1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sore throats swollen glands

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by NelliePledge, May 5, 2019.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

During the early years of M.E, yes, but not anymore.

bobbler and RedFox like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sampling lymph nodes is a very unrewarding exercise. We did needle aspirations in the 1990s and learnt nothing much. They can diagnose cancer, that's about all. Biopsy removes the functioning node and is not justified unless you are looking for a clear diagnosis like lymphoma or TB. Cell populations vary enormously otherwise.

alktipping, MeSci, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was doing some searching on 'flu-like symptoms' as this is usually listed in 'other symptoms' for ME/CFS diagnosis.
    However, it would appear that the individual symptoms and collectively 'flu-like symptoms' are also associated with anxiety and depression and even bi-polar disorder. There are many articles and papers on this.
    But I was shocked to find so many. I haven't dug into it more to see when this association started as I suspected the whole mind-body thing ( There is this from 2009:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20035251/).

But the only symptom as part of the 'flu-like symptoms' that doesn't seem to get included as associated with a mental health disorder is 'sore throat' (I haven't really looked into swollen lymph-nodes).

(Some articles say that 'flu-like symptoms' are often referred to by the medical profession as 'general malaise').