1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS Guideline stakeholder scoping workshop, Fri 25th May 2018

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think if anyone has paid they should ask for a refund because the CFQ (not scale) is not fit for purpose in measuring fatigue and it certainly isn't a scale.

2. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sue's absolutely right, it's critical patients are protected now, and scandalous that having admitted the present guidelines aren't fit for purpose that they are still left in place. Can they not see the absurdity, insanity of that?

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think you should name them so that parents are warned.

Last time QMUL or Barts (basically White) wrote a submission to NICE saying aids and adaptations should not be given to patients.

4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see that would work, the harm would then already be done, it needs to be a blanket ban on GET and CBT.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know of someone who had aids and grab bars etc. around her home. Suddenly, the advice was that ME patients shouldn't have those, despite her being assessed as needing them in the first place.

So, instead of just leaving them, they showed up in a van and removed all the aids from her house, including her wheelchair. I believe she was told this was going to happen, but not given much notice.

The last I heard her husband was going to have to give up work, as without all the aids she couldn't cope on her own and they couldn't afford the equipment themselves.

These people have a lot to answer for.

alktipping, Anna, Joel and 15 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Facebook post

Inara, ladycatlover, Daisymay and 4 others like this.
  7. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow..talk about shooting ourselves in the foot :banghead:

Is this proposed along with crystal healing aura cleansing and magic beans? I think I would prefer pottery in a MUS clinic and faking another GET session..isn’t this the thing where they aid “lymphatic draining” with massage ?

Art Vandelay, Inara, Cheshire and 6 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had to reread the thread to jog my memory ...luckily on this occasion my memory about this is correct ...similar as my feelings about the credibility if the lightning process ...pure quackery and I can’t believe anybody would take this seriously as a diagnostic tool. Hopefully those on Facebook can counter this with something logical and rational.

10. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went to a Perrin sales pitch with Perrin himself when I'd been ill for about a year.
    He thinks severe patients who 'lie on the floor in front of you' are attention seeking or hamming it up and if you don't take 8 Veg Epa pills a day then you 'don't want to get better'.

I have fairly strong opinions of my own about him too.

Oh, the 'Perrin points' he prods to diagnose ME patients are just pressure points, everybody hurts when they're prodded in those points.
    He developed his technique by treating a long distance cyclist who was having back problems which 'cured his chronic fatigue' as a happy accident.
    He genuinely seems to believe his own hype, but comes across as a snake oil salesman.

There should be no problem with NICE considering this 'treatment' there's no evidence base behind it and it can hardly be considered cost effective when patients have to go for weekly treatment for months on end. But I could be wrong, they might decide crystal healing and toad licking are cost effective treatments for ME, stranger things have happened.

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Maybe some magic beans?? ;)

12. Invisible Woman

Well, i tried the Perrin technique with an osteopath, so, if I had a choice between the two, I'll take the toad licking!

....or perhaps the beans (but only the special gold ones).

13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too had some Perrin massages. They were very nice , and relaxing, and the girl was lovely. She seemed as disappointed as I was that it didn’t make one jot of difference.

14. Invisible Woman

That sounds nice. That's not the effect it had on me though. Serious muscle weakness problems afterwards.

You were also supposed to apply alternating hot and cold ice packs to the spine. I ended lying on the kitchen floor unable to get up. I decided enough was enough.

15. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ice packs were never mentioned to me. Phew. Not hot packs either, but those might have been okay.

16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do know 2 pwme whom.this helps.it is a cost benefit sum.as it is fatiguing afterwards . Both suffer from swollen lymph glands and it seems to help Not a cure more symptom relief.

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

i think there may be symptom relief for some people I was having some sessions a year or so ago but they used to knock me out a lot and I was trying to keep working.

but the paper they are talking about only tested his diagnosis approach not the lymphatic drainage massage so the treatment offered isnt backed by evidence and shouldn't be up for consideration for the guidance until they obtain some

18. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's only being considered for the diagnostic part of the guideline. However, I suspect NICE will go with something easy and accessible like the IoM criteria. CCC would be nice, but I'm not sure how easy it is for GPs.

19. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see they are recruiting for a double blind trial of Q10 + NADH in Barcelona: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03186027

Inara, Indigophoton, Skycloud and 3 others like this.