1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Hughes (2018): Psychology in Crisis

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MSEsperanza, Aug 29, 2018.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Being too sick today to write the posts, hellos and welcome messages I would like to write, I instead asked the two nearest libraries to buy @Brian Hughes' Psychology in Crisis (just in case you don't know: most libraries have online forms for asking to buy a book ), and opened this thread, looking forward to reading the first reviews and all you want to share about the book.

ETA:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Link to the book on UK Amazon, http://amzn.eu/d/7PxDsB9

A request can be made to the publisher for it to be available in a Kindle version
    Screen shot 2018-08-29 at 12.49.54.png
    Just look for the box pictured above on Amazon and click the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link.

DokaGirl, Inara, MeSci and 14 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The author, @Brian Hughes has joined the forum and introduced himself here.

I've ordered a copy of the book and look forward to reading the ME / PACE trial section and browsing the rest when I have the energy. It costs about £20 in the UK.

4. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really want to buy this book, but i’m hoping to hear from others how much brain energy is required first, so i’m holding off buying for now

MEMarge, Inara, MSEsperanza and 10 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a book, with ink and paper (presumably), so fixed font size, contrast etc.. I can't read 'em. Maybe in a couple of weeks when my new specs exist, I'll re-assess, but pointless me buying it now.

Inara, MSEsperanza, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  7. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m still waiting for brain specs to be invented, my eyes are great, its the brain that can’t focus o_O

alex3619, Inara, Gecko and 17 others like this.
  8. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I generally can't read entire books most of the time.
    I wonder if an audio version of something like this is economically viable... I imagine there must be more people who have a problem like the two of us, but Idk how many copies a book like this one can expect to sell.
    I do hope it's a shitton, though.

Inara, MSEsperanza, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the French resume page was rather good - you hardly need to read the book after this. It includes:

Expressions et termes fréquents
    academic analyses approaches authors behaviour biological brain activity brain imaging cent Chinese chology chronic fatigue syndrome claim coauthors cognitive cognitivism compute concept conducted confirmation bias considered construct validity control group cultural datasets depression effect ego depletion example extraversion fact false-positive feel findings fMRI gender difference human hurricanes internal validity internet addiction intervention IQ test logical margin of error ME/CFS mean average measurement mental health methods neuroscience NHST non-replicability null hypothesis one’s Open Science Collaboration original studies p-value PACE Trial paper paradigms participants patients peer review problem produce psychoanalysis psycholPsychological Science psychology research psychology’s crises psychology’s replication published qualitative research quantitative questionnaire Rampant Methodological Flexibility reason reflect replication crisis reported Retrieved April sample scale scientific scientists scores simply Social Psychology social support SRRS statistical significance statistical tests stress survey theory therapy things tion true variables voxels women words

Some this is clearly distractor padding but some bits are uncanny;

academic analyses approaches authors behaviour
    false-positive feel findings
    human hurricanes internal validity internet addiction intervention (I think that must be Tom and Alem)
    PACE Trial paper paradigms participants patients peer review problem
    scientists scores simply Social Psychology
    statistical tests stress survey theory
    therapy things, true variables, voxels, women and words (that says it all really)

2kidswithME, Woolie, Webdog and 9 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Amazon just dropped the price for me to £21.04, though that may just be an individual offer - http://amzn.eu/d/iP9dIH3

11. Wonko

erm....isn't that just a random collection of sciency sounding words that have absolutely no informational content? It's difficult to be sure, as I can't hold more than 4 or 5 words in my head at a time, but I can't see any consecutive word groupings, of the types normally used to convey information, to latch on to.

Inara, MeSci and MEMarge like this.
  12. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same lower price for me.

13. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s showing as that when I checked Amazon about a half hour ago. I wondered whether we had been buying so many it had caused price to drop. My logic may not be logical!

14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@Wonko I think it's an alphabetical list of frequently used terms and expressions in the book.

As to price, my Amazon receipt says £24.99.

16. Wonko

A quick scan would suggest that whilst vaguely alphabetical it is not, in fact, alphabetical

Might be an idea to cancel your order and immediately reorder it then Trish - £3.95 is nearly £4 ;)

ETA - both prices are sold by amazon prices, they've simply dropped to match the next lowest price that was available to get the orders, and then everyone else's pricing algorithms have done the same, forcing all the prices down.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's alphabetical. I cheated a bit. But I thought some of the juxtapositions (the second list) seemed remarkably apt.

Woolie, MEMarge, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  18. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, it's £21.04 for me too, now. I'm sure it was about £25 when I first looked.

19. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A children's book I published earlier this year strangely dropped to £2.94, which is *less* than Amazon's wholesale price. It promptly went up to £4.95 the next day.

I think they have arcane algorithms which attempt to make books more appealing to buy at a given time.

20. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think they also do personal pricing . They may have a threshold of stock vs sales when they try to reduce stock in the warehouse even at a loss. For some older books they also do print on demand.