from an independent standpoint, in various ways, NIH, MRC, Wellcome, three ME charities, Cochrane, the UKME Biobank, etc. about the quality of ME research.

But it seems an independent view on research was not part of the agenda.

sea, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 37 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well...I'm crowdfunding in April, when Berkeley's platform is open. So maybe it will be helpful.

It's M.E. Linda, sea, Hutan and 32 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:woot::woot::woot:

I was just about to leave something aside in hope for that!!

Thank you once again for the important job you're doing, @dave30th I'm sorry to see this portrayal of you. It's very different from the impression given by your writing and speaking. After having seen several lectures, read your blogposts, articles, posts here and on social media, I can only say I wish all journalists were as thorough as you.

SarahandElly, sea, Hutan and 25 others like this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8

"When danger reared its ugly head/he bravely turned his tail and fled..."

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Crawley does not say this in research papers but she does say it is a 'biological' condition in press interviews:

So at least Crawley seems to think that ME is a biomedical condition, but one that can be changed/cured by behavioural/psychological intervention.

I don't think there is any consensus amongst the BPS coterie as to what ME is, they vary between themselves and between different statements by the same person: it could be psychosomatic, it could be conversion symptoms, it could be an unspecified biological condition, it could be deconditioning, it could be central sensitisation, it could be a psychiatric catch-all MUS syndrome. The only thing that holds them together is a belief in GET/CBT and perhaps allocating blame either to patients or carers when their interventions fail.

[Added - Perhaps also the BPS crew are unified in believing intervention/treatment can ignore any biological factors. So there seems to be some very strange double think going on.]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Barry

I think it's a brilliant article, in that it should do us a power of good. All one has to say about these scientists trying to shore up their house of cards is "Where, amongst all those words, is there a single scientific argument? The very fact you still can do no more than cast aspersions at those who criticise you, with no science-based rebuttals at all after all this time, proves our point as well as anything we could do". In fact it is what they always do: psychological strategies* trying to bamboozle good science. *i.e. BS.

sea, feeb, Simone and 10 others like this.
  9. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that is my suggestion - this article could be used as an marketing effort of S4ME, to get more people exposed to the actual critice and debate going on. Maybe not sharing the article itself, but point out this obvious hole in it:

"Come find out what those terrible patitens are saying - about their science."

Or something like that, and a link to the forum? It also shows that patients are open for dialouge and actual scientific debate, and don't respond to labels.

MEMarge, Barry, andypants and 4 others like this.
  10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been using the hashtag #sharegoodscience and even #CFS because that's how they're tagging their article. If people want to click on that hashtag I want them to get some good things, too.

sea, Simone, Dolphin and 12 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was no quote from Racaniello's interview.

Is there another article in the pipeline or has Kelland just dismissed whatever did not fit her narrative?

Wasn't there also supposed to be a video?

Hutan, Simone, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She somehow didn't bother to include one and then said my 15,000-word piece was posted on the site of a Berkeley colleague. So, you know, she got that obvious fact wrong.

sea, Hutan, Forestvon and 18 others like this.
  13. inox

It's an amazing amount of spin collected in just one single article...! :noteworthy: It's like it should win a prize of some sort? :trophy@

I've actually gotten numb to these attempts of stiring emotions, so my reaction is maybe a bit different. I don't think this is that bad, as it may seem at first. There are enough pointers to the underlying story, the general public is also accustomed to actual online abuse and wan't be impressed by those tweets.

But more importantly - the general public is also more aware of the use of news articles to spin one side of a story, and have learnt to seek out the other side. Not all of course, but many. It's not just ME-patients that are getting online savvy. A story like this, trying to go after patients that hard, will make a lot of people curios as to what is actually going on.

We should benefit on that.

sea, Hutan, Simone and 7 others like this.
  14. inox

Ah, clever :thumbup: I'm not good at twitter, so wouldn't have thought of that.

sea, Hutan, Simone and 7 others like this.
  15. Barry

Yes. Unhelpful beliefs indeed.

Sean, JaimeS, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  16. Barry

Well that didn't last long then did it! :rolleyes::p:)

JaimeS and Trish like this.
  17. Barry

I think in essence they are running away from themselves, and from their own brand of science which I'm sure they now know in their hearts is doomed. But truth keeps getting in their way.

sea, obeat, Sean and 5 others like this.
  18. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although the article seems to encompass all ME researchers, that is, the uninitiated reader may think this is the case, the article is only talking about some PS researchers. The article sounds like all researchers are concerned, and the majority of them have stopped their research.

Hmmm.....how about all the biomedical researchers who by definition don't support the unfounded BPS model of ME: the Open Medicine Foundation, Jarred Younger's group, Nancy Klimas' group, Ian Lipkin's group, Maureen Hanson's group, Alain Moureau's group, Don Stain's group etc., etc., etc.!

We don't hear that biomedical ME researchers are being "vexated".

sea, Hutan, ladycatlover and 11 others like this.
  19. Barry

I would guess he might be treating comorbid psychological problems. Hopefully even he would not seek to attenuate or cure cancer itself with CBT and GET?

JaimeS, DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These kinds of journalistic displays are always timed judiciously. In the past Wessely has cried foul to the press around the same day when the MEICC published. This time around, there is an international conference in Australia. It always happens when they feel threatened.