1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes and I wondered if it was a damage limitation exercise, trying to cool down the furor surrounding PG's BMJ piece because he came out of that really badly and they realised this so they tried to mitigate it a wee bit by getting him and Gerada on TV to make him seem not as extreme and unpleasant towards PWME and PWLC? i.e. no mention from either of them of military type exercise, limited derogatory comments about ME/CFS and online groups, much more toned down but definitely not good.

And I find it interesting that they had Gerada on too.

Could the BPS/SMC cabal have been behind helping PG to get all the media and BMJ coverage he has had over the past months?

I was astonished reading Suffolkres post 237 on this thread (page 12) with all the media coverage he has had, but maybe that is what can legitimately happen in the media in such situations with no pushing from the shadows, I don't know, but having Gerada pop up like that makes me immediately suspicious.

2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's never off News 24! I've developed a bad habit of leaving it on some some days after watching the lunchtime news, and she seems to pop up onscreen at least once a week, answering some question or other about Covid. The BBC doesn't seem to know another GP/former GP.

Joan Crawford, Hutan, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/our-ceo-responds-to-prof-paul-garner/

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, does look like the whole thing didn't go quite as they expected.

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a shame they don't have anyone to advise them on media presentation.

6. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here’s the transcript of what Clare Gerada said:

I will do the transcript for PG’s bit in a separate post, I’m about halfway through it now.

7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barry, sebaaa, Mithriel and 30 others like this.
  8. Ben McNevis

Ben McNevis Established Member

Paul Garner
    @PaulGarnerWoof

·
    Jan 25
    I had Long Covid & met Canadian consensus criteria for ME/CFS. I have recovered: I feel that I have looked down the barrel of the ME/CFS gun and disarmed it. I write this to my fellow longhaulers #LongCovid #MECFS #postviral #longhaulers https://tinyurl.com/y6py7hrh

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disarmed it? No

What he's done is taken it and pointed it at us.

shak8, Helene, ladycatlover and 23 others like this.
  10. Ben McNevis

Ben McNevis Established Member

Can we expect an assault on NICE draft guidelines?

#DrWoof works in close proximity to Mike Beardsworth , and Trish Greenhalgh's intervention looks as if it was choreographed by Prof Sir Simon Wessely. I was concerned at our glorious #ME charities self congratulatory outpourings over recent draft guidelines. Chris Burton (see graphic ) is director of - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/research/centres/ctru/mss3

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2021
    sebaaa, shak8, Joan Crawford and 3 others like this.
  11. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might it be quicker to list ones that are? It's not going to improve many cancers, autoimmune conditions, dementias, or even some degenerative diseases...

13. Wonko

She did say that it was good for everything - she didn't limit it to medical matters ;)

So a little bit of moderate exercise may be all we need to repay the national debt, cure world hunger, get perishable food into the EU before it spoils, and rising sea levels, floods, people melting in the streets, all can, according to Clare Gerada be solved by moderate exercise, as all fit within 'everything' - universe full of options for things that exercise doesn't, IMO, help - but she is the 'expert' so I'm probably wrong.

Why do I feel like this is like the 70s/80s videos on how to survive a nuke?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    sebaaa, shak8, Joan Crawford and 15 others like this.
  14. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And as promised here’s the transcript of what Paul Garner’s said:

That’s all of it. I’m off for a rest now.

sebaaa, shak8, ScottTriGuy and 37 others like this.
  15. Wonko

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a moment. He has learnt about the importance of gentle exercise. I thought he was engaging in military style exercises with his mates in Sefton Park. The message seems to be mixed.

17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One consolation is that they are way too heavy-handed and moving too fast at once. Going to promote a N=1 anecdote after just a few weeks on national television like this takes all the subtlety of the years-long approach they took with us.

Which is interesting because although they go to serious efforts to keep the two separated, their motivation in pushing this for LC is obviously the precedent with us. Which they can't admit. The only alternative is milking individual anecdotes like this, which is dereliction of duty.

At least this will completely discredit Greenhalgh, but it also discredits the entire system of medicine. These two are supposed to be experts in medical evidence. And here they are pushing an unhinged single anecdote and jumping straight to advising people to follow this advice. It takes the whole system to have broken down to get to that point. How can anyone trust anything coming out of medicine given this? The whole point of giving medicine so much power is that it is not supposed to engage in this kind of magical thinking and BS salesmanship.

If those are the experts in medical evidence, what does it say about the rest who work in medicine? That they are so gullible they'll accept literally any morsel of evidence in favor of magical psychology.

18. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, she's now disqualified herself from writing, or having any involvement with developing, the new/updated training module on ME/CFS for GPs....

This statement also clearly shows how inappropriate the (only recently removed) RCGP one was.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I don't think it does discredit athe entire system of medicine. It points to the importance of following the evidence and that the experts will often crowd around the things they want not where the evidence takes them. Hence really stresses the importance of critical evaluation.

Of course those experts pushing their views here won't see it that way. They will do their best to discredit those calling for a critical evaluation as trolls (suggesting all sorts like severe abuse, death threats amd accusations of 'hit lists').

20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel as if Garner's blogs had been pretty consistently personal, emotional and with information that seemed pretty questionable. There were things about this that seemed odd and a bit worrying to me, but I hadn't been arguing that the BMJ should retract them, and my concern was limited because I thought it was pretty clear what they were. They were more like a diary than anything else.

eg there was this in the first blog in this thread:

There are things about his most recent blog that are more of a problem than others, and they will particularly stand out to those whose lives have been made worse by the problems around PACE/FINE/etc, but I want to keep my response to this in proportion to my response to his other blogs, some of which were praised by a lot of other patients. I know that a lot of people here have been consistently critical of the way anecdotes are often over-promoted, but would people be equally condemning of the BMJ for publishing Garner if his new anecdote driven blog was about how he'd been harmed by doctors putting a positive spin on GET and now (for some reason) thinks he will never recover? I think that we'd be raising concern that he really should not assume that he won't recover, but I doubt there'd be much outrage.

We're in a difficult situation as personal stories seem to influence people more than, for example, explaining problems with the way academic papers have presented their data. Personal stories are so often shaped by the individual's hunches and post-hoc rationalisations, and those that are promoted will tend to be those coming from the dominant culture. I just think that we need to encourage consistent caution with all personal stories, including our own.

sebaaa, Joan Crawford, Oni and 14 others like this.