1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

#MillionsMissing 2020 in Germany

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Joh, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This year #MillionsMissing global protests will take place between May 9th–17th.

#MillionsMissing Germany announced the participating cities from Germany today:

:hug: Aachen, Erlangen, Freiburg, Gütersloh, Halle, Münster and Ravensburg :hug:

These are more cities than in the years before (we had no more than three until now) and the list is still growing.

The volunteers in the individual cities would be very happy to receive shoes and messages. Friends and family can also send in messages. In addition, helpers are still being sought in all cities.

All info: https://www.millionsmissing.de/2020/02/12/millionsmissing-deutschland-aktionen-2020-9-17-mai/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. Joh

There will also be an action in Berlin again. :)

A (hopefully big) group of pwME and supporters will form the letters SOS in front of the German Bundestag.
    In the last two years there was a program with speeches and music, this year it will be a "silent protest". Shoes and messages will be displayed again.

The hope is to talk to many MPs while being in front of the Bundestag – especially after more contacts have been established at the parliamentary debate on Thursday.

Everybody is invited to join.

Andy, lycaena, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  3. Joh

There will also be a #MillionsMissing action in Munich. :)

We are now at nine cities in Germany – three times more than in the last two years.
    Aachen, Berlin, Erlangen, Freiburg, Gütersloh, Halle, München, Münster and Ravensburg.

If you're from Germany (or if you're not but would like to support the actions), please send messages with or without shoes.

All info: https://www.millionsmissing.de/2020/02/12/millionsmissing-deutschland-aktionen-2020-9-17-mai/

Andy, Wonko, Comet and 2 others like this.
  4. Joh

All actions are canceled due to Corona. It will be a virtual protest instead.

Leila, Esther12, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same worldwide? I wonder if paying for billboards would help us to be visible and get attention in an new way. And show we mean business. I saw that an animal welfare charity in the UK were renting billboards on the London Underground to get out their message. They fundraised for it. It’s not that expensive to rent on major cities about £300-500 per two weeks I think.

Leila and ladycatlover like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I reckon paid advertising on digital media and/or TV and Radio maybe local radio/ smaller TV channels would be a better investment to reach people than billboards. No idea of costs & how achievable tho. Also as mid May is expected to the peak of the virus here maybe the public could get put off by us trying to get publicity for ME right when the pandemic is really bad.

8. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/news/2020/03/ban-live-exports-message-reaches-millions-across-london?utm_campaign=transport&utm

This shows what type of ads can be brought for £15, 000. A mix of billboards, mainstream press ads and an innovative use of a lorry circling London brought an intensive targeted campaign in London to life. I think it could be done here but they raised the money in 5 hours so we are slightly disadvantaged!
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1236249891829096451

I take the point regarding coronovirus. Perhaps August 8th severe ME day instead, we could do with one year highlighting the severe and perhaps after corono the healthy quarantined might have more empathy regarding the confinement.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  9. Joh

As the street protests had to be cancelled, #MillionsMissing Germany announced a new action today: postcards to the Health Minister.

Quick English translation:

"Jens Spahn, you got mail!" | #MillionsMissing4Action ❤✊

The protests around the international ME/CFS Day on May 12 cannot take place on the streets due to the current situation. #MillionsMissing Germany calls instead to send mail from the quarantine - directly to Minister Jens Spahn!

The #MillionsMissing campaign is supported by all German patient organizations - the German ME/CFS Society, Fatigatio e.V. and the Lost Voices Foundation.

ME/CFS patient know what it means to live in isolation. With the big difference that the end of quarantine or involuntary isolation is not foreseeable because there is no approved treatment, medical training and research funding. This action is intended to highlight the extent of the care crisis and the urgent need for action.
    Institutions like the Department for Health have to take on their responsibility for 250.000 patients, among them 40.000 kids, with ME/CFS.

Write your personal postcard to Minister Jens Spahn. You can also write to politicians in your own constituency. We have compiled a list of addresses in the linked help section. The more cards arrive on May 12th in the Bundestag and other relevant institutions, the better! Everybody is invited to participate - patients, relatives, friends and all supporters like doctors, politicians, etc.

The postcards can be written by hand or sent from home through an online service provider . We recommend:
    www.urlaubsgruss.com

The date of dispatch can be freely selected in advance online at the provider urlaubsgruss.com, so it doesn't matter when the card is created - whether it's on 1 or 8 May. You choose a motif for the card yourself, for example a photo of your shoes including your message, a photo of yourself or a poster. On the back you can write a personal text.

Tipps for creating your cards and the addresses can be found here:
    bit.ly/MMDPostcard

Before you send your card(s), it's best to take photos or screenshots of your card(s) so that you can post them on social media with the #MillionsMissing on May 12th.

We look forward to working together on the international ME/CFS Day to promote recognition, care and biomedical research!

Please write your cards in a respectful manner, as the goal is to open a dialogue.

- Your #MillionsMissing Germany team -
    www.millionsmissing.de | kontakt@millionsmissing.de

Last edited: May 1, 2020