Per Fink awarded the "Civil Courage" prize, Sept 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Urm there isn't a puke emoji here. Sorry, I should make a more together post but right now all I can say is this prize makes me want to VOMIT. Puke. Sick. And so on.

I'm an angry old lady.

Annamaria, MEMarge, Channa and 11 others like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

puke.jpg

Annamaria, MEMarge, Amw66 and 12 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't find the thread about Per Fink hiring a PR firm - his institution is state run, correct? Who is paying for the public relations firm? Danish taxpayers?

If they are, would they be happy that their taxes are going not to "health care" of a sort, but glossy brochure type stuff to defend a practitioner?

If indeed it is the case that taxpayers are paying the bill.

About the award for courageous patients, a name suggestion: courage in the face of government sanctioned medical tyranny.

Annamaria, Channa, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Getting your mates to award you a prize is a great idea!

Looking forward to my 'best talking snow leopard' award from you guys!

Annamaria, MEMarge, JoanneS and 18 others like this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Compare with the EAPM's Alison Creed Award in memory of Alison Creed for life time achievement in the field of Psychosomatic Medicine/Consultation Liaison Psychiatry.

(Alison Creed is the late wife of Prof emeritus Frances Creed.)

https://www.eapm.eu.com/category/eapm-awards/alison-creed-award/

Life time EAPM awardees

Alison Creed Award: Prof. Else Guthrie, Leeds, UK
    Frits Huyse Award: Prof. Fritz Stiefel, Lausanne, Switzerland

Alison Creed Award: Prof. Arthur J. Barsky, Boston, USA
    Frits Huyse Award: Prof. Marco Rigatelli, Modena, Italy

Alison Creed Award: Prof. Per Fink, Aarhus, Denmark
    Frits Huyse Award: Prof. Graça Cardoso, Lisbon, Portugal

Alison Creed Award: Prof. Michael Sharpe, Oxford, UK
    Frits Huyse Award: Prof. James Strain, New York, USA

Alison Creed Award: Prof. Kurt Kroenke, Indianapolis, USA
    Frits Huyse Award: Prof. Francis Creed, Manchester, UK

Annamaria, MEMarge, Channa and 5 others like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

This thread?

https://www.s4me.info/threads/denmark-interview-with-per-fink-in-dagens-medicin.11218/

Denmark: Interview with Per Fink in Dagens Medicin

Annamaria, Channa, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Will this snazzy portrait of your good self do instead?

Snow Leopard.jpg

(Open pic in new tab for magnificent full size version.)

MEMarge, Hutan, rainy and 14 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article from Danish Medical Journal. I think it's inconceivable of the journalist to repeat the attacks on ME patients without covering anything about the patient's side of the story.
    Ugeskriftet: Per Fink hædres for at stå fast, når fagligheten står for skud
    google translation: Per Fink is honoured for standing firm, men the profession is attacked

The highly activist ME Association (ME = myalgic encephalomyelitis) has for years harassed and discredited Per Fink and the center in Aarhus, where the association and its supporters have filmed patients and demonstrated in front of the research clinic at Nørrebrogade with banners, megaphones and calls from the bottom drawer. They have been angered that chronic fatigue syndrome is not categorized as a somatic disorder, and they do not believe that neither cognitive therapy nor graduated training is widely used as treatment. Yes, that can be downright harmful.

- Could you have wished that voices other than your own rose in favor of professionalism when it comes to the treatment of functional disorders?

“Many colleagues have refrained from interfering in the debate, which I can understand with the harsh tone there can be. But yes, I have missed that more people signed up on the track. It would be nice not to be the only one. But I think it's about to turn. That more voice their agreement, 'says Per Fink.

“Diseases do not disappear because they are reclassified. It should be left to the professionals how a given disease should be understood and treated. Professionalism should always be at the forefront. As a stand we must constantly fight for, ”says Peter Vestergaard.

Woolie, MEMarge, Sean and 10 others like this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

11. DokaGirl

12. DokaGirl

Professionalism does not automatically equal ethical behaviour. Somehow, society has conflated the two: ethics and professionals - professionals are better (superior) human beings. :banghead:

The pocket Oxford English Dictionary indicates: "professionalism" is "the ability or skill expected of a professional."

This dictionary defines a professional as: "1 relating to or belonging to a profession. 2 engaged in an activity as a paid job rather than as an amateur: 3 competent. 1 a professional person. 2 a person who is very skilled in a particular activity."

Nothing said about ethics. Something that one would hope professionals have and use in working with more vulnerable people, e.g. patients. Unfortunately, not always the case.

Woolie, ladycatlover, Channa and 4 others like this.
  13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If professionals aren't serving the needs of their clients, then who are they serving?

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Channa and 4 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, yes, they do. Literally Fink's work.

MEMarge, Sean, Atle and 8 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He could go on a nice holiday for that money. I think Simon Wessely recommended Afghanistan for this time of year....

Woolie, MEMarge, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes it would be very easy for Godwins Law to come into play but I will restrain myself.

Woolie, DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would that be the Scottish Play, not otherwise to be mentioned, or is this more a case of the PFink of Denmark?

Atle, DokaGirl, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There seems to be an "official" organization that has trademarked the term "Civil Courage Prize," and its related symbol, in the U.S.

CCP.jpg
    http://www.civilcourageprize.org/

I get the feeling that this organization had nothing directly to do with the prize awarded by the Jutlandic Medical Society. However, they do encourage the use of the term "civil courage," and, apparently, even encourage the use of the term "Civil Courage Prize" and its trademarked symbol.
    This seems kind of odd, since they would seem to have no control over how others use their trademarked property.

This organization's intent, vis a vis the prize, is:
    [bolding mine]

But since they don't seem to exercise any control over the use of the term, I suppose one could be awarded a prize of that name for flower arranging.

Whether the Jutlandic Medical Society knew of, or intended to follow, the philosophy of the people who trademarked this "prize" is an open question. If this were their intention, however, I would take issue with the implication that those who are in opposition to a certain physician's opinions are "evil."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Woolie, MEMarge, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is tempting to speculate that underneath all this is some clandestine organisation such as a cabal or the Freemasons.

So the truth is evil now? That sounds fairly standard for certain part of the globe these days.
    All dreadfully Shakespearian I guess - or maybe Marlowe in disguise.

I have a rule of always giving people the benefit of the doubt. However, as the plot unravels I realise that I have no need. These people must be in trouble to need to engage in these Lilliputian antics. No serious scientist would accept a prize in the context - for standing up to reasonable criticism by patients.

MEMarge, Mithriel, Arnie Pye and 11 others like this.
  20. Dx Revision Watch