1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal stories of CBT for ME, blogs videos

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Sly Saint, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New thread created for posting any videos and blogs about people with ME experiences of CBT

the first three posts have been moved from CBT for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) - Psychology tools.com

Bit of a mixed bag of messages.
    CBT THERAPY for CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME Why is it controversial? Medical Research and my Experience
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIXFuc-j2fQ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2020
    Starlight, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just watched the video. I think it is very good.

This young woman has ME/CFS and also suffered quite severe comorbid depression/anxiety. She tried CBT for the depression as a teenager, but was too depressed to talk to the therapist. She gives a very good description of how the depression affected her.

She was then put on antidepressants and gradually the depression improved to the extent she was able to go back to the same CBT therapist who she said was very helpful in getting her to deal with her thoughts and significantly improved her anxiety/depression.

She also makes it very clear the CBT had no impact whatsoever on her ME symptoms including fatigue and pain and inability to exercise.

Her recommendation is clear - CBT can be helpful for comorbid mental health problems and is completely useless for ME/CFS.

She included the PACE data and reanalysis on recovery rates, and rates of depression/anxiety in adolescent ME.

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Many ME sufferers also have, or have had, mental health issues, and have got the help and treatment they need. Which shows what a lie it is to claim that we stigmatise mental illness. We can just tell the difference.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

not about cbt, but didn't want to create a new thread.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pIPAEQcnc
    "
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) - what is it?
    3 views 31 Jul 2022 Part 01 of 02, describing the biological dysfunction which causes this rehabilitating symptom"

clearly all their 'research' hasn't got the basics sorted out.