1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - Stakeholder submissions to the draft and NICE responses - published 29th October 2021 - discussion thread

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think those involved in "established rehabilitation practice" are afraid that outside experts like Edwards will look at the evidence in their field critically.

They seem to demand that trials of "complex interventions" are evaluated differently and this exceptionalism seems hard to justify.

Chezboo, geminiqry, tmrw and 31 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They make it sound as if someone's actually made some progress in 'managing' fatigue in other conditions, instead of it being one of the most intractable symptoms faced by patients with a whole list of illnesses. None of them are going to be happy if said 'management' consists mainly of attempts to manipulate them into thinking they don't really have fatigue.

Chezboo, ola_cohn, Tobedyl and 23 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the things that strikes me about the diatribes against @Jonathan Edwards is that they seem to forget that JE has much experience as a clinician & not just as a researcher & so has just as much of an understanding about a therapeutic relationship with patients as they do.

Another thing that strikes me about all the whinging about not holding all research to the same standards and the issues of a combination of lack of blinding with subjective outcomes- even if it weren't possible to avoid this then simply by following up with clinic patients in the long term you could have gathered evidence that supports the research.

We know BPS folk read the forum and have done for years, we know they see our critiques and would have seen that the lack of evidence would be an issue. They have had years to go gather the data and prove their treatments work. The only reason I can see they didn't do this is because the data they might gather would prove them wrong.

Arvo, Chezboo, geminiqry and 28 others like this.
  4. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think as much as they are afraid they are also furious and incredulous that someone would have the temerity to question their empire. I honestly think a lot of them cannot conceive of any valid criticisms because they are so far gone on their own theories.

tmrw, TiredSam, Tobedyl and 23 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite simply, they have no scientific foundation to their claims, and instead strive to dress up their misplaced beliefs as 'evidence'. They really cannot cope now their ivory tower is crumbling about them.

tmrw, adambeyoncelowe, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blinkered, undiluted arrogance is what it stems from I think. "Why am I right? ... Because I am right of course!"

Mithriel, SallyC, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They want parity of esteem without having to meet the same quality standards.

8. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't have particularly high expectations, but the comments from the Royal Colleges are worse than I expected. So many errors, so much misrepresentation, failure to understand basic concepts, baseless assertions. I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that some of these people actually seem to be a little bit dumb

Wits_End, Tobedyl, ukxmrv and 21 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to remind ourselves how dumb some seem to be:

So, children, why do we blind trials?
    Because the outcomes might be biased by subjectivity, Sir.
    Well done children. So which trials specifically need blinding.
    Trials with subjective outcomes, Sir.
    Very good!

Shall we just go over that again, for Josh and Mary?
    Yes, Sir, please Sir

So, children...

Arvo, Chezboo, tmrw and 24 others like this.
  10. Kitty

I wasn't expecting much either, but it was their sheer lack of knowledge or insight about ME, despite years of experience of treating patients, that surprised me.

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Translation: Oh no, they are on to us. :nailbiting:
    Exactly.

They are being asked only to meet the same minimum technical and ethical standards as the rest of medicine and science are required to do.

They are being singled out for hard technical and ethical criticism only because they persistently refuse to do so.

They have only two options: Lift their standards, or resign.

Tobedyl, ukxmrv, Ariel and 11 others like this.
  12. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arvo, geminiqry, StefanE and 54 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you @Brian Hughes. It has been great to have you so involved in observing and commenting on these events here, on Twitter and on your blog. I felt very supported having you and @Jonathan Edwards and @dave30th joining us as we waited for the guideline to be published and in our discussions afterwards.

Arvo, geminiqry, Wits_End and 41 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barry, ukxmrv, Joan Crawford and 14 others like this.
  15. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess having learned how to exploit patients to the detriment of a patients health and advantage of their own careers based largely on a strategy of leveraging collective societal and medical ignorance of such patients biological and political status, they all just felt it was safest not to afford anyone too much access to factual information. Least of all themselves.

Edit:mashed up 1st quote.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Arvo, adambeyoncelowe, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  16. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks for that @Trish

17. Kitty

Quite possibly my favourite piece yet. Though they're all so good it's difficult to choose!

Thank you.

18. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When Prof Crawley published her Lightening Process study, I genuinely believed that this would be a major step forward in getting people to recognise the failings of the widespread use of subjective outcomes in unblinded trials, that such an obviously flawed study would be the reductio ad absurdum of PACE and associated studies.

At that point it never occurred to me that we would see the reverse and that the medical Royal Colleges would collectively seek to defend the indefensible, not because they believed in the Lightening Process but because they can not admit the principle that the purpose of medical research is to achieve objective answers rather than support their own biases.

Chezboo, Tobedyl, Barry and 27 others like this.
  19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly I think there's a good case to make that neurology is far deeper into woo than psychiatry. Which is saying a lot since most psychiatric concepts are very vague and filled with woo.

Freud was a neurologist. 150+ years later and he has completely fried the brains of the entire specialty. Impressive, just not in a good way.

alktipping, rainy, Solstice and 11 others like this.