1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rethinking the treatment of CFS — a reanalysis and evaluation of findings from a recent major trial of GET and CBT (2018) Wilshire et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Agree, the Guardian has been woeful in its coverage of ME.

2. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm generally a deep believer in things being cock-up rather than conspiracy*. Despite being more aligned politically to the Grauniad than the Mail, I think the former has been worse on ME because it has a worldview that is more deferential to doctors/scientists/the NHS. Whereas the Mail loves a ‘boffins got it wrong’ story. Either prejudice can get it wrong - the Guardian on ME, the Mail on MMR - but it is depressing to see a paper that proclaims to be on the side of the vulnerable often end up punching down.

*Talking of conspiracy, I think the Canary article by Steve Topple is likely to harm rather than help our cause - given his history of engaging in conspiracy theories and tropes many might consider anti-Semitic, he’s an ally I can do without thanks. If you wanted to give the impression that ME ‘activists’ are conspiracy-minded loons, he’s precisely the person you’d have advocating on PACE.

Dr Carrot and TiredSam like this.
  3. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Carolyn Wilshire We're discussing the TSC and TMG meetings over on this thread, if you'd like to join us: https://www.s4me.info/threads/pace-trial-tsc-and-tmg-minutes-released.3150/

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe it's more about the fact that the health editor seems to have a very restrictive view of the illness. I wrote a very polite email to her when she wrote a piece about the benefits of the Lightning Process, which she responded to very curtly and said she wouldn't be replying to any further emails I would send :thumbsdown:

6. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Healthwise's "Contact Us" webpage was broken, and their webmaster was grateful to me for letting her know about it.

Once fixed, I sent Healthwise a link to the paper, asking them yet again to consider removing CBT/GET from their ME/CFS materials.

Unsurprisingly, Healthwise didn't respond.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Binkie4, Jan, Indigophoton and 10 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sea, Invisible Woman, Inara and 11 others like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think John Slater's comment (see post #190 above) really emphasises how vital it is for clinical trialling of behavioural remedies to control not just for trial-intervention-compensatory behaviour outside of the trial, but for illness-adjustment-changing behaviour outside of the trial, which as John clarifies was dramatic. The more I learn about PACE, the more it seems not just a badly controlled trial, but an out of control trial.

sea, Invisible Woman, Inara and 16 others like this.
  14. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Via Peter Tatchell's twitter (linked above) I got to this link :

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/part_funding_of_the_pace_trial_b

A quote from the DWP on that link :

Whenever I read any kind of comment like this it always make me think of the Auchwitz entrance with its motto "Arbeit Macht Frei" (Work Sets You Free).

alktipping, sea, Samuel and 20 others like this.
  15. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wrote this in a comment the other day but deleted it before publishing because of Godwin's Law. It's also the motto behind PACE, I feel.

Invisible Woman, Inara, Jan and 6 others like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To the above tweet Michael Sharpe simply said "Except it doesn't."

It is clear he does not give a shit about patients.

Invisible Woman, Jan, Barry and 5 others like this.
  17. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Iain Duncan Smith actually said "look work actually helps free people". Lord Freud abstacted disabled people into "Stock". I can why you would get the impression that that could only be done, publicly, in a society that approves of punishing poor people and other undesirables. (i.e the real world we live in)

The whole philosophy is a bastardisation of the banal fact that people with enough income to satisfy their wants and needs are healthier on average. Income was turned into 'work' because another way to increase income is by wealth redistribution policies to the poor.

Invisible Woman, Inara, Jan and 7 others like this.
  18. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

I always think of this gif when Sharpe and Wessely attempt to defend PACE.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    sea, Invisible Woman, JemPD and 17 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you or someone else please tell me how to stop such moving images moving?! They do my eyes and sometimes my head in!

mango, Nellie, Barry and 2 others like this.
  20. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Afraid you cannot do that without blocking all or most images I'm afraid MeSci. (I think)

I'm sure Art didn't mean to cause annoyance, it's just one of those things we do without really thinking.