1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(not a recommendation) What it’s like to live with chronic fatigue and depression

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As retweeted by AfME
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1083669893520740352

some bits are good, but
    "
    Action for ME continue to say that having a well informed GP to assist with both depression and ME is important. Having appropriate and different treatments are vital, so that the mental health treatments don’t make the neurological side of ME worse.

Dr Natasha Bijlani, Consultant Psychiatrist at the Priory Hospital Roehampton agrees. She tells Metro.co.uk: ‘Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) is a very debilitating, long term condition with a fluctuating course that results in extreme physical fatigue to the extent that sufferers struggle to even get out of bed, let alone cope with the most basic every day tasks.

‘Not surprisingly then, this can tremendously impact on mental health, with people becoming depressed and developing low self esteem and confidence.

‘The first step in coping with any condition like CFS (ME) that is unlikely to resolve quickly is to accept the diagnosis and then to try to manage fluctuating symptoms, following medical advice. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has a very good evidence base for managing the negative psychological aspects of any condition, and especially ME.’"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/10/what-its-like-to-live-with-chronic-fatigue-and-depression-8269651/

Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know. In isolation I think that's okay.

There are so many good reasons to be annoyed with Action for ME, but it's worth avoiding being too critical when their tweets seem okay to me.

JaimeS, Liessa, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Some of the article is OK, but I'm concerned when they include people who say they are tired all the time, or running helps their depression or they have set themselves up as a wellness guru. I wish people who write articles like this would make sure the diagnoses are accurate before they include them as examples.

JaimeS, Sly Saint, Cheshire and 7 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This confuses low self-esteem with grief. Medical professionals cannot tell the difference between illness and emotions because they are not magical fairy beings who can read minds. This needs to stop, they are not acknowledging the limits of their abilities, in fact seem to have great confidence in something that is impossible to do with current technology.

alktipping, JaimeS, Liessa and 7 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reframing horrendous life situations does not help. I am doubtful CBT acutally helps. What about long term results?

Not sure if this is an urban myth; was told this in college yonks ago. An elderly lady told her doctor there were thousands of spiders in her house. She was "obviously crazy", and was put in a psych ward. Someone went to her house to get something for her, and found.....thousands of spiders in her house!

alktipping, JaimeS, Cheshire and 7 others like this.
  7. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that anecdote but I do know that kind of stuff happens enough to have a name; When a patient's account of true but odd/implausible events are dismissed as a sign of mental illness it's known as 'The Martha Mitchell Effect'. It's named after the wife of a Republican senator who found out the truth about the Watergate scandal early on but was labelled as mentally ill when she spoke out about it. This Wikipedia article explains it better than me though.

8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very frequent, this Martha Mithcell Effect. Thank you @fivetowns.

alktipping, JaimeS, rvallee and 4 others like this.