1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New draft NICE guidelines for chronic pain emphasises exercise, CBT and acupuncture over medication

Discussion in 'Other guidelines' started by Esther12, Aug 3, 2020.

1. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thinking aloud, the 'primary' bit may be important. If our pain is 'secondary' and usually neuropathic in nature, then that may mean this guideline isn't applicable? It's another argument to be had with doctors, though.

2. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When they create these guidelines, do they not consider the serious risk that patients denied proper medical help will end up self-medicating with drink and illegal drugs. I find myself thinking that this may be the way to go, never having taken this approach before...

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me the problem seems to be not in the concept of primary pain but in people being willing to accept very low standards of evidence for some treatments like CBT.

And also that medicine is so heavily driven by commercial interests, meaning that most of the attention is on finding treatments that allow someone to profit. There is little interest in finding out the real mechanisms, preventing disease and testing inexpensive treatment options.

5. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there evidence to support acupuncture for pain? I had the impression such evidence was rather poor. Am I wrong?

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. adambeyoncelowe

That was my impression too. Some perverse priorities, one might assume...

8. adambeyoncelowe

It looks like the neuropathic pain guideline was updated in December 2019 so is still 'current': https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg173

My guess is that the new guideline is supposed to be for conditions where pain is the primary symptom (e.g., FM, chronic cervical pain, etc). But the lack of specificity in the guideline title could result in any patient with pain being treated this way.

I wonder if FM charities will be challenging this?

9. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Over 10 yrs ago, when my son was first ill with, he had chronic and severe headaches, diagnosed as cluster headaches. Along with medication, his consultant suggested we might try acupuncture as the most likely to help of the various alternative therapies. I did quite a lot of research myself and there was some support for it (better than most), so we did splash out and he agreed to try. The effect was immediate and dramatic, bringing immediate relief, and return to a normal life (he'd been missing about 1/3 days in school due to the the headaches, as well as feeling poorly -- this was classic boom and bust, but being focused on the headaches we didn't see it at the time. So, based on his experience, it did help with the pain, and he was able to come off the medication completely, and enjoy the rest of his last year of primary school.

However, about 6 months later he was hit by a nasty virus, and from then he was poorly for 5-6 years. We did try acupuncture again, but after 3 sessions it was evident it was not helping so we ended it. Fortunately he was spared the severe headaches, so pain wasn't an issue any more, except when he'd overdone.

We also had a longtime family friend with severe arthritis, and she found a lot of relief with monthly sessions along with medication. So for some people it does seem to help, but certainly not everyone.

10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you ever heard of a pin-cushion suffering from pain?

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Heard of no - but as my cats pin cushion of choice, for anything claw related, I can categorically state that simply being a pin cushion used in such a fashion is painful.

The pain may distract from other forms of pain tho - it being more immediate.

12. Arnie Pye

How many people have medical records that are both accurate enough and complete enough to actually let doctors know what has happened to the patient? How many people are assumed to be somatisers on the basis of incomplete records? When I bought my own GP records I discovered that there was some useful info buried in letters and operation notes but it had been summarised so poorly that only about 5% - 10% of what actually happened to me was clear. And of course, my medical records always, always, always trump anything I have to say to a doctor because some bastard decided I was a hypochondriac, a drug-seeker and an attention-seeker nearly 50 years ago.

I suspect that the suicide rate amongst the disabled and chronically ill is going to rise massively.

13. Arnie Pye

I don't know her. Is she shopping-bag woman? Her grinning picture, in the context of this guideline, is enough to make me want to punch her repeatedly.

14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. adambeyoncelowe

Well exactly.

16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This site has a number of presentations that give a good overview of the BPS approach to chronic pain. Pharmac is the NZ centralised drug purchasing organisation - so it has an interest in minimising drug use.
    https://www.pharmac.govt.nz/seminars/seminar-resources/chronic-pain/#presentation5

I found these videos gave me a much better understanding of what the BPS people are thinking and doing - as clinicians are talking to other clinicians. The arrogance is breath-taking at times. I can see that a little of what they propose might be useful for pain, but it goes horribly wrong when they try to apply it to ME/CFS or IBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCHMf0kiSIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjXj6hutoaY

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    ladycatlover, sebaaa, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  17. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is a long term outcome for chronic pain? If you take a painkiller and the pain goes away, it works. Even taking the edge of the pain is a worthwhile outcome.

I just don't understand what they are talking about. If you have a pain in your back all the time then something has gone wrong whether with your back or the pain signalling from your back.

I have never heard of anyone taking opiods for months in the hope that they will eventually work. Taking ibuprofen or paracetamol for a while so they reduce inflammation is a physical answer to a physical problem so I do not see why CBT would help.

Are they really saying that people must learn to live with their pain when a pill exists that would take it away?

Common sense would say that none of this applies to us as our pain is secondary to another illness but when did that stop them attacking us and making our lives worse. Frightened by this.

18. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Covered on the BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53649189

ladycatlover and Invisible Woman like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to remember that long-term results for self-reported pain didn't tend to be better for those on pain medication than those not, but this is a memory of something I've not looked at for years.

20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So..people with long term pain don't suddenly not have long term pain after being given a pill, when you stop giving them pills?

Long term pain treatment isn't like a plaster cast for a broken leg.

It's more like oxygen for someone with COPD.

I would have suicided years ago without 'sort of' effective pain relief.

But doing so I suppose I would have saved the NHS a few quid a week - so swings and roundabouts.

Compared with many, many other drugs, not even the expensive ones, most painkillers cost pennies to the NHS - some may have a fairly high street value but that's only because they are illegal if not on prescription - the actual cost is not high - e.g. enough morphine to keep me relatively pain free, not totally, morphine at the amounts I take is useless for breakthrough pain, costs the NHS a little under £4 a month.

So this isn't a cost thing, it's not an evidence based thing that uses actual evidence - it's purely puritan doctrine