1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

#MEAction: A response to Dr Mark Porter’s article about ME in The Times

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Robert 1973, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.meaction.net/2019/03/25/a-response-to-dr-mark-porters-article-about-me-in-the-times/
    I actually started writing the article as a post on S4ME but as it got longer I decided to submit it as an article for #MEAction.

If you feel I’ve overlooked anything I should have mentioned, or got anything wrong, please leave comments under the article, which I hope Dr Porter will read.

@Dx Revision Watch I belatedly realised that I hadn’t mentioned the point you’ve raised eslewhere about the benefits of getting a diagnosis for children at school etc. Please feel free to add something about this as a comment.

Woolie, TiredSam, Gecko and 28 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great @Robert 1973! Particularly liked this quote:
    It says so much about this disease with very few words.

I hope that Dr Porter will read it.

MEMarge, andypants, rvallee and 15 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An excellent response, it deserves to be widely read. Is it linked to in a comment on the original article?

Thank @Robert 1973

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Snowdrop, MEMarge, andypants and 2 others like this.
  5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have just replied to the above tweet ...if the article is about chronic fatigue, then why is the headline "Treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome...?"

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The stock answer to that is probably that the title is written by a sub-editor. We shall see.

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed it's an excuse, but it's not a valid one.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110562415979216902

"But am leaving chat now as day job to do.", what an arrogant comment. I used to have a day job, but medical 'professionals' conflating CF with ME enabled me in ruining what health I did have left by overexerting myself.

ETA: replaced my rule breaches with more suitable language.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    TiredSam, Lisa108, andypants and 10 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

His next response. Ugh. "have a day job". I guess correcting mistakes in his own reporting is just a hobby and misleading medical information could not possibly be important, or whatever.

A little knowledge... as always. He seems confident enough in his knowledge to publish an article about it, but being accurate isn't terribly important. I guess that it's fitting that this is basically the most positive piece of coverage so far, mediocre but at least not flat-out insulting.

Lisa108, andypants, leokitten and 4 others like this.
  11. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to have picked up the BPS habit of "have you read the paper/did you read the whole thing..."

Lisa108, andypants, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  12. large donner

large donner Guest

Why bother doing this article at all knowing how badly newspapers get things? Also why hasn't he commented on Sharpes attack on patients and whether he was talking about ME CF CFS Hepatitis or anything else how can he not address the PACE trial fiasco that is at the centre of this engineered hit piece by the BPS crowd.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    TiredSam, Lisa108, Trish and 2 others like this.
  13. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, healthy people do have to stop tweeting to go and do day jobs, so I wouldn't take offence at it. His newspaper articles are a sideline.
    As to 'have you read my article' type comments, I've come to think that quite a few people don't read things properly before commenting on things, as btl comments for online articles often demonstrate. He's probably used to that as any columnist will be, and that may have happened with this article. (I'm not referring to anyone here, or Rob's response.)

However, that doesn't explain away the issues with his piece.

Barry, MEMarge, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

TiredSam, Sean, Barry and 11 others like this.
  15. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dreadful state of affair when members of the general public are fed a story about chronic fatigue and fail to understand that it was never about chronic fatigue syndrome. How can doctor/journalists be protected from such ignorance?

Sean, MEMarge, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  16. large donner

large donner Guest

"Ive already got a very lucrative day job and the celebrity commentary moonlighting I do isn't even my own words cos the editor changes it all, which doesn't matter even though the editor isn't a doctor, doesn't fact check or have any journalistic integrity and likes stories to be run from a sensationalist viewpoint, I am admitting to knowing this but still continue to do such work cos its double bubble, two paychecks, Whoopee!!"

If he is so worried about the way editors change articles why doesn't he just publish his own articles online on his own FB page, blog or other?

Let me guess, he wouldn't get remunerated for that.

Its just laughable after such an admission that David Tuller taking complete responsibility for his own statements, was the one who got criticised for making a living from fact checking, citing, sourcing information, obtaining data, scrutinising the data whilst holding both sides of an argument to account, offering equal comment from all parties.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    TiredSam, Sean, Simbindi and 7 others like this.
  17. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    EzzieD, 2kidswithME, obeat and 2 others like this.