1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I find that an odd statement @petrichor. Everyone has ideologies, and some are more useful than others. Some are worth holding onto and some are changed by what we learn. An ideology that 'sound scientific enquiry helps to understand if treatments work' is a useful ideology for this review. An ideology that 'we know GET works because we use it in our clinics and people get better and there's nothing wrong with the trials that have been done and nothing will make me re-evaluate my beliefs' is not so useful.

Have you not seen the public statements made by Julia Newton? Also, presumably, being the Associate Medical Director of the Newcastle- upon-Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and having a deep and long-standing interest in CFS, she either wrote or signed off on the Trust's comments on NICE ME/CFS Guideline draft (from page 422 in Part 1 of the comments). The Trust's comments seem to me rather ideological in an unhelpful way when it comes to the task of evaluating evidence in a careful and unbiased way.

Here the Trust is talking about people with severe ME/CFS, where apparently their problems are their anger, their involvement in patient groups, their misguided belief that they can't get better and their voluntary reduction in activity levels:

Here's a little of the criticism of expert testimonies and particularly that of @Jonathan Edwards, revealing an ideology that non-pharmacological interventions are somehow special and not amenable to being studied in trials that reach normal scientific standards.

Here there seems to be an ideology of clinicians knowing best what goals people with ME/CFS should have, and ignoring the substantial uncertainty there is about illness trajectory. The Trust seems to have the ideology that they can be objective about how much fatigue and disability can be reduced for a particular patient. Further, they seem to have the ideology that identifying psychological factors that are maintaining the condition will lead to recovery:

Here the Trust seems to have the ideology that ME groups hold an unrealistically pessimistic view of the illness and that informed ME/CFS patients are very angry people. They seem to have the ideology that these people being 'very angry' about a particular issue means that they are both wrong and are just generally very angry people. That ideology is surely not conducive to understanding what the 'very angry' people are actually complaining about.

Here the Trust makes clear that their treatment approaches are based on the evidence that NICE found was useless. Clearly, there is an enormous incentive for the Trust to overturn the findings of NICE. Such a conflict of interest makes for strongly held ideologies.

Here the Trust's comment suggests that people will be advised to push through their symptoms. It also, in its reference to 'the CBT model of CFS/ME' seems to suggest that 'catastrophic thoughts about harming oneself' is a feature of the illness. And again, it reveals a strongly held ideology that patient groups don't understand ME/CFS.

I find it rather worrying that you would count Julia Newton as 'one of the best possible people who could have been chosen for this'. Perhaps you can explain why I am wrong to be concerned?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had similar concerns about that clinic's responses, but I don't know who wrote them.

3. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't really talking about Julia Newton when I talked about "the best possible people". I meant more "the best possible people under the circumstances", which are not entirely optimal circumstances. I agree that Julia Newton is not an optimal choice, but I assume Cochrane felt pressured to include someone to include some kind of pro-GET clinician, and I think she's likely better than other options that could have been chosen.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2021
    Peter Trewhitt, Trish, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Ah, ok, I just assumed based on your post (copied below) where you said that you have learned more about the people involved in the process as time has gone on. There hasn't been any public news about the process that I'm aware of for quite some time, not since we last talked about the people involved.

I think we can agree that some at least hold ideologies that are unhelpful for a considered evaluation of the evidence. I'm interested to know what you have learned recently that makes you feel that some are better than you expected?

5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

After Montgomery's letter to the committee, I sent the attached response to him. He passed it on to the HRA who replied as follows:

I have copied the letter (attached) to a few people but nothing came of it. Misleading parliament is a very serious matter. I would note in particular in this regard points 9 and 13.

Attached Files:

6. petrichor

When I say I've learnt more about the people as time has gone on, that's from places like twitter, looking people/things up out of curiosity, and trying to learn more about how GRADE/cochrane reviews other things work. Sorry if the way I phrased it was misleading

I'm also not really denying that some people hold unhelpful ideologies, particularly Newton, but at least they don't seem to be an extremely strong kind of ideology (apart from possibly Newton).

The people who I've been increasingly impressed with are David Nunan, Mary Dimmock, Hilda herself (largely from coming across her blogs), George Faulkner, and Mike Clarke. Probably mainly Hilda and David Nunan I've been increasingly impressed with from coming across things by them on twitter/blogs/journal articles. Because they seem like relatively skeptical and open minded people.

7. Hutan

Perhaps Cochrane felt pressured to include some kind of pro-GET clinician. Perhaps they actively sought one out. But the one they chose not only has a career tied to delivering GET in a clinical setting, she also has a long career in ME/CFS research, making her conflicts of interest particularly deep and unshakeable. She has much more at stake than the average pro-GET clinician.

I too googled David Nunan and thought he might be ok. But, have you seen this thread and the company he has kept? Hopefully despite that, he will be ok.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  8. petrichor

I don't recall seeing that thread. I'm not sure to what extent you can judge people by the company they keep (by that I mean I'm genuinely not sure). In things I've seen from him he's talked about how higher standards of evidence should be applied to exercise than what's currently done, and expressed frustration at how people don't seem to want to apply the same rigor they apply to other interventions to exercise. I've also by chance seen some replies from him on twitter where he seemed genuinely skeptical and open minded (although I don't remember exactly about what)

9. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What Cochrane are doing with this review is pointless. NICE have done it. NICE had a team truly independent of the guideline committee, and with equipoise, assess the evidence and find it seriously wanting. The IAG is not independent as it has been hand-picked by Hilda who was appointed by Cochrane. Also NICE did the evidence assessment for all interventions for people with ME/CFS, not just exercise therapy. It doesn't matter how suitable or unsuitable the Cochrane team is, it's completely redundant work that no longer needs to be done by Cochrane or anyone else. If Cochrane cared about people with ME/CFS, they would withdraw the two remaining CFS reviews and attempt to mitigate the damage caused by the findings from those reviews still being used to make clinical decisions. The "findings" are also being used to criticize NICE for their allegedly "perverse" use of GRADE. I would say using GRADE to avoid downgrading certainty of evidence by subtly slipping in that it's "moderate" certainty evidence for a "non-zero" (aka clinically meaningless) effect, is perverse.

10. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

We can give a strong message that if GRADE finds (or allows some to find) that what are really poor quality trials (with measurements that are highly subject to bias and a lack of control for different expectiations) then it does not mean that the trials provide moderate evidence but that GRADE is not fit for purpose. By some of the GRADE authors sticking their heads above the sand and saying if correctly applied then everything would be ok with these trials they are opening their work up for careful examination and criticism - something that should have been done as it was developed.

11. Hutan

Yes. Pointless from our point of view. I am sure there are some who see the Cochrane review as an opportunity to fight back against the NICE findings and make everything as it was. Which is why the people involved matter.

Some information I have seen recently about Peter Gladwell (who is on the IAG) has added, rather than reduced, concern. Gladwell's article about the use of TENS for ME/CFS is discussed here. His article, which aimed to inform doctors, is the opposite of evidenced-based medicine. And we are relying on him to help hold the writing group to high scientific standards.

Yes, some of the projects he worked on look really good, indicating a good understanding of evidence evaluation. But he worked on some of those projects with some of the people who wrote the very flawed Cochrane Exercise Review that this new process aims to replace. So:
    1. producing material promoting good evidence evaluation is clearly not a guarantee of actually doing good evidence evaluation, and
    2. we don't know what influence Nunan's past and present Cochrane colleagues (some of whom have reputations tied to the previous exercise review) might have on him.

I'm trying to think of things we can do that actually make a difference to the review. There's probably not much now. But, at least we can make sure that people with ME/CFS are aware of the unfounded prejudice, conflicts of interest and lack of knowledge that a substantial number of the people who will be determining the content of the new exercise review bring to the task.

12. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The HRA isn't an audit body in that it doesn't actually do checks. They expect certain documentation to be sent and check it ticks their boxes. An auditor would go in and demand access to all the information and select randomly from that to look for evidence that what is being claimed is actually happening. I.e. the processes that the trial PIs have signed up to are being followed (as well as looking at whether those processes meet the requirements. Its a much more detailed look by people who are used to checking evidence that things are correctly run and looking for violations (or potential issues). Auditors tend to like to identify problems.

This seams really different from an ethics board or the HRA who seem to just look at the documents supplied and say they are ok. They would have no knowledge if the documents were a made up public view and something entirely different was happening behind the scenes. They also don't seem to have much expertise in that they let bad practices through without having an overall view on risks.

13. petrichor

This is something to be kept in mind. Although I appreciate that cochrane is actually making some sort of effort on this review to allow the representation of patients and more unbiased/people with different views on this review. I don't want them to feel like there's no point in trying to do those things, and hence why I'm willing to recognise when they've made relatively good choices or done some things well. I also don't want to make any negative impression on any of the people on the author team or the IAG, especially since as I said some of them seem to have some good qualities

Peter Trewhitt and CRG like this.
  14. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But there is no point in this case. there is a great deal of point in involving patients and the public in every single review Cochrane publish. They even have a statement of principles (https://www.cochrane.org/news/statement-principles-consumer-involvement-cochrane) and a set of training tools. (https://training.cochrane.org/involving-people). The IAG is completely separate from that, and Hilda wasn't even aware of the work until I told her about it. Shows how much Cochrane really care about patient and public involvement. It is is obviously not practical to have an IAG etc. for every review. Who decides what is high profile in advance? This is only high-profile because Cochrane made a monumental hash of it the first time around. Hilda could not tell me how other "high-profile" reviews would be chosen in future to get the IAG treatment.

15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Gee, I can't imagine why that would be. Real head scratcher, that one.

Besides, I'd like to see the hard evidence for these claims and adverse interpretations.
    I look forward to this novel approach from the NHS.

16. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a little hint on p478 that a therapist may have written, or co-authored, the Newcastle' clinic's response:
    Nonetheless, it seems likely that Newton, as the clinic lead, would have signed off on it.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and alktipping like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have confidence in the IAG. Precisely because it's independent, and relative to how independent it will show itself to be. Choosing Bastian is the only good decision Cochrane has made in this entire mess. But Cochrane did not put in the resources for it to succeed, and I don't trust what they will do with it, or alongside it.

But more than anything I assume that at least as much politicking is happening behind the scenes at Cochrane then there was at NICE, this time with far less visibility. Given the banishment of this review from any of the working groups, I assume this is where the real work is happening in terms of what the organization will produce.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  18. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Julia Newton has done some good biomedical research. Her studies looking at muscle cells and white blood cells (I think those were the cells!) in vitro showed problems with cellular metabolism. She went to Newcastle when John Richardson still ran the Newcastle Group. He was one of the last polio experts and also ME and the Royal Free epidemic.

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure that one can assume that. Julia Newton may not have wanted to waste time editing something produced by therapists designed to save the jobs of therapists when she herself seems to have largely withdrawn from ME research.

Those Newcastle comments had to have come from a therapist who really understands nothing about how you extract evidence from controlled observations.

I like the point that you cannot separate the effect of the personal relationship from the therapy. Which of course means that you cannot know if the therapy works - it might be the personal relationship. You cannot have your cake and eat it I am afraid!

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came to the conclusion that the make up of the author group and IAG was quite appropriate.

I agree with Caroline that this re-hash review is pointless for the wider world. But I thought it might at least be a chance to bang some heads together. The NICE committee representatives came out quite surprised how much expected adversaries were prepared to agree. I suspect that the NICE process taught some people quite a lot about their own specialty. I see this Cochrane process as an internal cleansing exercise. Success will be if some people at Cochrane with dumb ideas get to realise a bit how dumb they are. There are a few people involved who will be able to point that out.

If Hilda had excluded Cochranites with woolly ideas then nobody much would have learnt anything.

I don't have great hopes for the process but I would not discount it as another important step in breaking down the sort of goldfish bowl thinking that has made Cochrane so unhelpful.