1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Problematic training courses - please add

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Sly Saint, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[The Andrew Sims Centre: Mental Health & Learning Disability]

Essentials: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME - The Past, The Present, The Future

Wednesday 25th March 2020
    The Met Hotel, King Street, Leeds, LS1 2HQ
    https://www.andrewsimscentre.nhs.uk/book-events/chronic-fatigue-syndroome

more info
    https://www.andrewsimscentre.nhs.uk/assets/downloads/form---cfs---25.03.20.pdf

Invisible Woman and Esther12 like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Hypnotherapy CPD in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia
    http://psi-training.co.uk/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-fibromyalgia/

3. Sly Saint

shak8 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading the NICE guidelines talking about 'appropriately trained' staff made me think about this thread.... do we think that UK medicine is likely to be appropriately training people on ME/CFS? Is there anything we could suggest as an improvement for the NICE guidelines to help things?

Michelle, rvallee and chrisb like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only real change would come from an explicit repudiation of the current psychological paradigm, that it's wrong and invalid, caused enormous harm. IOM went there based on the evidence, it speaks for itself. Maybe that's too hard to swallow but this is what's needed. Especially given how secretive these things work out, a good example being the training modules based on FINE that are impossible to access without special codes and likely form the basis of what NHS use internally, rather than the current NICE guidelines.

Anything less will be insufficient, but it is admission of massive failure and that means accountability, lots of hard questions about impossible promises made years ago. Difficult to maintain while the NHS is full speed ahead with IAPT, MUS and FND and all that crap.

The point may be made and simply rejected but I don't see any alternative to making it explicitly.

Snowdrop likes this.
  6. rvallee

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
  7. Sly Saint

https://www.ichypnosis.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-m-e

(next course is at KCL)

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  8. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read read whole thread

Do we need a repository for published materials that might get taken down now the new guidelines are out? Practitioners handbooks, patient guides, Web pages etc?

MEMarge, Sly Saint and Trish like this.
  9. Sly Saint

hopefully this thread might be a starting point although it was started a while ago and I don't know if anyone has started to check. There is sooo much crap out there that needs sorting out I think it would take forever to put together a list. But it's definitely something that needs addressing.

Personally I think the big ones are going to be the NHS sites. Hopefully the charities will start to make headroads in that area, although they appear to have been quite happy to have their names associated with quite a lot of questionable content in the past.

alktipping, Trish and Starlight like this.
  10. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess the question is what exactly might we want to hold people to account for in the future, and then as a start anybody interested in collecting things could pick an area and look for anything published by the local unis and services

alktipping likes this.
  11. Sly Saint

12. rvallee

Aaaah, the asymmetry of bullshit mixed with unaccountable abuse of statutory authority. In other words: might makes right.

13. Sly Saint

The MEA writes to GP Notebook about their information for GPs on exercise for people with ME/CFS

July 6, 2022

The ME Association writes to GP Notebook about their information for GPs on exercise for people with ME/CFS – last reviewed November 2021

https://meassociation.org.uk/2022/0...n-for-gps-on-exercise-for-people-with-me-cfs/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2022
    MEMarge likes this.