1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE guidelines: Final scope and equality impact assessment published

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NICE have refused to include DWP under "Who the guideline is for". This was asked for by quite a few orgs.
    Here's their reasoning:
    Edit: Even the RCGP & Royal College of OTs asked for DWP to be included.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

andypants, Hutan, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Gecko

The Royal College of Pediatrics & Child Health have written:

I really hope the non-BPSers can steer the committee away from this want to dilute the guideline to include all sorts of other conditions.

6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

inox, andypants, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  7. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tony Crouch is a really good egg who knows personally at the coalface......

Barry, Indigophoton, Esther12 and 4 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Same here. Although a lot of it is standard bureaucratic responses, it largely falls on the right side, IMHO.

However, the proof will be in the final document. A lot of water to flow under the bridge until then, and the make up of the panel is not ideal.

We shall see.

Yes, but we already knew that. ;)

--------------------------

From the Royal College of Psychiatrists:

Gee, I can't imagine why ME/CFS patients would have higher suicide rates, and why that would be.

(Interesting to note that they use ME/CFS, instead of their usual CFS/ME.)

So, no change in your position then? Continue rolling out your lucrative woo-woo across the land.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Barry, rvallee, Joel and 10 others like this.
  10. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But "they" see that as a symptom of a primary depressive or anxiety disorder, not as a sign of despair due to a disabling, life altering, financial existence endangering disease.

rvallee, EzzieD, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  11. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nor is suicide ever seen as the pragmatic and considered decision, of an individual abandoned into an unbearable & physically horrendous situation, with no way out, nor hope for one in the future!

12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. Its not suicide its self administered euthanasia. TBH the only thing that is keeping me around is the fact that i know several people would be badly traumatised if i went, & 2 of them are children, which is unacceptable to me. I live on, endure on because of my love for, & desire to protect, them. And I'm not even at the very severe end.
    The PCP, NICE, & the entire medical & political establishment, could do masses to reduce the self administered euthanasia rate among PwME.... by simply giving us the compassionate care & support that people with comparable, recognised as organic diseases receive, and removing the continuous spectre of being kidnapped & tortured & made even sicker in a mental institution like Karina, Sophia, Bob, and so many others, when they section people for deteriorating after the bogus treatments they are being repeatedly informed will make people deteriorate.

Their hubris & obtuseness are major parts of the problem.

Indigophoton, Barry, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly that is correct. A phrase worth remembering. Xx

Indigophoton, Barry, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Comment from Action for ME
    https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/​nice-guideline-scope-and-committeeupdate-and-comment/

Barry and Inara like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"What kind of emotional despair lead an otherwise happy person to jump out of a burning building? Surely smoke and intense heat are secondary to such a horrific act which must be interpreted from a psychosocial lens and unreasonable expectations of ambient heat and air particulates."

Mithriel, EzzieD, Sean and 8 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

17. Gecko

Analysis from #MEAction (of the documents released, not committee appointments)

https://www.meaction.net/2018/10/25/nice-final-scope-read-our-analysis/

Inara, andypants, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This bothers me. They picked a paper that is quite contrary to the point I have been and keep trying to make -- that there are some MS clinicians and researchers emphasizing the importance of differentiating between different types of fatigue and fatigability and developing objective measures (see below* and here ).

Instead the Pöttgen et al paper didn't specify which kind of fatigue they are refering to. Plus: "The primary outcome was the Chalder Fatigue Scale."

It would be interesting to know whether there are some more reasonable neuologists having some influence within the Association of British Neurologist who could point their colleagues to this contradiction.

However, when I searched Cochrane's and the NICE guidelines's sources on fatigue in MS, I got the impression that in this field the reasonable researchers are a tiny minority, too...

* From S4ME's comment on the NICE guidline's draft scope document:
    A quick search for "measure" and "measuring" in the current scope document showed no mentions.

I understand your irony and I'm aware that fatigue related to other illnesses might have nothing or few in common with ME related impairments. My point in referring to MS research was that there seem to be at least some reasonable researchers regarding the need of differentiating fatigue and applying objective measurements.
    (Sorry, I am repeating myself -- will have a break now.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  19. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bump

JemPD likes this.
  20. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10091/documents/consultation-comments-and-responses-2

It's a good read if you're well enough (I've only read bits of it). I noticed that Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust on page 95 said:

The study seems to be this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22385683 - Effectiveness of internet-based cognitive behavioural treatment for adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome (FITNET): a randomised controlled trial.

A long time? Try decades or even a life time. I think this needs to be clarified. Does anyone have data on recovery rates including how they defined recovery?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
    MeSci, rvallee, Rick Sanchez and 10 others like this.