1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sore throats swollen glands

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by NelliePledge, May 5, 2019.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It seems as though a substantial percentage of us have a sore throat as part of PEM, or more often:
    Poll - Sore throat and tender lymph nodes

Has any work been done to work out what is going on with this? There is so much done with the symptom of fatigue, but maybe some work on the other symptoms might give us a clue.

I remember mentioning to a doctor once that I often get a sore throat with PEM, and that I have wondered what causes that, and what a biopsy or even just looking at the throat when it was sore might show. He confidently replied that it would show nothing, although I have no idea how he could know that. He certainly wasn't an expert on ME literature.

What could cause the PEM sore throat? And is there any way we could try to check out some of the possibilities?

Philipp, Ravn, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good question. I've always assumed - based on no evidence whatsoever - that the sore throat is part of the general sickness response symptom cluster. Like when you're coming down with a cold or flu. Confused immune system attacking ghosts or something. But really I've no idea.

A quick google didn't find much, sore throat is listed as a symptom often enough but nobody seems to have looked into it further. I did find this general paper on non-infectious sore throats (not in ME). Seems they're not well understood even before we add ME to the mix. From the conclusion:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3439613/

And I found this (beware: it leads down the rabbit hole of HPV vaccine):
    https://www.meresearch.org.uk/nose-and-throat-inflammation/

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never get the PEM sore throat without swollen lymph nodes. Someone once explained that they swell because they've recruited additional blood cells to come and fight an infection, and because of this I assume there's some kind of immune component to PEM.

If the PEM is mild, my swollen nodes usually go down within a couple of hours; I treat it as a useful warning that I need to cut back on everything except necessary activities for a little while. If it's severe, they'll stay that way for days.

I'd like to know what triggers this response, and how it gets subdued again, sometimes very quickly.

Ravn, MarcNotMark, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My lymph nodes have been permanently swollen for years now, I think. They used to go down, but not any more.

Ravn, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Presumably assumptions have been made that there’s nothing exceptional about it but are there other illnesses where you can get sore throat and swollen glands from participating in activity?

Hutan, Ravn, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kitty

I wonder if this has anything useful to say about people who worsen permanently after activity that takes them beyond the PEM threshold, or after another illness?

Ravn and alktipping like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had this for years after onset and assumed it was probably connected to the sore throat feeling, although I could have them independent of each other. The kind of odd thing was that when I told others that my voice was hoarse, even members of my immediate family said it sounded normal to them. I was dumbfounded that it wasn't noticeable to them. I could certainly feel the rasp in my throat and could hear it in my ears but others could not. Maybe it was because my voice is normally quite deep. The hoarseness might have been more apparent to others if my voice were normally of a higher pitch.

Philipp, Ravn, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts
    Lymph nodes are supplied with nerves and fed with hormones controlled by the brain, like cortisol. I have never been that impressed by the claims that the brain has an important impact on immunity but it has an impact.

One thing that might be worth looking at is actual lymph node size. We now have ultrasound probes that can visualise superficial nodes quite well. There is no actual documentation of increase lymph node size in ME and if there was it would be the simplest of all ways to show that it is 'biomedical'. Maybe there should be a push for a study.

There is of course the alternative that lymph nodes are tender because of mediators under neural control without any structural change. And of course some people with ME will have swollen lymph nodes for one reason or another - so we need some facts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2022
    Wonko, Hutan, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  9. Kitty

I've been trying to find ways to argue this for years, but was hampered by not really knowing whether it would be considered a meaningful sign.

It would also be useful to understand whether it's common for there to be a pattern of swelling. For instance, I've known my throat glands become visibly swollen during the course of a day because of a developing cold, but not due to PEM. That's a morning phenomenon, and if it persists right through to the evening I've really overdone it. Usually most of the visible swelling has faded by the afternoon and won't reappear until the following morning.

Wonko, MeSci, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.
  10. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is brilliant. Do swollen lymph nodes usually happen during PEM? (Sorry, I don't have this symptom.) Then you can do a study with healthy controls and pwME doing a CPET and seeing how much their lymph nodes swell.

Mij and Hutan like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not all pwme get swollen lymph nodes, which makes it problematic as an indicator of anything for ME.

bobbler, Mij, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that is a bit pessimistic. Not all people with TB have swollen lymph nodes but swollen lymph nodes are a very good indicator of what is going on in TB!

bobbler, Hutan, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never knew there were so many lymph glands - I associated them with the throat/ neck .

My daughter can be a dot to dot of lymph s when they are problematic , literally from head down.

Hutan, MeSci and MEMarge like this.
  14. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

research is looking at proteomics, metabolomics and entire lymphocyte populations before and after exercise. This is where we will get answers.

15. Milo

Agreed. Some like me have sore lymph nodes, but not significantly swollen enough for a physician to be alarmed or even noticing

alktipping, V.R.T. and RedFox like this.
  16. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My neck lymph nodes were swollen at times in early ME, but now they are swollen all the time.

alktipping and RedFox like this.
  17. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's good to know. I didn't know because I don't get lymph node swelling or tenderness as an ME symptom. I have experienced sore lymph nodes at times, but only when a healthy person likely would as well. For example, if I get a cut in my mouth (presumably my immune system is reacting to the bacteria in my mouth) or if I get a vaccine (which is totally normal).

alktipping, Ariel and BrightCandle like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine too but when I mentioned it to my GP she dismissed it saying it's probably my salivary glands. I'm not sure how much better it would be but looking at pictures of swollen lymph nodes it seems spot on. Mine are almost always pretty hard and tender.

I don't think this information is often correctly recorded, given my N=1 experience. The reflex to dismiss is strong.

Mij, MeSci, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  19. Milo

re probably salivary glands, that's a joke. As a teen I had stones in my salivary glands, which were severely acting up every time I ate acidic food- not the same thing and not the same location. (My salivary glands were removed).

20. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it possible to get biopsies from lymph nodes? Or is this too invasive and dangerous to do? Do you think there would be much to be gained from histology, flow cytometry or comparative omics of these tissues, or would it just confirm that yes there are tons of b cells in there without providing any useful information?

Hutan likes this.