1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rethinking the treatment of CFS — a reanalysis and evaluation of findings from a recent major trial of GET and CBT (2018) Wilshire et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could do it as spoiler?

2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm extremely sorry @MeSci I've edited my post per @Barry 's helpful suggestion.

alktipping, Barry, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, @Art Vandelay! Other people have posted these type of images and I haven't criticised them, but just felt that it needed addressing this time!

4. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too :) There is also something called Arbeitstherapie ("work therapy", i.e. increasing physical and mental well-being by working) - this is an official "therapy" in Germany. Of course, you don't get paid for the "work". Strictly, Arbeitstherapie goes back to the Euthanasia program by the Nazis. It's therefore a bit shocking that it still exists...but to be "fair", then, sick people who could still work weren't murdered (but had to work), today it's only a "therapy".

5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if they meant the 'original' reanalysis the PACE team put on their website after the tribunal forced some data out?

8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think the PACE people had tried to push the message that the reanalysis didn't show anything different from their published results (I guess they would claim a statistical significance) so it may be pandering to that view.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The review is here:
    https://www.jwatch.org/na46472/2018/04/06/chronic-fatigue-treatment-redux-questioning-efficacy-cbt
    The comment is very odd:
    Either they didn't read the Wishire paper properly, or one of the PACE PI's wrote that comment.

10. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or both.

Luther Blissett, MeSci, Barry and 6 others like this.
  11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The other thing about BMC Neurology is that the journal added an editorial note to the published protocol noting that investigators are supposed to stick to their protocols and that readers should contact the investigators if there is any deviation from the protocol. I cited this attached editorial note in my series.

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it also should be appreciated that work does of course have its place in helping people recover from conditions where serious psychological factors are an issue, and there are no (remaining) physiological encumbrances. Occupational therapy is a form of this for people with depression etc, and is perfectly valid.

What these bl**dy people cannot get their heads around (maybe because they are stuck too far up somewhere) is that work is no sodding use at all as a therapy for an energy-depleting illness where physical and cognitive effort makes you more ill! I mean, how complicated is that?!

13. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Oooh, that's going to really upset a certain Norwegian pro-BPS advocate! Get ready for the latest twitter rant!

16. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd add the caveat that 'work' is not the same as meaningful activity. Even in their studies that praise work there are warnings about the type of work involved. This is often ignored when put into policy. Sometimes it is the work environment that has made or majorly contributed to the illness in the first place. Now if we have the combination of meaningful activity along with income, that is a good combination.

I get annoyed by policy makers ignoring the distinction. I used to be involved with a group at an allotment that turned about 20 plots into a wildlife garden, with all the work being done by people with mental illness. It provided meaningful and enjoyable activity for patients, helped give a reason for leaving the home, social interaction, stress reduction for the mental health workers, reduced stigma, and received support from allotment tenants.

It used to be run all day on a Tuesday and on Friday mornings. Liked by all the professionals, including the head of the Mental Health Trust.

It got closed down by cuts due to austerity. Yet these idiots get vastly more sums of money for making sick people sicker.

Argh! :banghead:

Lisa108, Inara, Snow Leopard and 17 others like this.
  17. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yes, and I don't think you can make a blanket statement that all work is good for your psychological wellbeing, its an empirical question whose answer will depend on the type of work and the person. Its pretty easy to think of types of work that might have a net negative impact on a person, such as working in a slaughterhouse, a poultry factory, a mine, or a sweatshop in Asia.

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yes, @Woolie, I bet the politicians who spout the nonsense about work being good for people have never worked in the sort of shit jobs vulnerable people are forced to take or completely lose the means to survive.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember a classic 'Question time' moment when Sir Eric Pickles (Con MP) was trying to justify his expenses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYl6WW5ypRE

Inara, Invisible Woman, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Luther Blissett, Woolie and Inara like this.