1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Denmark: Interview with Per Fink in Dagens Medicin

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Danish medical newspaper Dagens Medisin has had a seminar about health where psychiatrist Per Fink was invited.

He talks about how he's been attacked and harassed by patients, and even had a senator speaking against him. His clinic has hired help from a communication agency, the staff has received media training and they've just hired a combined physician and journalist to engage in dialogue with the most critical patients and patient organisations.

When asked whether they've been good enough at involving politicians he says they haven't and that it's problematic that the Parliament listens more to those with rabid meanings than to the profession.

Dagens Medicin: Professor i funktionelle lidelser: Patienter kan ikke selv bestemme, hvad de fejler
    google translation: Professor in functional disorders: the patients can't decide for themselves what's wrong with them

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hiring a communication company, staff receiving media training, hiring a physician/journalist, it just sums them up really, nothing to do with helping patients, just helping themselves.

3. Kalliope

Here is the program for the seminar (in Danish).
    The section where Per Fink spoke was titled How to build bridges
    Director Anne Kaltoft, Heart Association and professor Per Fink, Research clinic for functional disorders, about communicating with the sceptics

alktipping, Joh, ScottTriGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

None of this will turn bad science into good one.

Also, does this mean we should be expecting a journalist to visit this forum? :D

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could someone suggest he/she engages in dialogue with me? I am not a patient or patient organisation but I am critical!

6. Kalliope

I assume that would be press officer Lene Toscano, senior doctor and journalist
    email: lenesanc@rm.dk
    Source: http://funktionellelidelser.dk/kontakt/

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Correct, things would be even worse if it wasn't for people pushing back against this ridiculous pseudoscience. We are well aware of this, it's the same damn problem everywhere.

Still not one bit of reliable evidence that "functional disorders" as Fink describes them are even a thing. PR won't fix that. Everything else is science doing its thing and countering nonsense.

Does he see himself in Wakefield? I bet he doesn't see the obvious parallels. The biggest worry is how this guy has any support. Quacks are a dime a dozen. How is it that otherwise serious institutions are enabling this crap? Fink is seriously unstable, he shouldn't have medical authority over vulnerable people, letting him have free rein is incredibly reckless and irresponsible.

Annamaria, MEMarge, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's very telling that these people don't try to defend their indefensible science, and instead put so much effort into smear-campaigning those legitimately criticising their science.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

epipnoia, MEMarge, TiredSam and 38 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated! Don't have a good overview of who is who in Denmark, but will try to pass it on. Thank you!

11. Hoopoe

There is the Danish ME Foreningen. I have no idea if they are competent but they seem at least a little bit organized. https://me-foreningen.dk/

12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don't need a journalist they need Rumpelstiltskin. In this case he'd have to spin horse manure into gold though.

13. Kalliope

Jonathan Edwards has joined the ME debate in Norway a couple of times, and I believe it has played an important role. One thing is that his inputs of course have been valuable and knowledgable in themselves. But having someone of his academic calibre supporting the patient's side matters even more when the debate is misrepresented as a dispute between patients and "the professionals". I'd be very happy to see such an alley to Danish patients.

14. Kalliope

15. MEinDenmark

MEinDenmark New Member

Here is an example of Lene Toscano's work in 2012. In 2013, she received 3.3 million kroner from the insurance company, Tryg, to convince people to believe in the concepts of Bodily Distress Syndrome and Funktionelle Lidelser. She might be a journalist, but she bought and paid for by Fink.
    http://funktionellelidelser.dk/file...dk/patient_Pjecer/When_the_body_says_stop.pdf

16. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The old "This food is terrible - and such small portions!" defense.

MEMarge, TiredSam, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  17. MEinDenmark

MEinDenmark New Member

Dr. Edwards, Rebecca Hansen here, I would be very pleased to talk to you about representing the Danish ME Association. I have been the chairman since 2010.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  19. Hoopoe

Reading this I get the suspicion that his functional disorder is designed to capture the POTS and small fibre neuropathy phenotype in particular. And of course anything that's unexplained.

His functional disorder is presented essentially as the brain perceiving symptoms of illness where there isn't actually an illness. A problem mainly of perception. Although they also say that the body isn't working correctly either but don't explain what they mean.

It is a very dangerous diagnosis and way of interpreting reality.

20. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have so much to say about this stupid functional disorder construct, but it feels like a waste of time dissecting something that`s made up

Go get em Jonathan!