1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Hughes (2018): Psychology in Crisis

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MSEsperanza, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It wasn't 'exaggerated' - because it wasn't even there in the first place.

`somebody missed the point?

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, ukxmrv, JaneL and 24 others like this.
  3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the review:
    "Non-equivalent control groups, lack of blinding and adjustment of assessment criteria revealed that the effectiveness of the intervention for treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was exaggerated"

Unfortunately that seems to be the case for the review.

In Brian Hughes' book the PACE trial is dealt with in the second last chapter called "Psychology's exaggeration crisis". But If I remember correctly I understood the PACE subchapter within this chapter as a synopsis of all the crises explained in the previous chapters. Also, exaggeration is meant in a broader sense.

In other words, I think Hughes takes, before the final chapter, PACE as an example for all the five crises he elaborated on before (starting from the introductory "replication crisis").

These five crises are -- taken from the author's own summary on Psychology Today:

(Numbering added.)

I found the introductory paragraph to the PACE subchapter on google books, (Psychology in Crisis, p.132) :

(Italics in the original.)

So, even though I think the reviewer's' intentions were good and he understood that the PACE trial is "perhaps one of the most striking examples of poor research in the book", I hope more and better reviews will follow.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Sly Saint, MEMarge, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reproducibility crisis in science was discussed on BBC Radio4 Inside Science on Thursday 16th Jan at 4.30pm. I hope this is the right link to BBC Sounds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000d8st

Interview with Professor of Zoology at Manchester University, Matthew Cobb (first item on programme, about 13 mins)

Starts with replication issues in psychology research, then problems in other areas, oceanography discussed here. Professor Cobb mentioned the problems of objective measurement in behavioural animal studies. From Manchester University's site it seems his first degree and PhD were in human psychology.

sebaaa, ukxmrv, MSEsperanza and 7 others like this.
  5. MSEsperanza

Off topic but looks like another good book by Brian Hughes:

"A Conceptual History of Psychology: The Mind Through Time"

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/conceptual-history-of-psychology-9781350328204/

Brian Hughes on mastodon.ie:

MEMarge, Sean, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thought I might buy it until I saw the price. It's a 456 page textbook and the paperback costs about £40.

Here's the blurb on Amazon:

This comprehensive and thought-provoking new textbook covers the conceptual issues and theoretical developments in psychology while effortlessly bringing to life key historical milestones. Each chapter allows students to engage with the ‘great debates’ in a particular area of psychology while learning objectives and reflective summaries help to scaffold understanding and deepen learning. Non-Western psychology is integrated throughout to help tell a compelling story of how, across centuries, human beings came to explore each other’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviours – tracing Psychology’s development from an obscure philosophical pursuit to the world’s most popular science.

Key features of this textbook include:
    · Expansive coverage of the field from its historical roots in ancient philosophy to the present day, with particular emphasis on developments in modern psychology and neuroscience
    · Comprehensive coverage of cultural debates within psychology including WEIRD psychology
    · Carefully-thought out pedagogical framework reinforces the links between history and conceptual issues in an engaging and critical way
    · Includes ‘Almost Famous’ biographies of minority, non-Western and other psychologists whose work is often overlooked in the usual ‘Great Men’ narrative of the field’s development
    · Student-friendly writing style and attractive two-colour layout to aid learning, with online resources offering further support.

This textbook will help students understand Psychology, its origins and evolution, its cultural contexts, and the history of cultural change in order to gain invaluable insight into the past, present and future of this vitally important field.

7. MSEsperanza

I hope it won't take too long until it will also be available at libraries as an e-book.

(I think everyone can suggest books to be bought by your local library see this post.)

This time I will request that they buy the e-book instead of the hard copy...

EzzieD, ladycatlover, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Currently considering buying a kindle, simply because no more room for books (which I love), but I don't think kindles support library e-books? And note sure kobo as good.

MSEsperanza and ladycatlover like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a kindle. My daughter is happy with her Kobo.

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MSEsperanza, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kindle is more closed-off on purpose. I think there's another one besides that but Kobo usually works well with other libraries, including public ones.