1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is PEM cumulative? - public thread

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by JemPD, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We do get hit within a short period of time after the activity, it is just the worst seems to come 24-48 hours after exercise. The muscles used directly in the activity are hit much harder than any "PEM" that affects the rest of the body.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A discussion about corticosteroids preventing PEM has been split from this thread and can be found here:
    Use of corticosteroids to prevent PEM

Regarding how we might test the 'is PEM cumulative?' question, I don't think I have ever heard of more than 2 CPETs being done in a sequence. It would be really interesting to see what happens if people with ME did a CPET every day for say five days, compared to healthy controls, monitoring changes around ventilatory threshold as well as bloodwork.

Of course there's some risk to such a study. But some people would be prepared to do it, e.g. some people like me who have children also with ME who desperately want answers for the next generation.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that repeated testing over a period of days would be interesting. However, I would not suggest trying to push up to any thresholds. I would be interested to see what happens with the sort of low level aerobic activity that can induce PEM. I have never really understood the value of seeing what the maximum capacity is ME. What would seem more interesting is whether one can show reduced power output for the same amount of oxygen to CO2 conversion. Most people manage living a normal life without doing any anaerobic exercise. The problem for PWME is that they cannot manage even at the low level aerobic stage.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The primary function of Glucocorticoid receptors is metabolic. Hence the name Gluco...

Sounds like Hell to me...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)