1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Member comments wanted: First section (Why the guideline is needed) of the NICE ME/CFS guidelines draft scope

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds a bit like ME/CFS is a wastebucket diagnosis - something some doctors told me, and I disagreed. But here it is.
    And there are clinical criteria for ME and CFS. There is no biomarker. There are markers that could underline a diagnosis.
    Actually, this sentence is puzzling.

Argh. I cannot agree - others obviously too.

I agree. This was my spontaneous thought, too.

Although these can be symptoms, I don't feel this is a correct characterization. Can't they use ICC or CCC to characterize ME correctly? ME has a clear formulated set of symptoms (plus individual symptoms) - this sounds non-telling.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Ravn, Amw66, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regarding characterised by fatigue, this is how AFME are describing it and they also wrote the parliamentary briefing bit that also copied their description. I'm very ill and haven't been able to really grasp this whole process but am getting concerned at what NICEs objectives might be, i.e. just a tweaking of the status quo versus what patients want and who in the stakeholders list will actually be advocating what patients want. I'm pleased to see #MEAction open in their criticisms but I'm not sure how much of a radical change MEA & AFME will ask for beyond GET modifications and who else are contributing. I'm obviously grateful people are doing this all on our behalf but seeing that stakeholders like the RCGPs were arguing that the current guidelines were TOO medical and not BPS enough, plus the debates around diagnosis and size of net, fatigue vs ME I'm uneasy.
    Are 25% and TYMES submitting , what happens when people send in criticisms of the drafts, are NICE obliged to listen to patients over other SH, say we don't like the next draft? I'm glad and grateful S4ME will be submitting thoughts thank you.

3. Breeze

Breeze Established Member

4. Breeze

Yes, fatigue misleading
    Significantly reduced physical and mental stamina?

5. Breeze

Amw66 likes this.
  6. Breeze

Agreed

Inara likes this.