1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Millions Missing events, 9th to 17th May 2020

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Trish, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From an e-mail from #MEAction:

It’s already time to start thinking and planning for #MillionsMissing 2020!

This year #MillionsMissing global protests will take place between May 9th-May 17th. Our registration pages and toolkits will be available soon.

[​IMG]
    #MillionsMissing is a global campaign for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) health equity, led by #MEAction. We rally around the world for increased government funding for research, clinical trials, medical education and public awareness.

We call ourselves the “Millions Missing” because there are millions of people with ME who are too sick to protest, there are millions of dollars missing from government research, and there are millions of doctors not being educated about ME. The first global #MillionsMissing protests took place in May 2016. It has since grown each year to an astounding 100+ cities and virtual protests in 2019. We plan to take 2020 by storm!

We will email you as soon as registration opens - along with toolkits and FAQ’s on planning an event! Keep an eye out and save the date!

In solidarity,

Laurie Jones
    #MEAction

Invisible Woman, Wonko, Joh and 9 others like this.
  2. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All actions are canceled. #MillionsMissing will be virtual because of COVID-19.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if paying for billboards would help us to be visible and get attention in an new way without people on the street over #MM time. And it would show we mean business, in fact they’d linger and get more notice than a two hour demo. . I saw that an animal welfare charity in the UK were renting billboards on the London Underground to get out their message. They fundraised for it. It’s not that expensive to rent on major cities about £300-500 per two weeks I think. I don’t know about prime locations. Solve ME did it once Dramatically in Times Square NY.

i’m not sure going Virtual Alone will manage to achieve much based on other years. Someone elsewhere stressed importance of getting media attention and I think that thats Right and still possible to do if imaginative, possibly. It’s also about aims and direction as to what groups do I suppose. I couldn’t see what uk #MM were specifically asking for and who specifically was being targeted.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@Cinders66, you could contact the organisers and make your suggestion to them, perhaps offer to help with organising if you are able.

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will write to them but I’m way to ill to participate unfortunately. I did look up regarding cost in the UK and I don’t think its prohibitive. If people with design skills to make them can be found ...

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

silver lining.........
    the APS 2020 Annual Meeting has been cancelled
    (American psychosomatic society, that I think RMM was due to speak at)

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sing in the Virtual Choir for #MillionsMissing!
    MAY 01, 2020 @ 02:00 PM - MAY 07, 2020 @ 11:00 PM CEST
    "
    We’re putting together a virtual choir piece for #MillionsMissing! If you like to sing, please join us by recording a video of you singing!

Here’s an example of a virtual choir.

We’ll be singing “You’ve Got a Friend” by Carole King

Deadline to submit is May 7th! We will stream the finished product on May 12th as part of the #MillionsMissing virtual protest.

Please follow the instructions below carefully to make sure your submission is included."
    details here:
    https://www.meaction.net/event/sing-in-the-virtual-choir-for-millionsmissing/

8. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, JaneL and lycaena like this.