1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NIH: Accelerating Research on ME/CFS meeting, 4th and 5th April 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Certainly not the entire forum
    So which threads was she referred to?
    I'd submit my chicken/egg NIH thread for review if possible.

2. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven’t managed to listen to any of the presentations yet but I saw this quote on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1114281707379875840

I have great respect for Maureen Hanson but I’m not sure I agree with her that we know enough about ME to call it “a disease”. Although I despise the term “chronic fatigue syndrome” I’m not convinced that syndrome isn’t a more useful and accurate term than disease at this stage (depending on how it is interpreted). I’m also not aware of any evidence which suggests that ME does not encompass more than one disease or other causes of the symptoms. I’m sure there are sub-sets and it may well be that those subsets have different pathologies.

For interest, this is how Wikipedia defines syndrome:
    ——-

I’m also very interested in the Ron Davis’s nanoneedle paper. P=1x10^-9 seems very impressive. I just hope it’s not too good to be true. Again I’ve not listened to the presentation. Did the study included unhealthy controls – ie controls who are similarly incapacitated but do not have ME?

——-

Good video for non-scientists like me – although I see it was posted in 2013. I wonder if exosomology will become a medical specialty.

Rick Sanchez and Hutan like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So many questions about exosomes.

If exosomes are transmitting the disease state to other cells, which cells are producing these exosomes?

Why would exosomes carry a signal that impairs energy metabolism? Has anything like this been seen in other illnesses?

Peripheral exosomes are capable of passing the blood brain barrier and activating gial cells. Is it possible that the brain problems are secondary to some peripheral problem?

How difficult is it to make a blood test to detect these particular exosomes?

4. Hoopoe

To make a blood test, it seems one would only need some healthy cells, a method to extract exosomes from the blood of patients, and a method to detect whether the healthy cells have their metabolism disrupted when exposed to these exosomes.

We might see a race to develop the first blood test after Ron Davis publishes his exosomes paper.

5. Ron

Ron Established Member (Voting Rights)

@wigglethemouse
    Wiggle, posted an awesome post on the old mother ship. I'm not sure what is allowed here so I will post a link and part of the post and see what fur flies.

Link: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...nce-april-4-5-2019-livestreaming.62919/page-5

Part of post:
    Exosome-Total-Isolation-Chip (ExoTIC) Device for Identification of Exosome-based Biomarkers
    Researchers at Stanford have developed an inexpensive, rapid and efficient method to isolate a high yield of pure exosomes from a wide range of clinical biofluids. Exosomes are small (30-180nm) cell-derived vesicles that are shed into bodily fluids such as blood, urine and saliva.
    http://techfinder.stanford.edu/technologies/S16-048_exosome-total-isolation-chip-exotic

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

To my knowledge, we don't have the forum tools to establish which might be the top 10 threads (@Adrian ?). Also, what criteria would we use? Most posts? Most likes?

Really? You don't think she'll read every single thread?

None, I merely suggested that the forum could be used as a way for researchers and patients to communicate, she said that she would have a look.

I have no idea what thread that is.

7. tuha

tuha Established Member (Voting Rights)

I didnt follow the conference. Were there any interesting findings from research groups which woul bring us further to understand ME. Is it already sure that mitocondrias are altered by something in the serum?

8. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1) an exosome has some content (transporter, does contain RNA?). what was found ?

2) is it possible to see who the mother ship was ?
    perhaps like: exosome identified from liver cells, from the heart, from lymph neck, from parasiteXY ... it should have mother RNA or something like that ?

where did this thing originate ?

bottom line was: "the thing" (assumed exosome) found in mecfs blood only, is disrupting the mitochondria, even healthy ones (???)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Rick Sanchez likes this.
  9. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

would be cool to have fact sheets or something like that.

for each conference, with text highlights and vid/research links.
    and
    for each finding (e.g. nano needle)

i forget things after 5 seconds.., may be not alone

ukxmrv, shak8, rvallee and 1 other person like this.
  10. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is.

MEMarge and obeat like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Posts on orthostatic intolerance have been split off into a separate thread: Orthostatic intolerance

Please continue the discussion on orthostatic intolerance there.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Simon M, Roy S, NelliePledge and 8 others like this.
  12. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will start by saying that we need technologies to help put the pieces of the puzzle together. ME/CFS shows us its several faces and we need urgently to see where all of this is coming from.

Based on my current understanding, exosomes are a category of extracellular vesicles (EVs). The following figure shows three categories of EVs :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4783904/figure/ijms-17-00170-f001/

So we have ectosomes, exosomes and apoptotic bodies. I ran a text analysis on publications about exosomes :

exosomes.png

Many of you know by now that i am very fond of anything related to liver hence the identification of "hepatocytes" among the results. What was also of interest however was autophagy -identified also by machine learning as important research topic- within these results. I find it quite interesting that on the following paper we have mentions of apoptotic bodies as part of the extracellular vesicles (a research topic that is being investigated by Maureen Hanson). I wonder if -apart from the exosomes- mentioned by Ron Davis, apoptotic bodies and/or ectosomes would fit his hypothesis about what is being generated.

Finally, there is a very interesting connection between exosomes and viral replication : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5957004/

As discussed in the beginning of my post, we need to use technology that will help us put these pieces together and this technology is already available for quite some time.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    rvallee, Perrier, ScottTriGuy and 3 others like this.
  14. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed she should, there are only 154,995 posts at the moment, won't take long :)

Cool

This thread. They won't like my posts but i explain how to get past the problems if they want to know
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/plunging-grant-application-rates-test-nih’s-commitment-to-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs.8696/
    We could also make a list of recommended threads tailored to what they need to know and convincing arguments and ideas.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

adambeyoncelowe, Aroa, Comet and 14 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

19. Hoopoe

Hutan, Aroa, Sean and 7 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, that doesn't load for me - something about the flash plug in. I may need to use another machine.

Maybe if Keller is working with accelerometers she will look at the longer term pattern issue.

adambeyoncelowe, MEMarge and Trish like this.