1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New draft NICE guidelines for chronic pain emphasises exercise, CBT and acupuncture over medication

Discussion in 'Other guidelines' started by Esther12, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn't that.

"We really need to do a whole lot more to make readily available behavioural treatments for #chronic pain more evidence based"

Hutan, Michelle, shak8 and 9 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/nice-draft-guideline-on-pain-and-application-to-me-cfs/

3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are so many ways that answers to that survey could be twisted to use against a patient. And I couldn't answer quite a few of them because the actual situation I'm in wasn't given as an option. I hope I'm never in a situation where I am forced to answer this questionnaire as a condition of continuing to be prescribed the pain relief I get for chronic pain.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

program on C4 How to beat Pain
    "What simple techniques help relieve chronic pain, from migraine to backache? Is it often in the mind? Do yoga, tai chi, or acupuncture work? And who tolerates pain best, men or women?"

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-beat/on-demand/70184-003

I thought it rather trivialised the issue (eg describing migraine as a bad headache).
    The only interesting bit was
    "The most fascinating case was 71-year-old Jo Cameron, who feels no pain. She broke her arm as a child, but didn’t mention it until her mother noticed the limb turning a funny colour.
    Scientists have discovered she has a pain-suppressing genetic mutation, which could prompt the development of new pain-killing drugs."

review on the program in 'the I'
    https://inews.co.uk/culture/televis...ingless-kate-quilton-javid-abdelmoneim-576971

eta: included patients with fibromyalgia and RA

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just filled it in. I think it's worth doing. Used the boxes to make comments about unproven therapies being offered, and unblinded trials with subjective outcomes, and to point out the harm caused by therapy leaving people feeling blamed for not being able to contol physical pain with their minds.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very poor questionnaire, frankly. I don't think the responses will be of much use.

Probably worth filling it but it's poorly worded and structured, very superficial. As is tradition with anything psychosocial. By physicians for physicians.

alktipping, Amw66, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By physicians for physicians to garner a particular response ?
    Or will the expanded answers such as @Trish ' s be significant enough to count for something

alktipping, ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  10. MEMarge

The survey is presumably a response to the d(r)aft Guidelines, designed to be drawn up, completed over two week period, ie 31st Aug, and then analysed for results to be submitted by the consultation deadline of 14 Sep.

I think it is well worth noting things you want to add as you go through, so that you can add them in the final comments box.

11. MEMarge

There is a petition asking for these draft Guidelines to be amended, which I think is hugely important.They are getting close to the 25k target of signatures:
    https://www.change.org/p/national-institute-for-health-and-care-excellence-stop-the-proposed-cruel-changes-to-chronic-pain-nice-guidelines?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=370d4220-ee33-11ea-9854-afc7f9173e87&utm_content=fht-23919198-en-gb:0

Please sign if you believe that people with unexplained pain need access to some meds other than antidepressants!

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

and also top of NICEs list of treatments is CBT, and ACT. This has got to stop.

13. MEMarge

Petition now over 24,000.

14. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Attached Files:

15. Dx Revision Watch

All the day's Letters to the Editor are usually listed under the one link.

16. Dx Revision Watch

There might be an individual link available for that specific Letter tomorrow.

alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  17. MEMarge

Letter says 150 more signatories online. From an article in Pulse and comments from doctorsnet, many GPs and other doctors are really anti this draft as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2020
  18. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full list of signatories.

Attached Files:

alktipping, Michelle and MEMarge like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That letter makes it sound like if they can diagnose the source of the pain, the patient can have drugs to treat it, but if they don't know the source, no drugs, just psychobabble. Which is exactly what the problematic guideline says.

20. MEMarge

Above petition reached 25k and has been sent to NICE. It is still ongoing if anyone still wants to sign.

Yes @Trish, had not realised how disappointing the Times letter was!

alktipping, Hutan, Michelle and 3 others like this.