1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sore throats swollen glands

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by NelliePledge, May 5, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

hi all I’m currently having a flare up of sore throat swollen glands general flu type aches headache and low appetite ears hurt because of swollen glands. I haven’t been in contact with people much recently. Every time I get this I scratch my head as to whether it’s a viral infection or the ME. I used to get it a lot particularly a spell 10-15 years ago when I was still working full time. It was as a result of getting all these episodes of laryngitis/ viral infection that I first reduced my working pattern from 5 to 4 days and this was probably the onset of my ME. Culminating with me discovering I had “CFS” 11 years later after being told by the GP i didn’t have Fibromyalgia because you don’t get a sore throat with that.

Anyone else have bad throats

I feel like I might have posted this before when I had a bad episode but couldn’t find it here so it could be one I did on PR.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Joh, Sly Saint, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only have a sore throat when I breathe.

More seriously, slightly, I've been using it as a marker for quite a while. It can get fairly bad at times. These times tend to coincide with other symptoms being worse.

My throat is rarely well enough so I can laugh without risking a coughing fit.

That's my excuse for being a miserable git anyway.

However my coughing/sore throat precedes ME by several years, the ME just made it worse, and the extremes more so.

Forbin, Lisa108, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  3. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get a sore throat and glands too. I had glandular fever when I was younger and had really infected tonsils with it. Since then they have stayed pitted and when I deal like I have a virus they get white discharge and sore, not really hurting but feels like I have a bit of a cold.

I am much more aches than usual at the moment as well. I feel like I have mild flu - I just tell people I am feeling more viral. Am sure it’s just the ME as I seem to get like this quite frequently so it can’t be ongoing viruses

MEMarge, Lisa108, AliceLily and 7 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

Maybe you had ME when the sore throats started @Wonko but you didn’t realise?

ETA. Can I join you in the miserable gits union

MEMarge, Lisa108, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's difficult to be sure these days but I'm fairly sure the coughing and sore throats started before I was 7. \the virus which I associate with ME onset was when I was 19-20 (was in the summer, as is my birthday, I never celebrated my birthday so I'm unsure which side of it it was)

6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I started getting sore throats when my ME started. It was one of those additional syptoms that made me realise I was probably ill with ME rather than anything else - such as fibromyalgia.

I wake up with a sore throat often. I go through periods when it isn't really there, or is better, but I very often have some sort of sore throat. It's not painful, or really all that bothersome, but it's there.

MEMarge, Lisa108, Trish and 8 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get a sore throat and swollen glands when my ME is bad. Also they can be a symptom of PEM.

If they go away with rest, I assume it is PEM. Given they most times don't develop into a cold and flue I assume it is not an infection, but I have no way of distinguishing PEM and a mild transient infection.

My onset was associated with glandular fever (EBV) and swollen glands and sore throats has been linked to my ME ever since.

Hutan, MEMarge, Lisa108 and 9 others like this.
  8. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The illness I had which I think contributed to my ME was a terrible sore throat which also triggered a sore ear on the same side. I say sore but I'd never known a sore ear or throat like it. Over the following 18mths, by which time the infection must have been over, I had aches in the same places when I was particularly at a low ebb. I assumed my body was somehow inflamed there as a result of the ME. I've had it occur once in the last 18mths. I've had sore/swollen glands in my neck, but I think that's something separate for me.
    Not sure that really answers your question, but I hope that you feel better soon regardless.

Trish, chrisb, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I have sore throats, swollen glands (almost permanent now after 24 years), & sometimes blocked ears, which have been associated with a swelling/infection on one occasion a long time ago - can't remember what it's called right now.

I don't get blocked ears often now, and I avoid getting fluid in there when washing hair, etc., by plugging them with cotton wool.

MEMarge, Trish, AliceLily and 5 others like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep.
    Sore throat. Multiple swollen glands ( i never knew there were so many prior to my daughter getting ME)

PEM brings sore throat on but glands in some form being swollen seems to be a pretty constant feature - just the degree of inflammation that changes.

Voice getting croaky/ hoarse after 10 mins talking also a feature.

Forbin, MEMarge, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  11. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, sore throat often when feel more flu-like, and painful glands.

Also seem to get one steady cold all winter. Feel extra flu-like with PEM.

Also seem to have one blocked ear with ringing - hope this improves. Never had the tinnitus before, but cold symptoms stil present.

MEMarge, MeSci, Trish and 4 others like this.
  12. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes always with pem I think I should just go into hibernation for a decade really don't know how much less I can do . I really could use a prolonged break . hope we all get a break soon .

Hutan, MEMarge, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

Thanks for sharing everyone. I’ve never been diagnosed with glandular fever. I definitely get croaky throat when my energy is running out although that doesn’t hurt. This swollen glands fluey one hurts. I’ve go a chubby face so it’s not noticeable when only slightly swollen but some of the times in the past when it was at worst level my face felt like a melon. Other times i went for three weeks not being able to have a chat on the phone because it was too painful.

At least now I’ve stopped working i don’t have to go through the hassle of getting an appointment to see the doctor to get signed off.

Hutan, MEMarge, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  14. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very hot sore throat at the beginning of my ME and POTS onset and the same at my very severe onset.

Forbin, MEMarge, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  15. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s one of the few symptom boxes I can’t tick I’m afraid ...not even at onset.

Like you I was gradual onset and in my case with no particular infection at the start apart from a series of skin infections and a couple of bouts of novavirus over the period of a year at the beginning. I’ve never had glandular fever so I always assumed that the sore throat and swollen glands were associated with this type of onset...looks like it might be more complicated than that?

Hope you get back to baseline soon.

Hutan, alktipping, AliceLily and 5 others like this.
  16. Annaiom

Annaiom Established Member

My voice getting croaky and my throat getting sore is an indicator I am doing too much and need to stop everything and rest. If I don't/can't rest pretty much straight away I end up with white patches on my left tonsil and my tonsil feels bigger and it's really sore to swallow when i get up the next day, the glands on the left side below my ear are sore and sore to touch and my ear gets sore too. I also get sore lymph nodes in my right armpit area along with PEM

17. NelliePledge

Yes I’ve heard people say they have tonsillitis @Annaiom I am of a generation where it was fairly common for children to have tonsillectomy which I did when I was 6. so I get laryngitis instead

18. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had fairly constant sore throats and sore and swollen lymph glands for a couple of decades after diagnosis, accompanied by hoarse/croaky voice. Then I had dental surgery under cover of multiple vitamin C infusions. The sore throats, lymph glands and hoarseness improved. Could the vitamin C have reduced or eliminated an infection, systemic or otherwise? My other ME symptoms continued as before.

19. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Currently have slightly sore throat and definitely swollen glands. Not sure if it is as a result of the stomach bug I caught on the plane, or PEM. I’ve had both for the last week.
    I do regularly get swollen glands with PEM, and without. Glandular fever onset.

alktipping, AliceLily, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I often wonder whether any of my symptoms are due to tooth infection. I've been waiting since November 2016 to register with a dental surgery, although the health service will do emergency work if it's needed! I could go private, but I need my money for an awful lot of other things that have built up over the years.

I don't think that my problems are due to a lack of Vitamin C - I'm a vegan and also take supplements.

What was your dental work for?

alktipping and AliceLily like this.