1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE guideline review: A list of appointees to the ME/CFS Guideline Committee has now been published

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Andy, Oct 16, 2018.

1. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just caught up with this thread. It’s good to know that we’ve got at least two level headed members of S4ME to fight the good fight.

Thank you @adambeyoncelowe and @Keela Too in advance for this commitment. Look after yourselves ....this is going to be draining, not least of it trying to keep everyone happy. I’ve made a note to myself to be extra considerate of this.

As far as the rest of it, I’m waiting and seeing. At work you often invite the pigheaded difficult one to a group so that they can’t say they weren’t there and even if they are difficult, they end up having to endorse what’s been decided by the fact that majority rules and they were there. Hopefully this is why we have the BPS contingent? (He says very optimistically for a change).

I just hope for a few more objective people. I think I would like a few more people who are just good at looking at scientific evidence from another discipline, to hopefully cut through the politics.

2. Colleen Steckel

Colleen Steckel Established Member (Voting Rights)

I hope you are right. I am in the US and the distinct definition for ME has been excluded repeatedly by our CDC, the rumblings sound like NICE is following suit.

Maggie and ladycatlover like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evidently not endorsing medical torture was a disqualifier.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Summed up my current thinking thanks @arewenearlythereyet. We had the same at my work we used to call them the dinosaurs.
    People working in the status quo of NHS CFS clinics will be on a spectrum of BPSness. Not all will be hardline dogmatically committed BPS dinosaurs. Some only adhering because it is the status quo and they are influenced by groupthink. If the NICE process is sufficiently rigorous the flaws in BPS research will make it difficult to argue that the status quo can continue.

Barry, Binkie4, Indigophoton and 13 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Except we don't know it's THE distinct definition, all we have are people expressing an opinion that it is without it being scientifically proven. And the only rumblings that I've heard is that NICE will look at all the available evidence in order to determine an appropriate clinical diagnosis.

Sarah94, TiredSam, Dr Carrot and 10 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is important. Just because the BPS cult is being imposed on the NHS from above, doesn't mean everybody in the NHS agrees with it. Almost certainly a lot who don't, but who are not in a position to say anything much, at this point.

My bet is that when it is safer to speak out we will see a lot more people in the health & welfare services coming out of the woodwork and be broadly supportive of our complaints.

And that day is a lot closer now than it was even just a year or so back.

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they've been working in CFS centres but have failed to speak out about the problems with things like PACE, the way patients were being smeared, then they shouldn't be given positions of authority like this.

I think that we deserve better than people who will quietly make their money from a system that mistreats patients and spins evidence. As it is, it seems like people included on this committee have been actively making things worse.

8. Alena Lerari

Alena Lerari Established Member

I was asked about my personal experience. I said that GET doesn’t work and backed it up with the survey that we had already submitted to Peter Barry (I am also a stakeholder representative of a national group of parents of children with ME/CFS). I said that I came to the conclusion that the PACE trial was flawed and I could explain why. That the experience of our children and young people with CBT was that they were being told that this was all psychological and I disagree with it.
    I was then told that
    I asked this question during the interview (not PACE specifically but about evidence). Every NICE committee has a Technical Team that looks at evidence and only the evidence that makes it through the Technical Team is then considered by the committee.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know who is on this team?

Barry, MEMarge, andypants and 10 others like this.
  10. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this would imply that the fact that you understood how to interpret science in a technically correct way was seen as enough of a 'conflict of interest' to not allow you to take part here? Did I miss something?
    This is literally not what the term 'CoI' means.

Sarah94, Cinders66, Maggie and 15 others like this.
  11. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't forget that the interviews are organised by the National Guideline Development Centre RCP........ not NICE,... so do they have some of their own rules...?
    so who did the interviewing (those that were interviewed should know?).

Hutan, andypants, Inara and 2 others like this.
  12. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps they were thinking more "Prejudicial Interest" rather than COI,

i.e. come to meeting with an open mind not a preconceived view?

This is required of elected members of a committee in local government and planning in my experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudicial_interest
    In UK local authority politics, the term prejudicial interest is used to describe a particular type of conflict of interest involving councillors. When a councillor has an interest in a topic under debate that may affect their ability to fairly and objectively consider the subject, he or she is said to have a prejudicial interest. An example would be a councillor discussing a planning application for a company in which he or she has an interest. The councillor has an interest in the plans being approved and is therefore considered to have a "prejudicial interest".

The Standards Board for England is the body responsible for investigating allegations of undeclared prejudicial interests. It is the responsibility of the councillor to declare their interest prior to discussions or votes and, once declared, they must leave the room for the duration of the discussion or vote.

Anyone can make an allegation of an undeclared prejudicial interest although the Standards Board for England can only investigate reactively rather than proactively - i.e. they cannot intervene to stop an offence from taking place, only investigate the offence once it has taken place.

Barry, andypants, Stewart and 5 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This seems possible @Suffolkres but i wonder if the people from within the NHS have been considered as equally at risk of having a fixed position as the candidates for the lay roles.

14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems to me that this might be even more important than who is on the committee?

15. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Norma O'Flynn certainly gave the impression at the Stakeholder meeting that the lay members would be selected by "them" (the RCP National guideline centre NGC) . They wanted people, she said, who would be able to examine the evidence with a fresh eye and who had not already made up their mind.

They were also there, not to represent any group as a rep but to bring their own experience to the table.

16. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that the same Norma O'Flynn who works at the same GP Surgery as Mrs Wessely?

Maggie, Joel, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like it, yeah:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/norma-o-flynn-72b2932b

I wonder what opinions on CBT/GET she thinks should be viewed as COIs.

18. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know as yet the NICE guideline committee have of course not chosen a clinical criteria/definition (an existing one or perhaps develop their own version?) that they will include in the updated guidelines. However, I will say if they choose to follow the CDC and also choose the IOM SEID definition as the current diagnostic criteria (CDC as we know have listed all other criteria as historical) as the CDC have done, then I will be bitterly disappponted.

I know there have been threads on here discussing the SEID diagnostic criteria, now being referred to as ME/CFS by the CDC, but my view remains the IOM core symptom complex (fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, post-exertional malaise, with either vague cognitive symptoms or OI) can be found in other chronic illnesses and again will not give the medical establishment a sufficient description of how the illness presents.

I know our experience of the illness contributes to our thoughts on the core features of the illness. I am always surprised though by any clinical criteria, SEID being one, that does not include as a core feature the need for people with this illness to limit sensory input just as much as exertion to avoid worsening of all symptoms.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

How many other chronic illnesses, in your view, have this as a symptom?

Joel, adambeyoncelowe and mango like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not sure it has been posted on this thread already, I spotted in the MEA's members magazine that Dr Shepherd applied to join the committee.

Inara, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 6 others like this.