1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Doctors with ME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Wyva, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, Googling the URL given above only returns the page with the picture of Dr Qureshi - it's certainly doesn't seem to be a latest post of Doctors with ME at all.

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Barry like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, agreed, I don't think it is meant to be. I suspect as @Trish said, it is probably a mistake. A web writer has maybe accidentally created this orphaned unfinished web page below the main post's page, and overlooked to tidy it up afterwards.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen this quote and photo before, but think the only place it could have was the Doctors with ME post on the new guidelines with a number of quotes at the bottom.

Yes, it is still there, see https://doctorswith.me/nice-2021-a-...IEI-uNgyt7TURqryvcPDdWK2dKvPDLcZDfoUP5jRBCCKA

So presumably it was created as a draft for this part of the bigger page, and accidentally got left as a page by itself.

[added - sorry is that what people have already said above.]

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the other link
    "
    Shaun-Qureshi-4
    which is why I picked it up as the latest post.

Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been sharing the individual quotes on Twitter in case anyone is interested in sharing them:
    I've also been sharing these quotes on my Facebook page in case anyone is interested in sharing them from there:
    https://www.facebook.com/TomKindlonMECFS/

Hutan, Mithriel, Missense and 7 others like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I greatly appreciate the work you put into sharing quotes and extracts through social media, in relation to this but also more generally.

Hutan, Binkie4, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A doctor who doesn’t believe she is ill
    https://doctorswith.me/a-doctor-who-doesnt-believe-she-is-ill/

eta:
    "One night shift I couldn’t function at all. I could not get up off the chair. All night. A powerful, invisible magnet pulled me flat onto the desk, chair and floor. I could not overcome it."

cfsandmore, Simbindi, Trish and 2 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I had read about Dr Hng's experiences described here in her book. I think it's good for doctors to share their stories of getting ME/CFS to help educate other doctors.

I'm puzzled by the last paragraph which seems to read as if DwME are claiming the new NICE guideline, and flu vaccines for pwME in the UK, were achieved by DwME. I'm not aware of DwME as an organisation having a particular role in either of these.

11. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am I right in thinking DwME were not registered stakeholders for the NICE Guideline but added their name to a letter or statement signed by other stakeholders?

The second link goes to this article:

https://doctorswith.me/doctors-with-m-e-driving-advancement-in-frontline-care/

"Founded in 2009, Modality is now the largest National GP Super-partnership in the UK, serving over 450,000 patients across 8 regions."

"As of January 2021, Modality’s medical directors group have agreed that their organisation will be informed that patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis will be consistently offered the seasonal influenza vaccination under the NHS GMS contract. This is due to its longstanding status as a neurological condition, which will be consistently reflected across the organisation."

So this refers to the patients in the Modality practice group.

Are there 500,000 ME/CFS patients in the UK?

Where does it say that all ME patients in the UK will be offered a flu jab?

"...and its success securing annual influenza vaccinations for half a million ME/CFS patients in the UK are some examples."

Who is writing the content for this site?

----------------------------

Edited to add: The content of the paragraph I have quoted has now been edited (see Post #64)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  12. Dx Revision Watch

I've asked both Doctors with ME and Keith Geraghty, via Twitter

What does this statement by DwME refer to, please:

"...and its success securing annual influenza vaccinations for half a million ME/CFS patients in the UK are some examples."

@EducateME

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

In the first sentence of the article it says the modality group covers 500,000 patients in total. Seems the article needed proof reading.

14. Trish

So at 0.4% prevalence, they cover about 2000 pwME.

15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Not wanting to be nitpicky, but the we've seen that picture at the top of the article before, a few years ago. I'm used to the media using rubbish stock photos of models at a desk rubbing their head to represent ME, but I'm disappointed to see a patient organisation use it. I suppose it's because she's a model with a stethoscope.

16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

17. Dx Revision Watch

So, the Modality Partnership has "nearly half a million patients" and "is now the largest National GP Super-partnership in the UK, serving over 450,000 patients across 8 regions".

Modality has agreed that "As of January 2021, Modality’s medical directors group have agreed that their organisation will be informed that patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis will be consistently offered the seasonal influenza vaccination under the NHS GMS contract."

But the DwME article here: https://doctorswith.me/a-doctor-who-doesnt-believe-she-is-ill/

states:

"Doctors with M.E. has already made significant impact and put itself on the world stage. The 2021 NICE guideline on ME/CFS and its success securing annual influenza vaccinations for half a million ME/CFS patients in the UK are some examples."

So, who wrote that statement?
    Who signed off on it?

Have none of the Directors, Honorary Fellows, member of the various sub committees and members and associates who have paid a subscription fee queried the veracity of that statement?

18. Dx Revision Watch

They could have used a photo of Dr Hng.

19. Trish

I think it is a photo of Dr Hng.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  20. Dx Revision Watch

Peter Trewhitt likes this.