1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Video: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a terrible name

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Adam pwme, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Adam pwme

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a terrible name for a disease. Doctor Anthony Komaroff, who was part of the original group that came up with the name, said it was a big mistake because it trivializes and stigmatizes the illness.

The name Myalgic Encephalomyelitis had been in use since the nineteen fifties, but in nineteen eighty eight the CDC decided on a new name, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which does not convey the severity or the nature of the condition.

ME is not just fatigue; it's a serious, long term disease with a wide range of symptoms.

Fatigue isn't the most important symptom either. Patients have an energy impairment that dramatically limits their activity. When they exceed their available energy, they experience a worsening of symptoms that can last for days, weeks, or even months.

Everybody experiences fatigue, which means people often assume it's just being tired all the time.

But the fatigue patients experience is completely different, It's a severe, persistent, exhaustion that can be profoundly disabling.

Laura Hillenbrand, the award winning author said it's like comparing a match to an atomic bomb.

To make things worse, the name is often shortened to Chronic Fatigue, which is not a disease, but a symptom associated with many conditions, like Cancer and Depression.

The name of a disease is important because it can influence people's attitudes, including those of healthcare professionals.

Many doctors are dismissive, making comments like “I'm fatigued all the time too.”

The diagnostic criteria for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have also been criticised because they can include people who don't have ME. This has led to unreliable research, as well as confusion among patients and healthcare professionals.

The majority of patients prefer the term ME and most health agencies and researchers now use the term ME/CFS.

3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ooo thats good!

You are so great at these videos Adam thank you so much :)

bobbler, Louie41, DokaGirl and 12 others like this.
  4. Adam pwme

Thanks Jem :)

Louie41, DokaGirl, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  5. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

I wished CFS name would go away. I think just the name has really hurt. The disease should be named after someone like other diseases are, to make it sound more important.

6. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great video and just what I need to send to someone I was trying to explain exactly this to only yesterday. I've also written a number of emails to journalists and news outlets lately about it. I'll include your video in future.

Thank you @Adam pwme

bobbler, Louie41, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  7. Adam pwme

Thanks old timer glad it's useful :)

Louie41, Trish, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  8. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another good video, Adam. Do you get someone in to do the narration?

Louie41, alktipping, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  9. Adam pwme

Thanks. Yeah, I got a guy that does voice overs from an app called Fiverr. What did you think? Wondering whether to use him for future videos.

Louie41, alktipping, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I love that your videos are so short. It's possible to use them in contexts where a longer video wouldn't be possible, for example I can imagine picking a one or more of them to show to a new carer or clinician to help explain ME.

11. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think he's done a good job.

Louie41, alktipping, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  12. Adam pwme

Thanks Trish, that's what I was aiming for. I rarely have the energy to explain things and when I do I struggle to it well.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought he was good; his voice reminded me of Graham.

Keela Too, ukxmrv, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounded good to me.

Louie41, alktipping, Trish and 3 others like this.
  15. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you very much @Adam pwme for this!

As @Trish said, good video, and short, to-the-point.

Louie41, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.