1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning Process study in Norway - Given Ethics Approval February 2022

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

inox, Anna H, Invisible Woman and 7 others like this.
  2. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The last article in Dagbladet trashing ME sufferers by demonizing our “fear” of Lightning Process, has not been tweeted by the usual suspects, or been given any attention on social media as I have seen.
    I wonder why.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone know what happened to the other articles on Facebook? There was a mention of one of the articles having generated so many nasty comments against us the post was deleted. Did the other articles get posted too?

Fear of the LP. Yes, totally, dudes. :rolleyes: What a bunch of blowhards.

5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They can't even spell Berkeley correctly--it is not "Berkely." Unless the name is spelled differently in Norwegian.

6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not spelled differently and they even misspelled it twice.. It's a well known university here, and the Crown Prince of Norway is listed among Berkeley's Notable Alumni (1999).

7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will mention this perhaps in my note asking for a correction of the correction.

In this case, does the article indicate that this information has been added, or does it just add the new information without comment?

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fear of LP yes, because upon saying the magic words "I choose the life I love", unbelievers will explode into a cloud of smoke and a swarm of screeching bats will emerge from it. The sheer amount of posivity is just too much.

9. Kalliope

As for now, there's no indication that the article has had any updates since it first got published 16th of May.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 20.50.27.png

Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  10. Cfs2222

Cfs2222 Established Member (Voting Rights)

I can remember doing reverse therapy in 2003 and I told the therapist I was on the waiting list for cbt

He told me I can't do both

So I cancelled the cbt then reverse therapy swapped my therapist and she told me to see my doctor as she thinks I have a mental illness and put me on a course of cbt but I went right back to the starybof the queue

That's the mentality of these people

11. Cfs2222

Even worse was the time I did mickel therapy and I got angry

Not at the therapist but in my journal

Only because they told me to get emotional and I had to write about it

She told me she'd have to 'speak to David' about it

Two months later they got back to me after me almost begging for a reply and the advice was to do anger management instead of mickel therapy

Even my doctor seemed confused but he got me on a course which took a long time for me to get on and the person doing th course didn't understand why I was there and nether did

Really bizarre stuff with them

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

One could ask the LP lovers why they are not frightened of it?

Because they should be.

13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that would be something like Böklg!

14. Cfs2222

If they were serious about getting it onto the NHS and I don't believe they are they'd have kept it as it was

For example when I first started doing reverse therapy it was two doctors in a nice building in the middle of a city, it seemed quite professional, but within a few years I was still doing the therapy but it was in some woman's house and I think she'd done a ten day training course and she seemed more confused than me.

I wonder if they'd kept it as just two doctors would it have fot taken more seriosult

Trish likes this.
  15. Kalliope

I just sent this letter to the Dagbladet editor who had written to me:

Dear Hilde--

I see that the Dagladet article's reference to me now includes my academic affiliation. Unfortunately, the name of my university is misspelled. It is not "Berkely" but "Berkeley."

I wondered if perhaps the university was not well-known in Norway, but then I noticed that the Crown Prince received his BA degree there in 1999.

I would appreciate it if this spelling error could be corrected.

Thanks!--David

16. Kalliope

They've now got Berkeley right once in the sentence:

Tuller er ifølge California University, Berkeleys, nettsider en «senior fellow» innenfor fagområdene folkehelse og journalistikk ved UC Berkely´s Center for Global Public Health.

17. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I do believe foreign newspaper has as crappy spellchecks as ours do, but this is still making me laugh :rofl:

18. Kalliope

Dagbladet has now fixed the misspellings of Berkeley. Now if they could just fix the other inaccuracies in the article..

Tuller er ifølge California University, Berkeleys, nettsider en «senior fellow» innenfor fagområdene folkehelse og journalistikk ved UC Berkeley´s Center for Global Public Health.

19. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I received this short email from Madeleine Hatlo:

Dear Joan,

Thank you for your debate article. We have a lot of contributions sent to us these days, and unfortunately we don’t have space for this one in our paper.

Best regards,

Madeleine Hatlo
    Debattansvarlig, Dagbladet

==

So, they are not taking forward a debate related to my letter.

I sent the following back. It'll be for information only. They clearly don't want to engage in debate. Nope. Sad.

Dear Madeleine,

That is disappointing. I hope you reconsider.

People with ME are often misunderstood, vulnerable and due to absence of good quality medical care will end up spending a lot of money on things like the Lightening Process. That is shocking in 2020.

As a neurological disease, often a highly debilitating and severe one, there needs to be clarity so that patients are not misled. Publications such as Dagbladet play an important role in the dissemination of information and sharing debate.

Some further information for you to think on:

Prof Malcolm Hooper’s Magical Medicine – How to make a Disease Disappear may well help you too:
    http://www.investinme.org/Documents/Library/magical-medicine.pdf
    Whilst this document is now perhaps a bit dated it does provide a comprehensive round up of the medical evidence for ME and shenanigans that have gone on to minimise this information and to largely view ME as psychological/psycho-social problem.

In 2015, the Institute of Medicine (IOM), now the National Academy of Medicine (NAM), published a report on ME/CFS called “Beyond Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Redefining an Illness.” The IOM committee summarized the evidence base and proposed redefining the diagnostic criteria to facilitate timely diagnosis and to improve understanding of the illness among healthcare professionals and the public:
    https://www.cdc.gov/me-cfs/healthcare-providers/diagnosis/iom-2015-diagnostic-criteria.html
    Full report can be found here:
    https://www.nap.edu/resource/19012/MECFScliniciansguide.pdf

Prof Brian Hughes’s article may help you to understand more:
    https://thesciencebit.net/2019/03/2...k-twice-before-accusing-them-of-trolling-you/

I’ve also attached two documents detailing the disease ME (Canadian and International criteria) which are well used within medicine and research to understand the condition well.

I hope that Dagbladet you will reconsider and engage in a debate about ME, the psychologization of their condition and the abuse and neglect that this can cause. It has gone on for decades and has caused enormous distress to patients and their families.

Regards,
    Joan Crawford
    Chartered Counselling Psychologist

==
    Perhaps David will have more luck :)

inox, Anna H, Amw66 and 21 others like this.
  20. Kalliope

Thank you so much, @Joan Crawford ! You've provided important information and also shown Dagbladet that there are health professionals standing together with ME patients. The reality may not be quite as Dagbladet portrayed it in their recent articles after all.

inox, Anna H, MEMarge and 12 others like this.