1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And his views developing over time in public could even have an extra benefit.

2. Tom Kindlon

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exercise is good. I always loved exercise. I miss exercise. It is not a treatment for post-exertional... let's go with exacerbation. I have a feeling the name PEM may vanish from vocabulary soon enough. Though maybe not the best choice of acronym.

The BPS cult will promote their exercise regime. This will hurt COVID patients the same way it hurt ME patients. Let's end this disaster before it begins and rely on scientific evidence, not ideological zealotry.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Paul Garner is Professor at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. He is Director of the Centre for Evidence Synthesis in Global Health and Co-ordinating Editor of the Cochrane Infectious Diseases Group

I know others have said this already, but Professor Garner's experience could be tremendously helpful for us. It's terrific to hear that Dr Shepherd has been in contact with him.

Added: and thanks to Professor Garner's sister. :thumbup:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    MEMarge, 2kidswithME, Kitty and 22 others like this.
  5. rvallee

Copied post

Some more recent coverage.

40 Percent of Coronavirus Patients Have This One Symptom for Weeks
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...-one-symptom-for-weeks/ar-BB15r3Ed?li=BBnbfcL

Man who had coronavirus symptoms still feels 'possessed by a demon' 83 days after falling ill
    The man is professor Paul Gardner. Doesn't appear to have improved much.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-who-coronavirus-symptoms-still-18420073

Kiwis infected with Covid-19 still battling debilitating symptoms, despite being cleared of virus
    One thing I find disappointing is all this "not a big deal, just take months off work and it will be fine" coming from doctors. Most people can't do that, just take months, possibly more, to recover. Without income. Many who have children who don't somehow pause needing parents. Not a big deal. That's completely unrealistic, especially as the most common advice is to ignore it and push through it.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new...litating-symptoms-despite-being-cleared-virus

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2021
  6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gawd. 5 km. When will he LEARN?!

Anna H, 2kidswithME, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Different people have different limits. 5km is not a lot of walking for a healthy person.

JaneL, Sarah94, JemPD and 1 other person like this.
  8. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would love to see the exercise folks in America put covid cases through a two day exercise test and see if they come out exactly the same as m.e. folks. Wonder if professor Garner's seen that piece of research? It's something he should be interested in.

JaneL, Michelle, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's an interesting question, but I think there would be serious ethical issues – Covid survivors may still be experiencing their precipitating infection, they haven't been ill long enough to understand their own limits and symptom profiles, and they may still be capable of making a full recovery if not pushed too hard. Unless a protocol exists that doesn't precipitate full-blown PEM, it's probably too soon?

JaneL, Michelle, MeSci and 11 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ - Paul Garner: Covid-19 at 14 weeks - phantom speed cameras, unknown limits, and harsh penalties

What is worse is that there is increasing evidence that some doctors are dismissing this illness. People write, “I am desperate! My doctor says I have anxiety, but I know this stuff is real”. Health services are largely institutionally prejudiced against people with chronic fatigue and ME, and in some cases these attitudes are framing the service response to covid-19. Yet for us “long haulers” the symptoms are the same, the management schedules are the same, even if we don’t quite fit the somewhat arbitrary definition of “chronic” at 4 months.

A post-viral tsunami is hitting our health services right now, yet in the UK it doesn’t even seem to be on the national agenda. NICE have issued 28 rapid reviews and guidance on covid-19 this year, but their guidance on the chronic fatigue syndrome/mylagic encephalomyelitis is 13 years old.

rainy, MEMarge, hinterland and 21 others like this.
  11. Tom Kindlon

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paul Garner: Covid-19 at 14 weeks—phantom speed cameras, unknown limits, and harsh penalties
    June 23, 2020

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/06/2...d-cameras-unknown-limits-and-harsh-penalties/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2021
    sebaaa, Philipp, Nellie and 37 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Nothing beats living illness to understand it. Even when you are an expert on the topic. Very sad to see him not recovering, even with early advice there is no guarantee that rest and pacing improve things.

I highly appreciate Garner's mention of those less fortunate than him, people living on a strained budget and who simply cannot afford time off work. It brings hope to see empathy in this dark area of medicine, that even in his suffering he recognizes that others are in even more dire need of help.

Strong and important words:
    Muirhead echoed the same in the interview shown on the Times article, plainly called the BPS model of ME wrong and harmful. Medicine has been doing harm to us for decades, the very thing that medicine is never supposed to cause.

Let's end this cycle of mindless institutional violence. It has gone on well past a reasonable point. It will be critical to study and acknowledge the failures that created this human rights disaster, so that we make sure it never happens again. It has been ongoing for over a century and brought nothing but pain, suffering and death.

All on the promise of imaginary savings that will never materialize. Austerity isn't just morally wrong, it doesn't even make economic sense.

Philipp, Nellie, Sarah94 and 34 others like this.
  14. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While it's of course horrible he's going through this. I'm really happy with his writing and impressed with his advocacy.

On top of that with his Cochrane connection. This is going to be good! Watch out BPS.

Nellie, Sarah94, Kitty and 33 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He seems to be increasingly taking the view that this post-covid syndrome is probably often ME/CFS.

Kitty, ladycatlover, EzzieD and 22 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Really good article. Paul Garner, if you're reading this, I'm really sorry you are still so sick. And I'm also hugely grateful that you are using some of your limited energy to put the story accurately. You are helping people with post Covid symptoms and at the same time helping people with ME who have been saying the same to our doctors for decades and not being heard.

Sarah94, RuthT, Kitty and 35 others like this.
  17. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Generally excellent I thought, is he in any way involved with the Cochraine exercise review ?

That part sounds a bit like unsupported psycobabble though.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    ukxmrv, Sarah94, lycaena and 20 others like this.
  18. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, the use of the word "bust" worried me slightly...although I am not an expert by any means. He is definitely in contact with Hilda Bastian about the review.

Snow Leopard, Kitty, Chezboo and 23 others like this.
  19. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really dislike the term ‘long haulers’- it edges on the derogatory side, almost blaming the patient for not recovering as quickly as they should.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  20. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds very much like the BACME use of ‘boom and bust’?

Kitty, Wonko, lunarainbows and 4 others like this.