1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I guess it's how politicians treat science. They decide what they want to do according to their ideology or self interest, then ask their tame scientists to give them some evidence to justify it, and sack them if they don't come up with the required answer.

Maggie, JaimeS, pteropus and 11 others like this.
  3. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maggie, Melanie, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

There's conflict of interest and then there's bias, they're different but overlapping constructs.

People tend to think of pharma money when they think of coi, but that's only one type of coi. We should be much, much more concerned about other, more subtle ones. They are really messing with our science.

The concept of COI is that you have a greater chance of a future reward if the outcome goes one way than if it goes another.
    - If you design a study so that you will only get funds to complete it if the initial results go a certain way, then that's a COI.
    - If one particular outcome would reduce your chances of getting other grants in the future (e.g., the DWP won't give you any more money), then that's a COI.
    - If your next job promotion depends on whether you publish the study in a prestigious journal, and the likelihood of that is greater if you get a certain outcome (which it often is), then that's a COI.
    - if you stand to get more fame, royalties, paid travel, book deals, or more therapy clients if the outcome goes a certain way, then that's a COI.

Its not a COI if you get the benefit irrespective of study outcome.

A COI does not occur just because you believe in one outcome as more likely than the other. At the core of a COI is probable future reward beyond the research itself. Belief can still cause bias though, massive bias, but that's different from a coi.

So a COI causes bias, but not all bias is due to a COI.

5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Bias is fascinating. Looking at Psychology's replication crisis, I've noticed the sources of bias are different across different fields.

In Social Psychology, the bias is caused by people wanting to get published in high profile journals and get their names in the papers. Sexy, eye-catching stuff gets rewarded. Usually the outcome has to go a certain way for that (ie. there's a definite COI). So you get "Sad people really do get the blues: Feeling sad selectively enhances attention to short wavelength light" (no lie! although the real title was not exactly that).

In Clinical Psychology, the bias is caused by strong theoretical allegiances to particular approaches or views. So you get "Training depressed people not to look at sad pictures relieves their depression" (because CBT for depression is based on the idea that negative attentional biases and negative thoughts cause depression). This one also not a lie! Sometimes, there's a COI here too (if you stand to get more clientele if the outcome goes a certain way), but sometimes its just sheer belief that causes the bias.

Both the studies I described above were absolute bullshit when you gave them even a cursory look over. Noone bothered to. Because often the readers, citers and promoters of the works have their own biases which just happen to align. "Sad people really do get the blues" sells good copy. "Positive attentional training eases depression" appeals to every psyc wanting to show that the ideas underlying CBT for depression are evidence-based.

We just tend not to spend too much time looking at the results that went the way we thought they would.

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're not, they know full well the rules but don't abide by them and they get away with it.

Maggie, janice, Melanie and 5 others like this.
  7. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

aka: Decision based, evidence making (not to be confused with evidence based, decision making)

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But if those COI were not declared to the participants at the start of the trial when they signed up to it, and then once the trial results were published they find COI are declared, that's akin to some kind of breach of contract.

janice, Melanie, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  9. Barry

And in the sense that a contract legally committed to was then changed under the feet of those engaging in that contract prior to its completion, and without any notification to those participating in that contract, so thereby denying them a legal right surely.

Melanie, MEMarge and Daisymay like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Be an interesting exercise to see how many types of formal logical fallacies are used in defence of PACE.

JaimeS, pteropus, Samuel and 5 others like this.
  11. Daisymay

Quite.

Also the PACE practitioners who carried out CBT/GET, were they told of the conflicts of interest?

The GP's who referred patients?

Th ethics committee members?

janice, Melanie, Wonko and 10 others like this.
  12. Daisymay

General question, does anyone know what happens when researchers apply for any MRC ( or other ) grant, do they not have to declare any COI right there, at the start, to ensure they are eligible for the grant in the first place?

So in the case of PACE might there be evidence of disclosure of COI right at the start of the process?

And if not why not?

janice, Melanie, Wonko and 11 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the current Guidance for Applicants to MRC but I don't know how much it might have changed.
    I'm guessing though that the COI section would have applied pretty much as is.

https://mrc.ukri.org/documents/pdf/guidance-for-applicants/

"What interests should be declared?" page 9

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is itjust me, or are those MRC guidelines defective. On second thoughts, I know I am.

1.4.4. on p9 provides for disclosure of "Unremunerated involvement with any organisation named in the grant or which might benefit from the outcome of the research that are not mentioned in the application..."

It should surely provide elsewhere for remunerated involvement, but I cannot see it. But there is a catch all general provision.

Melanie, MEMarge, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I assume there is also a concept of past reward implying future reward. So if I have done work for insurance companies in the past then I am likely to do so in the future assuming good status follows from good results.

The thing I am wondering about whether institutions should declare CoIs. For example Barts/QMUL have a ME service that does one particular treatment and their revenue stream for this is perhaps tied to the results (and perhaps liabilities if it fails in terms of employment contracts). QMUL was the principle sponsor for PACE and I believe legally responsible.

janice, Melanie, Wonko and 7 others like this.
  16. Daisymay

Yes, and the COI of the DWP who gave a considerable grant to PACE?

Maggie, janice, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  17. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

But only if they have the ability to influence the trial. Giving money to a cause is not a CoI. A cause taking money from someone with alternative interests could be.

My point about QMUL is that as an organisation (and legal entity) they were highly involved in the trial (as primary sponsors and employers of one PI) as well as an interest in the outcome (as a treatment centre and through the research assessment process that leads to additional money). How can an organisation who are in such a position also be responsible for governance and yet hide data.

janice, MEMarge, Melanie and 6 others like this.
  18. Daisymay

Yes I see.

MEMarge, Melanie and Invisible Woman like this.
  19. Barry

Also, is there nothing built into a trial protocol (including ethics etc), dictating what the correct procedure is if COI arise during the course of the trial? This stuff should be laid down in formal legally binding procedures, not random scribblings on the back of a cigarette packet.

janice, MEMarge, Melanie and 4 others like this.
  20. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've lost track. Do we know whether or not the PACE authors declared COI to the MRC?

janice, Barry and Melanie like this.