1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low-dose Naltrexone articles and experiences

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Kalliope, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Low-dose Naltrexone (LDN) - Dosage; Compounding Pharmacy Info.; Fast-release Fillers Only; When, How To Take; etc.

All you need to know about Low-dose Naltrexone (LDN)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2022
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inspired by my question thread?

adambeyoncelowe and Melanie like this.
  3. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. :thumbup:

Alvin likes this.
  4. Alvin

Inara, James Morris-Lent and Melanie like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Low-Dose Naltrexone: Is it a wonder drug or snake oil? (LDN)

In October 2003, Linda Elsegood was diagnosed with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, and told that doctors could do nothing more for her.

“That was devastating,” she says. “I was living, but it couldn’t be called living.”

Then she found out about a treatment using a low dose of a drug called naltrexone (LDN) from other MS sufferers. Elsegood found a prescribing doctor, and began taking it. “After three weeks, LDN tuned in that television set. I could see properly. I could begin to hear better. Cognitively, I could start to understand. It was amazing. Totally, totally amazing.”

Link here: https://medium.com/s/story/is-it-a-wonder-drug-or-snake-oil-c5b4012c097e

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2022
    Yessica, JaimeS, Rick Sanchez and 6 others like this.
  6. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I personally think LDN should be available to all ME/CFS patients who want to try it for brain fog, fatigue or pain. I'm trying to convince Kaiser Permanente of this.

7. Snowdrop

I have access to LDN through my GP who was willing (after some cajoling) to prescribe it.
    Sadly, it needs to be compounded and it is not covered by insurance. I can't afford to take it as a result.

I would cost me CDN $96 a month/30 capsules.

Yessica, rel8ted, Inara and 2 others like this.
  8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LDN had made a huge difference for me, I’d say it has probably increased my level of physical functioning by 10-20%. I would never have survived this fall without a major crash if not one it.

Not that much of an effect on the brain fog, but that’s probably because the last six months while on LDN have also been very busy, and all my energy has been spent keeping my head above water. I’m excited for the new year when things will hopefully calm down a little and I might have more brain power to spare:)

I agree with Webdog, everyone with ME should have the chance to try it. Of course it doesn’t work for everyone, but even so.

Jimmy86, Yessica, MarcNotMark and 3 others like this.
  9. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@andypants.
    After a very heavy year, my functioning has deteriorated and, added to new comorbidities needing frequent hospital appointments, I would welcome the chance to retrieve some ground. Are you able to tell me where I can get LDN to U.K., PM is fine? Many thanks.

10. Webdog

Insurance wouldn't cover compounded LDN for me and that got expensive fast. So I convinced my doctor to prescribe covered 50mg Naltrexone tablets, which I dissolve in water for the correct dosage (discussed in other threads).

Even if insurance won't cover, 50mg Naltrexone tablets are fairly inexpensive to purchase. However, a prescription is required in the US, though I've heard it said there are ways around this.

11. Snowdrop

Yes, I have wanted to do that but every time I have managed to get to my Dr I never get the chance. I barely speak and am there to get my sleeping meds renewed.

Yessica, JaimeS, Webdog and 1 other person like this.
  12. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have any studies looked at this?

13. Alvin

I want to see a proper study done on it. Several in the ME/CFS world have advocated it (Dr Klimas, Dr Younger) but i checked and found no actual research on it beyond anecdotal statements which really irks me.
    And if it does work the proposed mechanism is not convincing

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  14. Webdog

What @Alvin said.

However, there was a 2010 pilot study in Multiple Sclerosis, which found "LDN was well tolerated, and serious adverse events did not occur" and "LDN significantly improved mental health quality of life indices."

Pilot trial of low‐dose naltrexone and quality of life in multiple sclerosis, 2010, Cree et al
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ana.22006

Inara, Andy, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  15. Alvin

I had only looked for ME and CFS when i was trying to find out more about it so i had not seen this study.

Its very interesting. In our case i would guess the theory is that immune boosting is causing the cognitive improvements since low NK activity has been stated by several sources as the cause of ME related cognitive issues. Does this mean the cause is similar in MS?
    Since Naltrexone is supposed to boost immune activity how does it improve MS which should involve worsening autoimmunity if the immune system were enhanced. And with us, we have immune deficiency and immune activation, it should make ME worse in some ways and improve in others if immune boosting were its mechanism of action. All that said how it works and what exact immune abnormalities are involved with us and MS is not well understood...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  16. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From my understanding LDN is more complicated than an immune boosting medication and I think the idea that anything that activates the immune system is necessarily bad in autoimmune diseases is outdated. Immune suppressants have been used for decades in diseases like MS and they have only seen limited success. LDN also inhibits activation of TLR4 receptors in microglia, which makes it an anti-inflammatory with regards to this effect.

AFAIK there are no studies on LDN with regards to ME/CFS, but LDN has had an impact within MS community especially in Norway and there was also a study here showing some results on fibromyalgia. The author of that study (Younger) is also involved with Ron Davis' and OMF research. Younger spoke at length about neuroinflammation in ME/CFS, but since he already has studied LDN, it seems he doesn't think LDN will be the drug to solve neuroinflammation in ME/CFS.

adambeyoncelowe, Inara and MEMarge like this.
  17. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It didn't do anything for me and I tried it for a year but I heard it works for some.

Little Bluestem and MEMarge like this.
  18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, that is expensive. I paid $45 CDN for the same amount several years ago. The price differed quite a bit between the 2 compounding pharmacies that I contacted.

19. Alvin

I don't doubt it could have complicated effects, but from my point of view thats all the more reason to study it to tease them out.
    Also many seem to have tried it and found it didn't help their ME so thats important to note.

I could not find any, Younger apparently tried to do one but could not find patients to recruit according to the FDA listing.

We probably have some similarities to MS but thats not enough, we have a different disease even if it is related. If it works, how it works and why it works are very important questions. And if its supposed to help then why would it not help one of the cardinal symptoms. Maybe it only does one thing and leaves the others untouched, or maybe the anecdotal evidence is terrible in aggregate or who knows. The need for more study is clearly indicated

20. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was an 8 week study so imo in a relapsing remitting illness these results are irrelevant.