1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Per Fink awarded the "Civil Courage" prize, Sept 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

DokaGirl likes this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the prize awarded to PF the same prize?

That the prize was inspired by Alexander Solzhenitzyn -- oh the irony.

DokaGirl likes this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps Aarhus is rather like the Gulag. Is there an archipelago nearby?

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Anna H and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Denmark IS an archipelago.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Anna H and 3 others like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Lots of psychiatrists. Tools of the regime used for political ends.

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was exactly my response. The whole thing is perverse.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I reckon they just nicked the name to make it sound impressive.

ukxmrv, Anna H, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The prize awarded to by the Jutlandic Medical Society for "Civil Courage" is not the same as the "Civil Courage Prize" awarded by the Train Foundation at http://www.civilcourageprize.org/.

The former comes with a $3,700 dollar prize; the latter with a $50,000 prize.

The Train Foundation holds the U.S. trademark on "The Civil Courage Prize," but encourages others to use the term "civil courage," and welcomes the use by others of the term "Civil Courage Prize®."

This may not mean that they welcome others to bestow their own "Civil Courage Prize," which may explain why the article refers to the Jydsk Medical Society's "Prize for Civil Courage," rather than their "Civil Courage Prize."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  10. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No chance they meant Civil Scourge?

ukxmrv, Woolie, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  11. Snowdrop

Thank you for that @NelliePledge and @Forbin

I thought this had to be the case. So they used the name of an already existing award. :rolleyes:

12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to the article in the Danish Medical Journal (post #29) this is the second time Jydsk Medicinsk Selskab (a local medical association) in their 106 year long history gives the prize for Civil Courage. First time was in 2015 when the prize was given to professor Hans Jørn Kolmos as a recognition of his work on multiresistent bacteria.

Jydsk Medicinsk Selskab have 7 board members, 3 of them from Aarhus where Per Fink is located. http://jydskmedicinskselskab.org/?page_id=57

ukxmrv, Woolie, lycaena and 8 others like this.
  13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So you've been talking to another Snow Leopard behind my back!?! :jawdrop:

What are friends for, if not giving fake awards?

ukxmrv, Anna H, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

https://twitter.com/user/status/1176047920023527424

Translation of tweet from the Danish ME Association:
    The ME Association is not behind harassment towards Per Fink. The ME Association has today sent an open letter to the Danish Medical Journal as a reply to Per Fink's statements in the Danish Medical Journal sept. 20th. Read the letter (tagging politicians)

The open letter is to chief editor Bo Hasseriis, the Danish Medical Journal.
    It refutes the article's statement that the Danish ME Association has harassed Per Fink and reminds the editor that it's good practice to let the other part give their version. The ME Association does not believe that threats and insults increase understanding and is working for information and communication in a factual matter.

The ME Association can't take the responsibility for individual communication from patients or other citizens. They encourage members to keep a good tone.

The misinformed and discrediting statements from the article, which were unchallenged, are destroying for a patient organisation.

Further the ME Association would like to know if the Danish Medical Journal is a member of the Danish Press Council.

Here is the letter in full in Danish:
    https://me-foreningen.dk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Åbent-brev-til-Ugeskrift-for-Læger_sept-2019.pdf

Woolie, Annamaria, TiredSam and 12 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

There's an ongoing debate about the article on the Facebook page to the Danish Medical Journal where the editor Bo Hasseriis has joined saying that one are welcome to disagree with Per Fink, but the article was about the prize Per Fink received by his colleagues, and not a research article. Therefore it is arbitrary and irrelevant to discuss the content of Per Fink's work in this connection.

Sly Saint, Joh, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If that translation is close to correct, that is an absurd thing to say. If Fink's work is of poor quality and legitimate patient concerns have been dismissed then that is an important thing to investigate in the context of this prize.

Woolie, Annamaria, Atle and 13 others like this.
  17. Kalliope

I agree @Esther12
    Even more strange to suddenly start bashing on a patient organisation if it was supposed to be an article only about a price given by some colleagues.

But the Danish Medical Journal has now at least added a link to the open letter towards the end of the article.

It's added as a comment:
    The Danish Medical Journal has received an open letter from the ME Association as a reaction on this article. The Danish Medical Journal has changed the wording in question from "The Danish ME Association" to "ME-patients and their supporters" (link to open letter).

The section in the article now goes as follows (google translated):

The highly activistic ME patients (ME = myalgic encephalomyelitis) have for years harassed and discredited Per Fink and the center in Aarhus. The patients and their supporters have filmed patients and demonstrated in front of the research clinic at Nørrebrogade with banners, megaphones and calls from the bottom drawer. They have been angered that chronic fatigue syndrome is not categorized as a somatic disorder, and they do not believe that neither cognitive therapy nor graduated training is widely used as treatment. Yes, that it can be downright harmful. [Text corrected - read comment at bottom of article. Ed.]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Woolie, Atle, Sly Saint and 7 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do no harm is nothing but a cheap slogan when consistent testimonies of harm are dismissed as the whinings and ravings of lunatics. All because there is no official process to make such complaints, leaving no choice to otherwise express it.

Bullies attacking sick people so discriminated they are mostly ostracized from their communities and families, insult on top of injury. Like aristocrats attacking the destitute poor for their horrible unwashed stench offending the sensibilities of passersby they are begging from.

This will all look completely insane in hindsight, so absurd.

Annamaria, Mithriel, rainy and 2 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The google translate is difficult for me to understand, but I think this article is saying that the journal just updated the article to change the claim that the "ME Association" was harassing Per Fink to a claim that actually "ME patients and their supporters" are harassing him instead.

Have I read that right?

TiredSam and Kalliope like this.