1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Hughes (2018): Psychology in Crisis

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MSEsperanza, Aug 29, 2018.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Added links to...

...and...
    ...in the opening post.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Andy, andypants and Esther12 like this.
  2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup: My copy has just arrived. :bookworm:

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I went for the free delivery option, so mine's not due till next week.

4. Keela Too

Mine was free delivery. Not sure why!

Invisible Woman and ladycatlover like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prime?

6. Keela Too

Ah! Maybe.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have so far refused to sign up to Amazon Prime, so I don't get the quick version of free delivery.

8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine arrived yesterday, did the test husband does on any new non-fiction book - open a few random pages and read a paragraph. Looks like it will be a really interesting read, and is refreshingly free of unexplained jargon. :)

I'm not reading it today as it's my 70th birthday :eek: so I'm watching catch up TV and drinking gin instead. ;) (Sorry @Brian Hughes)

2kidswithME, Inara, Woolie and 19 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amazon's prices are determined by algorithms, to a degree. It's normal to see different prices depending on time and client, same as with airlines where nearly every passenger pays a slightly different price.

10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

....except in countries with fixed book prices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_book_price_agreement

11. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! :emoji_birthday:

Binkie4, Inara, Woolie and 17 others like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just ordered mine :).
    No, I avoid paying for perks that aren't ... by definition, because I paid for them. My cussed streak kicks in and I'd rather wait a few days.

13. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent book. So much interesting info in the first few chapters about psychoscience in general.

14. Barry

That has a ring to it.

15. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks, @MEMarge. Glad you like it... :)

16. Barry

Just started reading your book @Brian Hughes :). Only just read the first few pages, but already gained some good insights - education is so very much about gaining new insights.

I am an engineer not a scientist, so at one level the notion of independent replication is not new to me. But I had not properly appreciated what a core tenet it is of human scientific endeavour until reading your introductory words. Without independent replication, science would be just another self-fulfilling belief system; and indeed science that fails to achieve independent replication amounts to little more than just that.

I have this notion of "putting pegs in the ground", which to me at least is applicable here. When a scientific study is the first of its kind and breaks new ground, it is I think akin to putting up a tent in stormy weather, and that first trial effectively puts that first peg in the ground. The tent is still at major risk of blowing away, but independent verifications are akin to putting further pegs in the ground, progressively anchoring the tent ever more firmly. If they fail to do so then the tent will be cast to the winds, and rightly so.

If the 'replications' are not independent, then to me this is like putting more pegs into the same spot in the ground, just holding the same guy rope, so in fact making no real difference to the proper anchoring down of the tent, though it may hang around longer than it should, flapping around wildly.

You have a great way of getting things across, which is invaluable, not just to me but to our cause. I really do hope your book becomes a standard text for students.

17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Of course there is more to it as far as philosophy of science is concerned (there was a discussion about pan-critical rationalism on PR years ago). It's not just about the number of pegs, but how loose those pegs are. ;)

18. Barry

Indeed. It's a notion rather than rigorous analogy.

19. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are text-to-speech apps or programs. I've tried the following: copy in kindle, click "Send to" (or "share") and choose the app. The app will read and show the text you copied. It seems you can't do this with the entire eBook at one go, just page for page. But it works.

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The book and it's criticism of PACE is now in Wikipedia:
    it's on a talk page ([​IMG]This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot I. Threads with no replies in 3 weeks may be automatically moved.)

"
    New book criticizes the PACE trial
    You might be interested to learn that academic psychologist Professor Brian Hughes has just published a book "Psychology in Crisis" (ie, a tertiary source) about the way flawed research prospers so freely in modern psychology. This book contains a whole chapter on the PACE trial of CBT and GET as an example of alarmingly bad research, and thus may be relevant for this CFS article, which currently has large sections on CBT and GET."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Chronic_fatigue_syndrome

nice to see a link to MEpedia......how long it will be there is another matter.

Woolie, MSEsperanza, Atle and 15 others like this.