1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

#MEAction: NIH Update: Collins Will Meet With #MEAction Representatives!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Sep 6, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion but some people on there are like a record with the needle stuck.

2. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh God one in particular, not content with one tweet, has to be multiple tweets. The person is everywhere I go. It's a wonder he hasn't found his way in here!!!

JaimeS and NelliePledge like this.
  3. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe I’m just missing things but I don’t see any bad tweets replying to the NIH tweet?

4. Sunshine3

Well I think saying who gives ME Action the right to represent ME patients for one and the gif screaming Lies is hardly friendly...if we were all singing from the same hymn sheet it would look better but we are not. Right now we urgently need Research dollars, that should be the focus in the replies to his tweets imo.

JaimeS, MEMarge, Milo and 3 others like this.
  5. Diluted-biscuit

Ah I thought people meant replies that were anti ME/CFS but you mean tweets that just aren’t helpful to the cause. That makes more sense and yes I agree they aren’t helpful.

I do have issues with ME actions style of advocacy but I agree that that is not the place to voice those concerns.

Hutan and ladycatlover like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regarding the tweet claim that we are getting less than 1% of what we should, that’s not correct. Dimmock and others calculated a figure of $186 million or something like that. 1% of that is $2 million.

JaimeS, MEMarge, Simon M and 2 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Sunshine3

I have zero faith in Koroshetz for some reason, he always seems evasive.

rvallee likes this.
  9. Dolphin

That reminds me: Canadian activists are looking for 80 something million dollars. I read in a National ME/FM Action Network publication recently that the CIHR gave $800,000,000 to grants last year. Looking for more than 10% of the budget, especially given how few researchers there are in Canada, is looking for too much in my mind.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's probably mine :) What I meant is overall. Only the US actually funds biomedical research, the rest of the world combines for a fraction of what the NIH funds. The US represents 20% of the world's economy. So 80% of the world's economy barely funds biomedical research in ME. And the NIH funding was much lower than it currently is for a long time, with significant amounts wasted on nonsense research.

The disease has been recognized since 1969. If we take total worldwide disease burden and sum up the proportion of adequate research funding this disease received during that time, I think 1% is even stretching it.

Of course that means the NIH is punching way above everyone else and should not be expected to make up for neglect in the rest of the world, but it remains the overall picture. It just explains why there haven't been any outstanding results. Most diseases aren't fully-funded based on total burden, but 30-40% will get you the same results as fully-funded within 3 years whereas 1% will take several decades.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    JaimeS, andypants and Sisyphus like this.
  11. Dolphin

If one replies to the head of the NIH, a lot of people would read that as applying to the NIH budget:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1071537610592608257

I agree that the worldwide situation is disappointing, though I think the relatively low level that has historically been raised privately hasn't helped, though it has been great to see big improvements in this area in the last decade or so.

MEMarge likes this.
  12. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“but 30-40% will get you the same results as fully-funded within 3 years whereas 1% will take several decades.”

Personally, I think the pace of progress with one percent funding is virtually zero. It is not enough for a researcher to make a career decision to work in this field, and it is not enough for a critical mass of researchers to form, compete, inspire and exchange ideas with each other.
    Just my two cent’s worth.

Hutan likes this.
  13. Kalliope

#MEAction:
    #MEAction met with NIH director - Here's what happened

#MEAction appreciates that Dr. Collins, Dr. Koroshetz, Dr. Nath, and NIH program staff took the time to meet with us. We felt that there were some good discussions on opportunities to incrementally advance the field that will be important to pursue. However, it was evident that NIH leadership is not yet ready to significantly accelerate NIH’s approach and commitment to ME because they feel the science is not ready, and that the field lacks the needed researchers and high-quality grant applications. NIH reaffirmed its approach of focusing on foundational research and using the Collaborative Research Centers to create what Dr. Koroshetz has previously referred to as “a seed” to grow the field over time.

We strongly disagree with this approach. We see significant opportunities in both basic research and treatment trials to rapidly transform ME research, drug development, and clinical care. Achieving this requires a much stronger and more strategic commitment from NIH, one that is focused on delivering outcomes for patients as quickly as possible.

JaimeS, Alvin, andypants and 3 others like this.
  14. Sunshine3

Has this email from ME Action gone live as I didn't receive it?

15. Kalliope

JaimeS, rvallee, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  16. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't really think it's a good idea to continue lobbying the NIH like this. Public agencies weren't meant to be lobbied. They aren't elected, and they have little motivation to respond to public will. It's a much better idea to lobby congress to take action or put on pressure.

17. Kalliope

18. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So in other words they are creating a fake Mexican standoff by saying there is no one good enough to do research hence we won't fund new research and everyone and anyone you present is not good enough (and probably never will be, this part is silent).
    No other disease funding works like this so they are acting in bad faith even if they choose to believe they are not.

There is no chicken or the egg problem here, there is a we are not interested but won't admit this even to ourselves problem.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    JaimeS likes this.
  19. Diluted-biscuit

Fully agree with this, I’m very worried by what I’ve seen.

petrichor likes this.
  20. Kalliope