1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Manchester Evening News: Bedbound and in unimaginable pain, watching my daughter waste away and die from ME was torture

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread has been split in order to create an In Memory thread for Merryn.

To leave tributes to Merryn please go to:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/in-memory-of-merryn-croft.3302/

This thread remains here to discuss media coverage

:cry:

Bed-bound and in unimaginable pain, watching my daughter waste away and die from ME was torture

A mum has told of her ‘torture’ at watching her beautiful daughter waste away as she battled a disease some people refuse to believe exists.
    Merryn Crofts died on May 23 last year, 10 days after her 21st birthday.
    She weighed less than six stone and had spent the last three years of her life totally bed-bound, in almost unimaginable pain.

Merryn had severe myalgic encephalomyelitis - or ME - a neurological illness which affects up to 17 million people worldwide, according to some estimates.
    But many think the condition is not real, even within the medical profession.

Now, Merryn’s family have taken the brave decision to speak about her life and death in a bid to raise awareness of the crippling disease.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Jan, Binkie4, ukxmrv and 22 others like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Chezboo, Jan and 11 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

5. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Unimaginable hell for this young woman and her family, hard not to be in tears reading her story.

I don't engage with Norwegian doctor Henrik, I did a couple of times when he first day defended PACE, but I think he is simply incapable of self-awareness and clearly doesn't mind how much he insults families of pwME with his abject nonsense. He seems rather obsessed with psychologising ME. Bizarre.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I encourage Henrik Vogt to go right on letting the world know of his views on these matters, in as public and undeniable a manner as possible.

I can think of no better way for him to ultimately and decisively destroy his own credibility and reputation.

There are few people I can find less forgiveness for in this appalling chapter of medicine than this third-rate sociopathic vulture.

He is nothing more than a stark lesson in how little a formal education can be worth in the wrong brain.

MEMarge, JemPD, Hutan and 19 others like this.
  7. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just waiting for his next tweet where he comments on a story of a girl being raped by ''It is important to underscore that the girl could have worn more clothes''

This guy is clearly a sociopath.

8. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clearly the man does not understand ME/CFS. What a terrible thing to say to PwME.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    MEMarge, Jan, Frogger and 9 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

adambeyoncelowe, Chezboo, Jan and 3 others like this.
  11. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know it's not going to happen but I wish people would just ignore Vogt. He's digging his own hole, leave him to it. I worry that the more attention is drawn to him the more likely it is that Merryn's family and friends will be hurt by his lack of empathy. He may believe everything he says is true, but he doesn't have to say it in connection to an individual who has died.

12. Arnie Pye

13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Arnie Pye

I hadn't realised that Merryn's death occurred so long ago. Perhaps it is appearing in the papers now because the parents have gone public?

15. Kalliope

16. Sly Saint

17. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

It's an automatic translation site, there are more and more of these. They aren't even edited, it's pretty bad, I don't know who reads them. (eg. of bad translation: "Elle pesait moins de six kilos", she weighted less than 6 kilos, original version: She weighed less than six stone...).

edit: and half of the time, ME is translated as "moi" (me, I).

18. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman and Indigophoton like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My ME-hapless MP just sent me one of his aren't-I-wonderful newsletters, so I replied with a link to this article, along with the headline, byline and photo, plus a short message from me how I'm looking forward to seeing him start fighting for PwME, and not just regurgitate the party line. Lost cause no doubt, but maybe someone else in his office might read it who cares.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Little Bluestem, Chezboo, Joh and 6 others like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.