1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a reminder that Ian Sample is the head science editor at the Guardian.

His bioscience PhD is from QMUL. Even in the case of ME this may have nothing to do with anything but then again . . .

2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think she did a great job too! I thought the comment was positive and insightful.

3. Lucibee

It has nothing to do with anything... It's about cognitive biases...
    (I've met Ian personally...)

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty strong biases I would think. Unravelling the fact that PACE didn't show what they said, that it was not a great trial and that the voices of people with ME have been calling this out without being heard for a long time isn't rocket science.

Hutan, rvallee, MSEsperanza and 3 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to do a 'drive by' but i've been trying to stay away & limit the personal effects of all this awful. Am trying not to engage, for my own sanity. You are all marvellous for all your efforts to counter, analyze, comment etc.

In terms of the possibility of getting a 'proper' journalistic article written I wondered if anyone knew anything about Ian Leslie? He wrote this peice about a similar thing happening to the scientists trying to call out the poor science behind the whole low fat/sugar thing decades ago & how they were vilfied?
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

(sorry i dont know how to embed a proper link, too goofy tonight)

The article has been raised on here before but i sorry i too ill to search for it tonight. might be some more info on a thread somewhere, but he seems like has a curious mind.

might be a useful ally even if he didnt do a full article?

https://twitter.com/mrianleslie

6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re George Monbiot, for any who might not have already come across it, this piece from 2003 is an illuminating read:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2003/dec/09/highereducation.uk2

Invasion of the entryists
    How did a cultish political network become the public face of the scientific establishment?

George Monbiot, December 9, 2003

Inara, MEMarge, JaimeS and 14 others like this.
  7. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow.

Dx Revision Watch and Barry like this.
  8. Lucibee

"Is all this a coincidence?" - actually, it might be? Never underestimate the human power of a good conspiracy. We are pattern seekers by default.

MEMarge, JaimeS, MSEsperanza and 2 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That does not mean that the patterns we find are always random chance. I find it extremely unlikely for instance that the SMC are not willingly subject to external influence.

MEMarge, JaimeS, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  10. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107281015058386949

she then tweeted-

And there will be articles of the kind “How British psychiatrists sold bad science by smearing their patients.” Who does that???

Or, “How British psychiatrists placed their academic careers and social standing above actual human welfare by deeply stigmatizing an entire class of people for generations.”

At dinner a psychology professor friend (academic, not clinical) was talking about the psych replication crisis and unbidden she brought up the PACE trial. I asked, “Oh, did you see me tweet about it or something?” thinking it was a concern of my narrow neck of the woods.

And she said “No, we all know about and talk about it. It was a horrible trial.” So let’s stop pretending somehow this isn’t about science. That patients are the only or even chief critics.

Or that the *tens of thousands* of patients fighting CBT/GET somehow represent a “militant fringe.” You will be able to put that narrative into the media better than anyone but no need to gaslight us on the side.

At the end of the day, before your a researchers or anything else, you are *doctors.* Tens of thousands are saying, “You have harmed us.” I would hope you’d have the curiosity to ask why rather than use such big platforms to nurse your feelings of injury/harm.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. I think I already said that I think Porter's piece is more damaging than Liddle's. It perpetuates a lazy self-satisfied approach to primary care - the Jack of All Trades approach.

12. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Posts about the ME Association staffing and structure have been moved to this thread.
    Posts relating to ME charities' reaction to the Reuters article have been moved to this thread.

Skycloud, Hutan, JohnM and 3 others like this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone , somewhere pointed out that there had been amendments to the original article with partial corrections.

There seems to be another interesting amendment. I have earlier said that the tweets complained of should be seen in their entirety and in context. A screenshot of the @Paul Watton tweet is now shown, indicating that it was in response to a tweet from MS to Allen Frances advising that he read the actual papers and systematic reviews before drawing conclusions. The complaints now made remind me of the joke that used to go around.

Pompous ass: I've never been so insulted in my life!

Comedian: Well you should get out more.

The screenshot now shown does not strongly support the case. What is more interesting is the potential reason for failing to show a similar screen shot of the Anton Mayer tweet, which was more severely edited. In these circumstances one would have expected the full screen shots of both to be displayed side-by-side. Why the modesty? Does the full Mayer tweet further undermine the case that has been made.

14. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think Anton Meyer's tweet even mentioned Sharpe by name. I remember him tweeting last year that the PACE authors - rather than Sharpe specifically - had behaved like abusers by claiming they were helping patients when in reality they were harming them.

I assume this is the tweet that Kelland was referencing (the timing would seem to fit) although it's possible that @MECFSNews has tweeted something along these lines more than once.

rvallee, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  15. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks info. I agree these sorts of activity diaries and so on are incredibly tedious to plan and keep.

Are we saying that there was more homework (more work) involved in the APT group, than CBT or GET?... I wouldn't have expected that, that would be another twist, haha.

16. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have sight of the phase III rituximab trial data, but I thought what was remarkable about the early work was that when patient reported improvement occurred, it had a distinct pattern to it, that, to me, suggested something more than a simple placebo effect was going on in a subgroup of patients. In that the improvement wasn't immediately associated with the dose of 'medicine', it followed a delayed repsonse curve correlating with b-cell depleation, and was actually completely unexpected in the early cases where the treatment was for cancer, not ME/CFS.

Hutan, Dolphin, MSEsperanza and 3 others like this.
  17. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

NelliePledge, Lisa108, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see why Sharpe found that tweet terrifying.

NelliePledge, Hutan, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  19. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th

Have you seen the whole original tweets about which Reuters were complaining? this does not appear to be serious journalism.

And thanks to @fivetowns for discovering that.

rvallee, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 2 others like this.
  20. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

This the 'pathetic ego driven games' one:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1030298784817983488

Considering it was a reply on a completely unrelated post by Wessely there's more credence to it being online abuse (it's certainly not mildly worded). But if this was (presumably) one of the worst 'attacks' on Wessely it doesn't say much for the 'relentless online trolls' narrative.

Hutan, ukxmrv, rvallee and 2 others like this.