1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low-dose Naltrexone articles and experiences

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Kalliope, Mar 17, 2018.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could you order from an online pharmacy? And, have you checked prices for both 50mg and 3mg tablets? Its $50 in Norway, which is a bit on the expensive side but well worth it. I haven't actually considered ordering it online myself, but that could probably save me some money! Hello Google my old friend....:nerd:

MEMarge, Lisa108 and Inara like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's probably because of how insurance coverage applies only with drugs that have been specifically approved for a specific condition. The insurance rebate only applies in my province for a pre-approved drug-condition combination. IIRC at the Montreal conference last year this was discussed, to get it approved for the condition so insurance plans would reduce the cost from full sticker price.

andypants likes this.
  3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Alvin I’m sure it doesn’t cost 300$ here because the provincial coverage only covers 70% or 80%. At 80% it would be 30$ if not covered. Maybe try phoning a pharmacy from Quebec ?

I can ask my pharmacist if he’ll honor a prescription from Ontario if you want.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    MEMarge likes this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am hesitant to buy from god knows who is making/selling drugs. I would prefer to buy from a reputable place which is hard to ensure online.

Yeah its basically this. If it was not expensive it woudl not be a big deal but $300 a bottle is not affordable. Even if it worked i would never be able to buy a second bottle at that price.

Please :)
    But i don't know how i would be able to get it, the gas to drive to QC and back would be a fraction of the $300 but i no longer have the fortitude to pull it off.
    That said i was hoping to try calling costco's pharmacy and a few others if i can get the cognitive functioning to do so.

andypants likes this.
  5. Dechi

Oh that’s true, you’re not close to Quebec. Maybe they can send it to you by Post Canada or send it to a specific Pharmacy near you ? Anyways, I’ll ask, just in case.

Have you looked into online Pharmacies in Canada ?

MEMarge and andypants like this.
  6. Alvin

Not really, I'll be in Ottawa next month but thats going to be very exhausting (Dr Hyde)

Thanks. I would have trouble doing this for someone so if its going to be taxing you don't have to do it

I am very hesitant to buy from an unlicensed source, who knows what they are really selling. It may sound paranoid but i don't want any surprises (or adulterants)

hinterland and Dechi like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have started and been increasing slowly my LDN dose- too soon to judge efficacy.

But in the last week, sleep has worsened. Anyone else noticed effect on sleep?

Yessica, MEMarge and hinterland like this.
  8. andypants

Very common during the first couple of weeks, but passes for nearly everyone after a while. Some people avoid taking it too late at nights because of this. Others get sleepy and avoid taking it in the morning. I have had none of these issues after the first couple of weeks and now take 3 mg in the morning and 3 mg at night.

9. andypants

Surely there are physical pharmacy chains that also have an online presence? My local pharmacy can also fulfill prescriptions by post to anywhere in the country. Of course, Canada is slightly bigger...

10. Dechi

I just increased to 2 mg, so far so good. But it doesn’t seem to be working anymore at all at the moment, lol !

It didn’t last. I have too much on my plate at the moment and it’s payback time...

11. andypants

It’s not a cure:) because it masks pain it can also blind you to signals that you have overdone it. So be careful not to do more just because you feel better. You can still crash, and if the PEM is bad enough LDN will not be enough to escape it.

Yessica, Inara, Dechi and 3 others like this.
  12. Alvin

None that i know of. The standard chains all seem to have to dispense in physical stores.
    It might be by law?

andypants likes this.
  13. Silvermachine

Silvermachine New Member

I'm pretty sure LDN has had an effect on my cognitive abilities/brain fog. I take 3 mg just before going to sleep. I keep detailed symptoms diary. Every day I answer yes or no to the question: have I had to quit a simple task/daily activity (conversation, reading magazine, sorting stuff, writing email) due to cognitive problems? Here is a bar chart showing the percentage of yeses in a given month. The months I've taken naltrexone are marked yellow.

On the other hand it hasn't had much of an effect on my physical abilities. Here is also a bar chart showing my average walking speed in km/h. cogimpnaltrexone.png walkingspeed.png

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    pteropus, MEMarge, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  14. Dechi

@Silvermachine nice statistics ! It’s too early for me but it seems to be helping. Increasing to 2 mg 2 days ago gave me a cognitive boost.

MEMarge, Lisa108, Alvin and 5 others like this.
  15. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sing, Yessica, Dechi and 2 others like this.
  17. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My reading is that while the Pharmacist consultation service is no longer available; private GP telephone consultations are still available at a cost of £35. :thumbup:

18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems quite expensive to fill in a form, other online consultations are typically in the couple of quid range. All they seem to do is look for red flags and if non are found rubber stamp the authorisation. A few minutes at most, even if their software doesn't prescreen. £35?

LDN is relatively safe, compared with some of the other things that can be bought using an online consultation, so I have to wonder why it's so expensive to get a prescription.

Are they the only game in town, no competition, and they've decided it's a cash cow?

NelliePledge and Dechi like this.
  19. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've tried LDN 2 or 3 times in my lifetime.

The first consignment was titrated and encapsulated by a compounding pharmacy in the US, and shipped to me, here in the UK. It did nothing... Nothing at all. I can't really be sure what was in the capsules. I relegated LDN to the domain of failed treatments for the next 15 years (it sounded too good to be true anyway).

The second batch of LDN arrived courtesy of Breakspear Hospital, supplied by a Scottish pharmacy, but not Dickson Chemist, another one, whose name I can't recall right now. 3mg capsules. Hmm, it appeared to have some bioactivity... interesting! But I couldn't be sure, and had other treatments queued up. Another 2 years passed by.

Then I got word of Dickson Chemist and the set up there (availability of GP telephone consultation), and managed to get my head together and follow the process to obtain myself some of their finest LDN. It comes as a sort of cough medicine liquid that you can measure out with an oral syringe, to ramp up your dose. I can tell you that Dickson know what they're doing when it comes to LDN. This stuff had far more impact than my previous ventures into LDN. There may be various reasons for this, one of which is that it's important the naltrexone be rapidly absorped to convincingly yet temporarily block the opioid receptors.

What benefits did I get? Reduced inflammation, and what I felt could be reduced neuroinflammation (if that's a thing) - improved cognition and I felt more like my old self, from a long time ago, it was a weird sense of revisiting my old self. So; less body ache, brain working better, more energy, able to accomplish more with my time. Oh yes, I've just remembered, better gut function, it cleared up some mild IBS symptoms I'd had for several years.

All of this lasted about 6 weeks, then started tailing off and then I got a respiratory infection (upper respiratory tract infections are the bane of my life, so it was very unusual to go 6 weeks in November/ December without one, up to this point). I continued to take LDN for 3 to 6 months on and off, no longer sure if it was providing an overall benefit. The problem I had with it eventually, which is an issue with many meds/ supplements I try (following adverse effects of Ciprofloxacin, and Roaccutane), is that it caused drying out of mucous membranes, and this may have increased my susceptibility to/ diminished ability to recover from respiratory infections, in my case.

Otherwise, I didn't experience any significant side effects or problems with the LDN, only slightly disrupted sleep when becoming accustomed to the dosage and, maybe, more vivid dreams.

I would welcome a clinical trial into the use of LDN for ME/CFS.

Marhalhud, Sing, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sleep is the problem for me. Have had to stop again because of significant sleep disruption. Will try again after a break because I think , not sure, there could be positive effects. Will elaborate later once home.

Sing, MEMarge, Dechi and 4 others like this.