1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview with Howard Bloom Where He Talks Extensively About Severe ME Viewed Over 500000 Times in 1st Day

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Rossy191276, May 23, 2018.

1. Rossy191276

Rossy191276 Established Member (Voting Rights)

I see your point @Sid. Such a pity as I have actually never heard someone speak about ME in a way that so closely matches my own experience. Yet everything else he talks about makes him seem so not credible that people naturally think he is also making up the devastating nature of his illness.

Barry, petrichor and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  2. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bloom's been around for ages. I guess the reason he may have been noticed now is due to the Rogan interview.

Here's a series of interviews he did 5-6 years ago:

http://www.healtheo360.com/stories/chapter-10-cyndi-lauper-and-cfs/

He's credible in some ways and not in others. Definitely a huge ego, which I suppose is essential for one to accomplish as much as he has.

But with all his insistence on how incredibly intelligent he is, especially regarding science, his claim (paraphrasing) that amitriptyline is 'the thing' for stomach pain is just laughable. Sure, it may temporarily block or suppress the pain, but it does nothing to address the cause or causes of the pain.

That's not very intelligent IMO.

3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think it's fair to blame the man for the shitty comments by bigots that are always under any article about this disease. I don't know that it's sensible either to dissect every person who is brave enough to go public with their illness, and expect or wish them to be someone other than they are.

I understand the wish for a perfect "poster child" but the truth is we are all real people dealing with a real disease the best we can.

4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The sleeping in 4-hour chunks thing is actually pretty common... on naval vessels. Smaller vessels don't have enough officers and crew to support more than two sections of watch. Two section watch is basically "four hours on" and "four hours off," so, to get 8 hours sleep, you have to break it into two four-hour chunks separated by at least 4-hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_system

MEMarge, Barry and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barry, Allele and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just as an aside, you can find Bloom's pamphlet here (PDF). There are some contradictions (notably, amitriptyline and gabapentin don't appear here at all, despite being crucial, apparently, in this interview). Oxytocin gets some more love.

MEMarge, Dolphin and Barry like this.
  7. adambeyoncelowe

MEMarge, Barry and NelliePledge like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One a second non-stop for a quarter of an hour! You would have to be incredibly fit to do that!

MEMarge and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  9. adambeyoncelowe

He claims it's 1,000 per day in his pamphlet. Contradicting himself again...

Sly Saint likes this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and adambeyoncelowe like this.