1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open letter to the Trustees and Staff of Action for ME about the 'Toolkit for professionals'

Discussion in 'Open Letters and Replies' started by Trish, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@Action for M.E. I have some more questions and requests:

@Action for M.E. do you have an idea how insulting I find this decision by your organisation?

AfME is a charity whose whole reason for existence is the fact that hundreds of thousands of people in the UK have this horrible illness and your entire focus is, I would assume, finding ways to make our lives more bearable. That must surely include opening up all aspects of your work to the scrutiny of the people you were set up to serve.

Otherwise we must assume you are serving some other master.

I ask you now formally to take this decision back to whichever part of your organisation made it and ask again. Please can we see the SEE ME documents?

If not, please could you tell us at what level this decision was made, and for what reasons it cannot be overturned. If it is on the basis of individual client confidentiality, please could it be made available with individual client identifying details redacted?

On a not unrelated question, can we have a response to this?

Again, the question is, if not, why not? What masters are you serving in keeping secret from pwME material that advises about our treatment? What do you have to hide?

3. I asked you by e-mail whether it would be possible for some of us to read and comment on the draft of the replacement/updated Toolkit document before you publish it. Has there been a decision on this?

4. I have started a new thread here to discuss the other AfME work related documents. I have included there a request to you for links to the most up to date versions of these documents.

I find the AfME website almost impossible to navigate. I was unable to find links to either on your website and don't know whether the links I have are up to date.

Thank you.

2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And, for the fourth time of asking, 'liked' by 29 people now, can I please have a response to this:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/open-...kit-for-professionals.7629/page-8#post-143863

You posted this:
    And I replied this:
    So this time, I'd like a response that actually answers my questions.

Seriously, what is the point of an ME charity that damages the lives of ME patients? If AfME's governance is so poor that it's churning out patient-harming advice even now, even after everything we've been through with PACE, then AfME should shut itself down.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Skycloud and 24 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I wonder if, given the right support and encouragement, AfME might be able to increase their engagement here beyond their current baseline of an occasional hour per week? Nothing too dramatic of course, perhaps a gradual increase of 10% per week until they are back to work?

Joh, Anna H, MEMarge and 22 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Graded Engagement Therapy

Anna H, MEMarge, Barry and 6 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Quality sarcasm :thumbup::D

Anna H, MEMarge, Barry and 5 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. But nonetheless more engagement would be very good, and would not want to deter it ...

NelliePledge and brf like this.
  7. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Action for M.E. Well?

rvallee likes this.
  8. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish, may I ask did Action for ME ever revise their toolkit as they said they would last January after temporarily taking it down? When I went on their website today, there is no further information after their update last January saying they would take it down temporarily. It still seems not available with no revisions. Many thanks.

Barry, ladycatlover, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  9. Trish

Thanks for the reminder. I'll write to them when I can find some energy!

Barry, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  10. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Trish, health first!

11. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonder if their "Big Survey" results to be released at their AGM, next Tues, 15 Oct, will include any info on how many people with ME can work/study...

JaneL, Annamaria, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. MEMarge

From their website it looks as though a couple of the toolkits, not the one for professionals, have been updated.

Does anyone know how different they are/any better?

Just getting background for Tues, but I suspect that a general Q re employment/studying rates will be more appropriate for Q and A, and that specific queries can be asked of individuals/followed up by email.

Website seems to be down currently...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Annamaria, JaneL, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Trish

I did have a quick glance at the one for patients and the one for employers a week or so ago. To be honest I can't remember what was in the originals.

One thing I spotted was that they still describe pacing as finding a baseline and then adding 10% at a time, which is not pacing. I should have kept copies of the originals for comparison.

If you want a specific question to ask, you could ask why they describe pacing in all their materials in this way.

Chezboo, ukxmrv, Annamaria and 6 others like this.
  14. MEMarge

Thanks Trish.
    I can now access them online again.

Annamaria likes this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    ukxmrv, Anna H, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  16. MEMarge

The two booklets ie Employer and Employee are very similar initially.

P4, "What is ME?" incudes the following statements:

"Around a quarter of people with M.E. are severely affected, leaving them house- and/or bed-bound for long periods. Those experiencing this level of symptom severity are unable to work."

"This booklet is for anyone employing or managing someone with mild to moderate M.E. and outlines the employment rights and support available for people with M.E..."

So I guess I will be asking whether they think that the majority of people who consider themselves "moderate" will be able to be in some paid employment?

Both these leaflets have "Copyright 2016" at the end, so may not have been substantially altered

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

ukxmrv, Anna H, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  18. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I support your letter too, @Trish - well done.

JaneL, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  19. Trish

Thanks, @Forestvon. I really should have followed it up by now to try to find out what they are doing about it, if anything. If anyone else wants to, do go ahead!

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(BTW just tried to search on Action for ME under member and they don't come up ? ditto trying to tag them @Adrian )
    But what this post is about:

In this thread from August 2018
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/actio...l-treatments-for-m-e-position-statement.5532/

AfME, following their 'statement about PACE', said they would be updating their information leaflets.
    they also said they would be deleting the original 'me and work' one, superceded by the 2016 version which is still bad..........and the old one is still available online https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/me-and-work.pdf

what, if anything, have AfME changed to reflect this supposed change of stance re the PACE trial and all it stands for?

@phil_in_bristol

MSEsperanza, Annamaria, JaneL and 5 others like this.