1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha: A novel, inflammation-based, proxy model of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Pariante et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by MeSci, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it was justified to try to make use of funding for CFS to look at the side effects of interferon alpha, as that provided a convenient sample of people they could look at in a controlled way.

Ideally they'd be able to do this sort of research on those coming down with something like EBV, but that would be extremely difficult to do as we don't know when people are going to come down with that (assuming we're not infecting people for the sake of our experiment).

I think that the basic idea of the experiment was fine and potentially interesting (although longer follow up was really needed), but then their weak results from a small sample of questionable relevance to CFS were hugely over-hyped.

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is why you recruit large numbers in a prospective study, such as the Dubbo study. You then track them for years.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but we still don't get biological measures of immune response immediately as infection begins.

4. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

And look what Pariante says on his Twitter profile: 'I want to know why stress makes us ill, and how to get better.'

He's doing this research because he wants to show stress damages the immune system and causes a physical illness, namely 'CFS'. And KCL are backing him because they will then treat the illness with CBT and GET to restore the immune system, reversing the stress damage. For the BPS crowd it's always been about the interplay between psychology and physiology. His is just a more complex version.

ETA: to tidy up some grammar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Sbag, Chezboo, rvallee and 21 others like this.
  5. JohnTheJack

Yes, and in the interview, he responded to my mention of the multi-systemic nature of ME by claiming the immune system can cause multi-systemic changes, including the brain and the liver.

6. JohnTheJack

No. We just want good science.

7. JohnTheJack

Thanks.

Forestvon, MeSci, dangermouse and 8 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ScienceAlert has 9 million followers on Facebook

dangermouse, JaimeS, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Quote from the Science Alert article:
    Most rigorous biological investigation? Really?

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Neuroscience News
    https://neurosciencenews.com/chronic-fatigue-immune-10371/

11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good summary from MEAction: - Post-interferon fatigue study - a mixed bag

Hutan, Chezboo, RuthT and 20 others like this.
  12. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are some pretty bold statements in that ScienceAlert article:

Hutan, MEMarge, dangermouse and 7 others like this.
  13. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh dear.

Sad, but not exactly shocking.

MEMarge, dangermouse, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  14. JaimeS

It's not -- those were two, separate groups in the study.

[Edit: I see @Michiel Tack already noted this! :)]

MEMarge likes this.
  15. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My brother was having Hep C interferon treatment at the very time of my severe ME onset, same year. His exhaustion sounded similar to mine. I had full-blown ME (in a huge and overwhelming immunological storm) that would not dissipate. It took a good two years for that immunological storm to abate. I would never want to experience anything like that again. Very frightening to feel your immune system in such a volatile state.

Sorry I have only been able to skim some posts.

Hutan, Sid, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  16. JaimeS

17. JaimeS

Yes.

That's a considerable omission. What we're looking at, then, is people with a strong immune response to viruses or with a particularly severe viral infection and commensurate response.

Yes, maybe. Or perhaps what they have is a functional but sluggish immune response, such that when it finally 'kicks in', the response is pretty nuclear.

If only we had better research into genetics.

18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is a logistical problem that can be solved. Its possible to track this within twenty four hours if you are prepared, but that would mean pre-existing responses set up, and that costs even more money. These issues are fixable, but the better the fix the more expensive it is, and therefore the harder it is to sell to grant bodies.

Robert 1973, EzzieD, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  19. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this is a repeat, I apologise!

From LocalME;

https://steamtraen.blogspot.com/2018/12/have-scientists-found-explanation-for.html

"Thanks for posting that link V.
    Prof Pariante did not make clear that this study was not about ME, but Jon Peters was very good and he pointed this out. He was also very good at pointing out there is a lot of other research finding biomedical abnormalities.

I haven't read the study myself, but there is a critique of the study in a blog article by Nick Brown, link below. The SMC was behind the publicity (who'd have guessed?)."

Some excerpts from Nick Brown's article:

"I was allowed in without a press pass after identifying myself as a researcher, but when I tried to get clarification of a point that had been made during the presentation I was told that only reporters (i.e., not researchers or other members of the public) were allowed to ask questions."

"There are many possible causes of fatigue, and I don't think that the authors have given us any good reason to believe that the fatigue that was reported by their hepatitis C patients six months after finishing an exhausting medical procedure that itself lasted for half a year or more was caused by the same mechanism (whatever that might be) as the multi-year ongoing fatigue in ME/CFS patients, especially since, for all we know, some or all of the 18 cases of persistent fatigue might have been only marginal (i.e., a small amount worse than baseline) or resolved themselves within not too many months."

"None of the eight-week or 12-week results appear in the article, and the two from the end of treatment are extremely unconvincingly argued (see previous paragraph). It is possible that the authors simply did not perform any tests on these results, but I am inclined to believe that they did run these tests and found not to provide support for their hypotheses."

"I don't find Russell et al.'s study to be very convincing. My guess is that different cytokine levels do not predict fatigue in either hepatitis C/IFN-α patients or ME/CFS patients, and that the purported relation between cytokine levels at four weeks into the IFN-α treatment and subsequent fatigue may well just be noise. In terms of explaining how ME/CFS begins, let alone how we might prevent or cure it, this study may not get us any closer to the truth."

MEMarge and Lisa108 like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yup, shared in this thread already and Nick Brown has posted a couple of times as well.