1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rethinking the treatment of CFS — a reanalysis and evaluation of findings from a recent major trial of GET and CBT (2018) Wilshire et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is true, for biomarkers to be meaningful, there needs to be an impressive ROC - and of course the same is true for psychological associations if there are claims they are causally related.

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I keep forgetting how effective modesty, caution and politeness are in debate.

This has made me think that I should really just completely re-draft an e-mail I've been gradually editing to be less and less irate and self-righteous. So hard to get the right tone when dealing with these $%&#ers!

4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://twitter.com/user/status/978436540941656064

Seems like MS is getting quite nervous.
    Iv'e tried to understand how being a patient could be considered as a COI, but I can't find a good reason. Only a perverse mind would (someone thinking that all these bastards don't want to get better, that it's part of the illness, which is just disgusting).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  5. Matt (@DondochakkaB)

Matt (@DondochakkaB) Established Member (Voting Rights)

From the BPS perspective, the patient has adopted a maladaptive sickness role following the remission of a viral or similar temporarily disabling condition.
    Based on that belief, I guess they would assume that patients have an interest in evidence that 'legitimises the sickness role'.

Of course as we know this is just their theory. Whether it actually holds up to any sort of technical or legal scrutiny is another matter.

6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To get rich on benefits, of course. And to have your mom fussing over you all the time and everyone you know heaping you with cards and flowers and hot soup and stuffed animals.

How else do we get all the reports and graphs showing sick people in general and people with ME in particular are poor, have food insecurity, and isolated?

Either that was a nonsequiter or the first paragraph was ironic.

ETA Wait, that was for the wrong question. I should quit typing now....

7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ROC?

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't we have shed loads of technology simply because, in 14.3 billion years, no one has ever got mind over matter to work as reliably as, say, a tin opener, or a shelf (if at all, ever)?

The existence of, well pretty much everything people make, proves pretty definitively that mind over matter doesn't work, at least in any meaningful/useful way. Making things is hard, people are lazy, if mind over matter worked.....

Quite apart from anything else even if it did work we would still need to understand the problem needing to be solved, which we don't.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  12. Arnie Pye

1) I'm surprised that Twitter handle wasn't snapped up years ago.

2) The account statistics suggest 92 tweets have been tweeted by that account, but I can only see two. :( (I don't have an account.)

13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You might need to look at the other tab: "Tweets and Replies". It might be only 2 tweets are tweets not linked under another one as a reply. ;)

14. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you click on 'tweets and replies' near the top of the page on twitter, you can see the rest (if you can stand it). They claim to have had their research published (but were not involved in the PACE trial). Eg,

https://twitter.com/user/status/977274783921418240

15. Arnie Pye

@Keela Too @Art Vandelay

Very weird... I always have problems with Twitter on Firefox. I can see more when I use Chrome. But I still can't find a way to see all 92 tweets.

I can see this thread : https://twitter.com/user/status/977274783921418240
    which contains only one post by cfs_research plus some posts by other people responding to it.

But if the only link I have is this one : https://twitter.com/cfs_research I can only see two tweets.

Bizarre! If the solution is to open a twitter account though, I'll give it a miss. :)

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  16. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure what you are saying but to see all the tweets for anyone on any browser, you have to click "tweets and replies". If one clicks on "tweets", one doesn't see the replies. Nothing particularly unusual about this.

https://twitter.com/cfs_research
    https://twitter.com/cfs_research/with_replies

ladycatlover likes this.
  18. Arnie Pye

upload_2018-3-27_17-12-12.png

If I click on your first link I only see the above 2 tweets. If I click on your second link I get asked to sign up or log in. I can't bypass that request in any way.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK.

20. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member