1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE guideline review: A list of appointees to the ME/CFS Guideline Committee has now been published

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Andy, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The "over 60% of the panel" part of that claim is also problematic (ie not true). It would more accurate to say "Two-thirds of the NHS professionals appointed to the Guideline Development Group..."

NelliePledge, JaimeS and Esther12 like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I deeply respect the opinion of Jonathan Edwards and Charles Shepherd, but I do not think the ME-community should wait out the announcement of the last committee members to take action. There seems to be two arguments/concerns at play here:
    • One is that the committee might be biased by having too many members with a BPS-preference
    • The other is that some committee members such as Murphy and Bond-Kendall have a conflict of interest in evaluating the evidence on GET/CBT.
    I think both arguments should be addressed separately and the latter is independent of who the other committee members are. Even if most committee members were biomedical oriented and critical of GET/CBT, we should still be making this point.

Murphy and Bond-Kendall have published about and/or delivered GET/CBT, so one could argue that they have a personal interest in maintaining NICE recommendation of these treatments. I think this aligns with what NICE in its Policy on declaring and managing interests for NICE advisory committees (https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Defau...rocedures/declaration-of-interests-policy.pdf) calls ‘Non-financial professional and personal interests’: “when a person has a non-financial professional or personal benefit, such as increasing or maintaining their professional reputation.” There even is a case example that reads as follows:

"Example of interests: Publications in which a member expresses a clear opinion about the intervention being considered.​

Action and rationale: Potential exclusion – this is non-financial professional interest and the response will depend on the nature of the view expressed and the risk to perceived objectivity. In determining the level of involvement the chair should consider the balance between this risk and the benefit of the member’s input to the committee. It may be decided to allow a member to remain in the room to answer questions but not take part in decision-making."​

I think a formal letter should be sent to NICE demanding reassurance that Murphy and Bond-Kendall will indeed be excluded from the assessment of GET/CBT. NICE's own guidelines says that “a decision on participation should balance this risk with the benefit of the committee’s access to the person’s expertise.” But GET/CBT isn’t exactly rocket science and there is always the option to have an expert explain things to the committee members (it would probably be good thing if both a GET/CBT-proponent and a researcher who has debunked GET/CBT claims, make a formal presentation to the committee).

So I think there’s an opportunity here to make this argument now – when the full membership of the committee is known it will be all about the (potential) BPS-bias and this argument might not get the attention it deserves. It is important that the formal letter does not question or complain about the objectivity of the NICE-process as this is still in progress. It should simply demand for the guidelines on COI to be applied correctly. It should read more as a letter of concern, demanding reassurance, than an angry complaint. If these conditions are met, then I see no reason to think that such a letter might be harmful to our interests.

Simone, Lisa108, Alison Orr and 12 others like this.
  3. large donner

large donner Guest

Have you seen any of them critiquing PACE anywhere and speaking out about how appalling the whole thing is? Its not hard there's a mountain of evidence against it now.

rvallee, Alison Orr, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Statement from INVEST in ME

Addendum II - 03 November 2018

The latest news from NICE is that they have now decided to open two new positions in the working group for “Physician with an interest in ME/CFS”.

This shambles of a selection process continues to break new ground in levels of incompetence and clear signs of self-interests – from whichever “side” – seemingly being able to conduct private discussions behind the scenes with individuals and groups.
    Out of sight of patients.

We would hope that these new positions reflect unbiased choices but the “behind the scenes” discussions that already seem now to be the norm would seem to indicate that is not so.

We do not need bias or balance and we do not need any monopoly of positions in the working group, whether it be from ideology or any organisation. We need honest appraisal and real science.

But perhaps it is too late for honesty and integrity or a desire to do what is best for patients.

We would hope that these new positions fulfil the NICE selection criteria and that no deals are being made “behind the scenes”.

NICE should have been consistent.
    Does the creation of these new posts in the working group mean that NICE has opened the application process again and do the same rules apply as before?

Conflicts of interest statements should be stated before the working group starts its work.

We have so little confidence in NICE and certainly none in this selection process.

Perhaps the whole selection process needs to be removed from NICE and started again.

3 November 2018

ETA: this notice writes of “ the working group”. I have assumed that” guideline development group “ is what it refers to but this may be wrong.

ETA2: can anyone else get the link to link?
    ETA3: title moved to top

Mod- if you think this should be added to prior thread, please amend accordingly.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  5. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover likes this.
  6. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, JaimeS and Binkie4 like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards can we assume that the average ability of panel members to fully understand the PACE criticism will be low? I have not looked in depth at the list but it appears to be made up mainly of people that are not researchers. How likely is it that a dietician, nurse, occupational therapist, or average GP will have a solid understanding of clinical trial design?

If true that would be concerning. A person that doesn't understand the criticism is likely to take the position that if experts reviewed and approved it, it must be good.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether it has to be a currently practising physician, or whether they could be retired.

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it will be my job to ensure everyone on the committee understands the key arguments relating to flawed methodology. My intention is to make things simple and to provide arguments in terms that anyone can understand.

11. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So you are on the panel after all, or will you be an expert that's consulted?

My interest in this is because I have been busy making slides and graphs for the NICE review that attempt to summarize the main problems with PACE.

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will be happy to give my opinion in whatever form I am requested.

13. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m hoping these two new positions are for JE and CS. Bothbeing physicians with an interest rather than physicians who see patients. That would be very good news...

Simone, JaimeS, Indigophoton and 12 others like this.
  14. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd love to see Nigel Speight there but pigs have better chance of flying to the moon

Simone, JaimeS, Indigophoton and 9 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that any worthwhile guidelines will need to emphasise the importance of warning patients about the sort of manipulative quackery that Chris Burton is currently promoting and making money from. I doubt that a process which decided Christ Burton should be one of the people with the most power over these guidelines is capable of leading to something which will help patients.

I suspect that a committee as indisputably terrible as the current one is could be better than one which adds someone like Shepherd, which could provide NICE with some further cover.

Also, while I think Shepherd has done a lot of good things, I do worry that he can be a bit too accepting of unethical behaviour from medical staff so long as patients view them as being 'caring'.

Simone, Sean, Gecko and 5 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Professor Laws is raising systemic issues with RCTs for CBT in psychosis and schizophrenia that suffer from similar design flaws and show no significant benefit.

It may be relevant to highlight that these problems are endemic to CBT. This isn't a problem with ME research, it's all psychosocial research that is founded on sand. And of course GET is CBT mixed in with some exercise. The intent isn't just to exercise but to convince that exercise is safe and that deterioration is wrongly assumed or perceived.

This tweet also specifically applies to the Cochrane review, since PACE aside all the trials had those exact characteristics, and even by the standards of medical research even 640 participants isn't particularly large. Here this perfectly applies to PACE as being textbook flawed.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1059171604121436160

17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i.e. To subvert people's natural safety mechanisms, when those safety mechanisms are in fact working perfectly well. If this were a workplace health and safety issue, then the HSE would come down very hard on anyone subverting safety mechanisms.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Agree with this distinction.

19. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree, that we should be raising the conflicts of interest in specific individuals now, where there are also clear arguements showing NICE's own policies are being breached, and that we subsequently raise concerns about potential bias of the whole committee later when the whole committee is known.

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That might be a good approach. Split the issues and timing of raising them.