1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha: A novel, inflammation-based, proxy model of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Pariante et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by MeSci, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, ladycatlover, Simone and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I thought.

I think this is internal MRC politics.

I think this press release is intended to tell the world that the MRC has known about ME all along and has had brilliant people working hard on it and still does and so there is no need for a 'second referendum' on some new plan dreamt up by the CMRC.

Pariente's work has always been of considerable interest and is an intelligent approach. However, we have known the main punch line for five years now and all it can possibly tell us is that ME might work in a rather similar way to interferon treatment.

Edit: the question is - who is trying to tell the world this?

janice, Hutan, Forestvon and 31 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reporting in the press presents this study about being primarily about CFS when it's really primarily about adverse effects of interferon treatment.

Maybe this is more about distracting from the adverse effects of interferon treatment than about CFS? If interferon treatment can cause persistent fatigue, that persistent fatigue is conflated with CFS, and CFS is characterized by fear-avoidance and deconditioning and is reversible if the patient wants it, then continued illness after interferon treatment isn't really an adverse drug reaction, it's just some patients being hysterical (or somethign to that effect). Drug manufacturers and hospitals would like to have it that way I suspect.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    feeb, ladycatlover, Simone and 10 others like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They should avoid taking candy from strangers.

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yes, briefing given by Pariante and Russell on Friday morning.

janice, ladycatlover, Simone and 12 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just listened to the interview with Carmine Pariante and an ME sufferer called Emily Blunt (I think). It was actually quite a good interview, emphasising that ME is real and not just tiredness.

Pariante seemed to be suggesting that the people in his study who had the overactive immune response had actually developed CFS, not just the symptom CF. I thought the paper only claimed they deveoped CF, and that it might be a proxy for CFS.

Hutan, janice, MSEsperanza and 22 others like this.
  7. JohnTheJack

They did. Friday morning briefing.

ladycatlover, Simone, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  8. Trish

Is there a link to a press release?

ladycatlover, MSEsperanza and MEMarge like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, I think that is off target. These people are wanting to understand the biochemistry of depression. This particular study has always been about modelling CFS and I think that is what it really is about. I think it is useful research. I don't think anyone in this research group is interested in suggesting that continued fatigue after interferon is hysteria. Psychiatrists are desperate to have a biological basis to their work to make it legitimate. Even Simon Wessely tried to find one.

feeb, janice, TrixieStix and 19 others like this.
  10. JohnTheJack

I haven't seen one. I was just told about the briefing.

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the study has some 19 authors ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453018301963?via=ihub ), why are conflicts of interest only love stead for seven? What about the other twelve?

Here are the institutions the authors represent:

ladycatlover and MSEsperanza like this.
  13. Trish

We have a thread on the Pariante paper here with a link to the pre-publication abstract on the university website here. And his talk at the CMRC conference here. I assume the publicity today means the paper is about to be published, so we'll be able to see the full version, not just the abstract.

Hutan, ladycatlover, Simone and 9 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The S4ME version of a rapid reaction to the hype.
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/sci4me/posts/732919633761115

15. JohnTheJack

I take a much less charitable view of this study than many here. I think it's garbage and irrelevant to ME and welcoming it is a trap.

First, it's not about ME. It's about fatigue after interferon.

Second, why do some people have overactive immune systems? Well, because of personality type, stress or trauma, of course.

Third, how is this fatigue triggered? By a virus. And also by stress or trauma, of course.

Fourth, once the patient has fatigue, how is it perpetuated? By unhelpful beliefs, of course.

Fourth, how is this fatigue treated? By addressing the personality type, stress or trauma with therapy and the moderated increase of activity in GET, of course.

Pariante's work is all about the interplay of psychology and the immune system.

It's just a more complex version of the usual crap.

I don't have fatigue. I'm ill.

feeb, janice, Judee and 35 others like this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Looks like either Carol Monaghan or Westminster Hall are now officially "emotional".

NICE is a watchdog is it? Well that explains why we have all been robbed of so many years while NICE was asleep or chewing on a tasty bone someone chucked it.

BBC article headed by a picture of a typical ME sufferer:

upload_2018-12-17_10-12-0.png

Come on now, own up, which one of you bravely posed for that on one of your bad days? Is that some EFT tapping going on there, or did you swoon and hold your nose after reading the BBC article?

janice, Keebird, Hutan and 23 others like this.
  17. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone confirm what time the radio coverage was on? And what station, if not Radio 4. Thanks

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'll go along with that. How many ways can it be taken apart? I'll start with small sample size.

19. Trish

Radio 4 Today program. Brief news item at about 7.06 am. Longer interview item at about 8.50 am.

20. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That got a giggle

SarahandElly, alex3619 and MEMarge like this.