1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

John Oliver (HBO) about media and science

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Lisa108, May 15, 2018.

1. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology (University of Hamburg) shared this video on facebook today.

"John Oliver discusses how and why media outlets so often report untrue or incomplete information as science."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    JaimeS, Hutan, Barry and 15 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

John Oliver is a top bloke as we say where I come from

SallyC, Hutan, Barry and 4 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

John Oliver knows how to nail it. I've seen this one before but worth watching again.
    At about the 14 min mark he makes some very good observations about why it matters when we play fast and loose with science.
    There can be some pretty big consequences.

JaimeS, Hutan, Melanie and 3 others like this.
  4. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish he would do an episode on us in the week leading up to next year's millions missing.

Sorry for slightly hijacking the thread, but his episode on rehab could almost serve as a template for this, e.g. the bit at 2:55 is basically the exact same thing for the centres offering 'treatments' to us.

I mean, come on. This is almost too perfect a topic for him. Just think about it:
    Our story is about British psychiatrists helping American companies (like UnumProvident) export the very concept of being complete dicks to severely disabled people all over the world, enabling doctors and government agencies to dismiss women as hysterical along the line, repeating everything that had been done wrong in the past with regards to any minority ever and largely getting away with it and to top it off justifying all of this with a combination of victim blaming and made up stories about a minority of a huge patient population handing out death threats left and right because someone found Bob Dylan lyrics on a small blog.

Exposing this kind of stuff is so quintessential John Oliver that all we need is a huge dormouse costume so one of our inactivist celebrities can show up for the pitch at the end of the show, link to some documents on the DWP involvement and the like and the segment should almost write itself.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Trish, JaimeS, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't wait to see Michael Sharpe's TODD talk.

JaimeS, Hutan, Barry and 6 others like this.
  6. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is relevant to our interests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TATSAHJKRd8

John. If you happen to read this... you know, John. We make do with what we have. But you could give us so much more.

Come on, John. You know you want to.

TiredSam and rvallee like this.