1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open letter to the Trustees and Staff of Action for ME about the 'Toolkit for professionals'

Discussion in 'Open Letters and Replies' started by Trish, Jan 12, 2019.

1. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly.

There will not be a single NICE guideline, for example, for any illness of any kind that says 'do this to the patient, even if they give no consent'. It's always consent based. But not giving consent can be viewed almost as if you are irresponsible and not accepting care, whether for a heart attack, ME or cancer. Then the insurer or DWP comes to get you, because they read A4ME stuff and then damage you by telling you what you refused

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Very true, written in a rush and "one" crept in unnoticed for some reason.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

BACME (https://www.bacme.info/) and the Sussex ME Society (https://measussex.org.uk/) perhaps are more dubious but don't approach the size of AfME.

No.

AfME and the ME Association are the two largest charities, particular in income, latest figures put AfME's income, £681k, at double that of the ME Associations, £326k. As to where they both get their funds from, I'd need to look further.

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also think the toolkit indicates that AfME believe the DWP are working with people from a place of honest intent to help (in good faith). They aren't.

Edit for clarity.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

InfiniteRubix, andypants and Andy like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. Yes.

Maggie, Simone, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is from Twitter this morning. It is related to the roll out of universal credit and appears to be related to a meeting/ seminar with stakeholders and/ or interest groups and DWP. The tweeter' s interest is mental health, but i' m pretty sure the attitude would traverse a range of conditions given the info known from appeals.

It is shocking. If @Action for M.E. do not understand the significance of interpretation and interactions they should read this.

If following this, the toolbox is not retracted and steps taken to address damage, then serious questions need to be raised with executive and funders

Check out @KateFlood’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/user/status/1088518332737875968

The webpages continue to be a cause for significant concern. Particularly page re children - you would never consider it to be a condition with such potentially devastating impact from the picture painted by words and stock images.

I would not be able to direct anyone there - as a resource they are largely a waste of energy.

At the very least there should be a notice advising content is out of date and should not be used .

The relevent information is not " new" and has been in the public arena for months / years.

The lack of input to this is both underwheming and disappointing and capable of iatrogenic harm

Actions speak louder than words, and sadly the people who can least afford to be, are being let down by an organisation whose whole raison d' etre is to help them .

I find it very, very sad ( amongst other things)

alktipping, Simone, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm not able to see the tweet? @Amw66

alktipping likes this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I can, must be at your end?

alktipping and Andy like this.
  10. TiredSam

11. TiredSam

12. TiredSam

13. TiredSam

14. TiredSam

15. TiredSam

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Weird, works now, perhaps it need the TiredSam magic touch.. :)

MEMarge, alktipping, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  17. TiredSam

I stood in a circle and sent some energy ;)

alktipping, Lisa108, Maggie and 10 others like this.
  18. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is what most of us here have discovered but do we have the evidence to extrapolate that to being a the case for anyone with an ME/CFS diagnosis ? I often wonder to what extent the population of people we mean when we talk about ME/CFS is the the same population that other people or organisations mean when they use the same labels, and then with all the unknowns and variations in severity, symptom profile, age, years ill, etc I'm not really confident to say that anything I know about ME/CFS is a hard fact.

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is a lobby group. Technically a charity but also technically an astroturf (i.e. fake grassroots) organisation.

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

not quite:
    "
    Who are we?
    The British Association for CFS/ME (BACME) is a multidisciplinary organisation for UK professionals who are involved in the evidence-based management of patients with CFS/ME.
    Our purpose
    BACME exists to promote and support the delivery of evidence-based treatment for children, young people, and adults with CFS/ME in the UK. "

in otherwords PACE trial supporting BPS medical professionals.

alktipping, Maggie, Simone and 7 others like this.