1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. large donner

large donner Guest

Latest news: NICE have just approved Lucazade, grapes and a nice bunch of flowers as a treatment for every illness in the ICD.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Going off at a tangent, psychological and personality factors have been implicated by doctors and researchers in people catching tuberculosis for 200 years? or more? How did such beliefs help anyone get better? How many people were cured?

Research into the personality of patients with tuberculosis is still being written about now. If the researchers involved were researching how to get homeless or alcoholic or poorly educated sufferers to take their antibiotics then I could possibly see the point. But generally, going back into history, a lot of it looks like waffle.

How would modern patients with tuberculosis feel about these research papers from 1948 and 1961? They achieve nothing in terms of making the patient any better and are simply a waste of research resources (although I admit I couldn't get hold of the full papers to be absolutely sure).

A study of personality in pulmonary tuberculosis.

Psychosocial study of the patient with pulmonary tuberculosis: A cooperative research approach.

I think that it could be argued (if I was any good at arguing) that people with ME are in the same position that tuberculosis sufferers were in in the early part of the 20th century or the latter half of the 19th century.

Keebird, Forbin, DokaGirl and 12 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, hardly worth an award for bravery and standing up for science if what you actually do is fold your tent and run away leaving your patients without your help.

Forbin, Simone, ladycatlover and 12 others like this.
  4. large donner

large donner Guest

Shes not fit to write a Cochrane review then if she cant handle the scientific critique.

She admits to not being able to handle the critique. She has been given over two years to address the issues raised against her by Cochrane via Bobs dissection of her review and has failed miserably.

Meanwhile Wessely and Sharp claim to have run away into other fields, actually due to critiques from patients AND their own peers in academia which they fail to be able to address adequately .

White retired and ran way from his University when he failed to address the critiques scientifically and cost the University £250,000 trying to block data release for his dubious claims and Crawley had to make up bogus libel claims as a distraction from critiques raised against her from academics from all over the world.

So what are any of these people doing in the research fields in the first place?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

You guys might be onto something there.

It was so obvious, wasn't it.

Simone, DokaGirl, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  7. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kate's article is a bunch of nonsense, as everyone can see. I see no reason to avoid sharing it or linking to it. I actually suspect the lack of any scientific discussion will indicate to intelligent readers that they have no arguments other than complaining about "abusive" critics.

9. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got to disagree with you there @dave30th. Unfortunately I don't believe we live in a world of intelligent readers who can read between the lines. We live in a world where there is great reverence for authority, and this article uses that in spades: Poor Oxford professor just trying to help people.
    By sharing it, we continue the debate, as if there is even a debate left to be had. I would much rather people took this opportunity to share your work instead.

Furthermore, by linking and sharing it, we prove to Reuters that this sort of article can get the traffic they desire, increasing the likelihood they run another piece like it in the future. In this instance, I see our silence as more powerful.

Eta: if we had intelligent readers PACE would never have happened!

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The New York Post picked up the story.

It goes on and on...
    keep reading here:
    https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/chronic-fatigue-activists-are-trying-to-silence-us-researchers/

Simone, DokaGirl, Sean and 5 others like this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came here to remind ppl of this but you guys have obv been aware much longer than me on the west coast! Glad to see very, very few statements/comments on the article despite it being out for ages. And while everyone is welcome to do as they think best as individuals, I do personally think it's the best course in this case.

There's some decent evidence for that.

I think it's nearly heartbreaking how many of us caught that we were being baited. I know a lot of people who did some behind-the-scenes chatter to advise us not to take that bait. As a community of people painted mad, we have to be ten times as good and twelve times as patient.

13. JaimeS

Exactly. I think the vast majority (all?) of us would agree that ME is not due to psychiatric issues. But if the science had been any good, I'd have had to have carefully re-examined my stance.

Well said.

Keebird, Simone, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  14. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. The debate needs a wider audience.

Roy S, DokaGirl, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well that's a point. It could also play differently in US and UK, I guess.

Simone, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  16. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will someone not speak out for the poor cancer patients

"Sharpe no longer conducts research into CFS/ME treatments, focusing instead on helping severely ill cancer patients."

After a few years of treatment for breast cancer I am of course flattered that I could be considered "severely ill" rather than just a difficult and vocal ME patient.

It's been refreshing to work with cancer doctors who use evidence based methods, don't mind me bringing in research articles to discuss, answer my questions, order the right tests and in one letter to my GP remark that I am a woman quite capable of making her own decisions over medical care.

What's Sharpe going to do for these cancer patients exactly?

Keebird, Snow Leopard, Mij and 31 others like this.
  17. JaimeS

There is no discernment between clicks to disagree and clicks to agree. It shows up as a "popular article" and Reuters will continue to publish things like this because they drive traffic. All any news outlet cares about.

18. JaimeS

It definitely does.

DokaGirl, MEMarge, Barry and 3 others like this.
  19. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps undo these options?
    Its amazing to me that these psychosomatic pushers think of their constructs like a growth oriented business who thinks expansion at any cost will supercharge their profits. Except instead of money they seek to expand the purview of their influence and convince themselves they are actually doing patients a favour.

DokaGirl, Sean, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    My research aims to understand the psychiatric aspects of medical illnesses and their treatments, to develop novel interventions for these that are integrated with medical care and to evaluate these in rigorous clinical trials.

My current interests are in developing integrated medical-psychiatric treatments and services especially for people with depression that is comorbid with medical conditions such as cancer and for elderly medical inpatients."

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/team/michael-sharpe

"novel interventions" ??