1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe: Mind, Medicine and Morals: A Tale of Two Illnesses (2019) BMJ blog - and published responses

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Estherbot, May 29, 2019.

1. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks like a formulation designed to tar any criticism as comprehensive bigotry. The typical wesley/sharpe et al formulation is that those who criticize BPS are bigoted against mentally ill people; here it is against: women, non-whites, the disabled, the poor.

Of course the implication is that women, minorities, and the disabled simply can't be expected to have the same level of self-awareness and self-control as the rational, able-bodied white male. Which is, in fact, comprehensively bigoted.

Strangely, the article kind of points that out, as well, so... yeah.

inox, alktipping, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Gotta admire their sheer chutzpah. They will smear anybody.

Which is a very long list of enemies.

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

As a member of the patriarchy I'm trying to work out whether I'm going to end up at the top of the pile or the bottom of the pile once all these people have finished waffling.

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

when you're a young academic, I assume these theories can come across as appealing and intuitive and can seem to explain lots of confusing things.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But would a young lass fro' Yorkshire have owt to do wi' it?
    Maybe if she knew that where there's muck there's brass (to rhyme wi' the US pronunciation of ass).

dave30th, Mithriel, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The anthropological view as espoused by, inter alia, Kleinman and which is suggested by this recent writer is interesting. I was refreshing memory on another matter and came upon this in the CIBA conference book.

McCluskey: How then do you explain the fact that most of us here would agree that about75% of CFS patients describe an acute pyrexial event(an influenza like illness) which started their symptoms?

Kleinman: This is the issue of whether or not there is a construction of the story itself, in order to prove a point.

@p125 in discussing RHT Edwards paper on Muscle histopathology and pathophysiology in CFS

That is indeed an issue, but is it the patient or Kleinman who is constructing a story to prove a point? The narrative approach is not without its difficulties.

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Repeatedly insinuating that patients are in denial about the psychosocial cause of their illness leads to patients emphasizing especially strongly how the cause is not psychosocial, which could appear like a confirmation that patients are in denial.

inox, alktipping, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Early on in the course of my ME, I was perfectly willing to consider a bio psychosocial model for my condition, indeed I did not really care what the aetiology was as long as I found a way to get it treated.

Participating in a research project looking at the impact of a specific diet supplement the psychiatrist leading it insisted on my agreeing that ME had a psychological cause and got more and more upset when I disagreed. Indeed it was her obvious emotional need for me to believe her psychological narrative, that lead me to consider what approach best fitted my symptoms and to reject a primary psychological explanations as causal or as a major maintaining factor.

Indeed her conduct was so bizarre for someone supposedly researching biological factors that for a while I wondered briefly if I was in fact a subject in a covert social psychology experiment, which I initially thought more likely than a lead researcher understanding so little about potential bias. Ultimately her need to belittle me each time I did not agree with her views lead to me dropping out of the research.

shak8, Kirsten, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  9. chrisb

I have always thought that if you fall into the hands of a psychiatrist in the US you do at least have the chance of being declared cured once the insurance runs out.

10. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe from European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine Annual Meeting 2019

"most illnesses that people have are not based in disease, disease is actually the minority sport, disease is very important in determining mortality, but determining morbidity in the population disease is less important"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDTAHUMnq4

Arvo, JohnTheJack, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  11. chrisb

It is puzzling to hear Sharpe pronouncing on these new subjects. Almost Forty years new, in fact. It is strange that he does not make clear the history of these issues and exactly what is the basis of his ideas. I am sure he is aware of Eisenberg and Kleinman. Why is there no mention of Arthur Cott and McMaster.

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

another self perpetuating circle:

dodgy bps research paper -> null results falsly hailed as success -> bps researcher gets more funding ->

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  13. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you mean Arthur Kleinman from Harvard or someone else?

chrisb, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  14. chrisb

The Harvard one, who co-authored papers with Eisenberg, and who helped organise the 1985 Illness Behaviour Conference in Toronto which may have been the apotheosis of the movement until its reintroduction by Sharpe.

alktipping, Medfeb and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm currently not in the mood to watch the video of post #430, but for those who are interested:

The sign on the left of the still says:

"Welcome! We wish you an inspiring meeting!",

followed by the quote from Steve Jobs:

"The difference between a leader and a follower is innovation." :yuck:

Postillion is the name of the hotel chain that also lets conference spaces.

(@Adam pwme )

16. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Transcript.

If anyone spots mistakes, please let me know and I’ll alter it. In a few places I was unsure of what I could hear and for theses I put a (?) or two likely options. For ease of reading I also added some punctuation where it seemed obvious and divided into short sections, so these are mine and not Sharpe’s.

Edit - removed my edit to add queries about Jamieson Hurry and his book.
    In the text I have also made the book title more obviously a title. I’ve removed the (?) in the transcript by his name.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Arvo, Woolie, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think that's what I would call 'making stuff up'.
    Where's the science? Where's the evidence?
    It's not a paradigm it's a parody.

18. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was trying to work out what to say, and all I could come up with was “What mumbo-jumbo!”

You’ve said it better Trish!

19. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re Obesity. I suspect that obesity (long thought of as a personal failing) will one day be demonstrated as a response to our modern high-carb, highly processed diet. Perhaps it happens only in genetically susceptible individuals, or maybe some other factor triggers a dis-regulation of appetite. In my view hunger, like thirst and pain, is a bodily sensation that evolution has designed to be impossible to ignore. Blaming patients for not being able to ignore these sensations is as bonkers for hunger as it is for pain.

alktipping, Hutan, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I forgot to say, thank you, @Skycloud for the transcript. It's saved the rest of us suffering through the talk!

alktipping, MEMarge, Skycloud and 4 others like this.