1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

HRA (Health Research Authority) & Bristol University's report on E. Crawley's CFS/ME Studies over registration to the Research Ethics Committee (2019)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MEMarge, Oct 22, 2019.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're not all British journals.

Amw66, MSEsperanza, Trish and 3 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

didn't Crawley also 'lose' the template of a letter sent out to participants of one of her studies? I can't remember which one.

bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: An Update on the Missing Ethics Corrections in Multiple Esther Crawley Papers

"In 2019, the University of Bristol and the UK’s Health Research Authority issued a report about their joint investigation of 11 papers. The lead investigator of all 11 papers was Professor Esther Crawley, Bristol’s methodologically and ethically challenged pediatrician and grant queen. The report recommended that Professor Crawley correct the ethics statements in all of the papers. But it absolved Professor Crawley of responsibility for her actions, concluding that everything was all just an unfortunate but understandable misunderstanding.

That absolution was a wrong-headed decision. But at least Professor Crawley was asked to make the corrections. That was already some time ago. Last summer–prompted by comments on the Science for ME forum–I double-checked and, sure enough, only a few of the papers had actually been corrected. I alerted the Health Research Authority, which looked into the matter and pressed Bristol to ensure that the other journals followed suit. Since then, the agency has kept me updated about its progress; the other day I received a final report about the matter. I have posted it below, followed by my response."

https://www.virology.ws/2023/03/24/...orrections-in-multiple-esther-crawley-papers/

EzzieD, MSEsperanza, Barry and 12 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may have picked it up wrongly, but I'm sure a recent study has been flagged up on S4ME with the same issues . It might even have been the same rec code?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I missed that, can you remember which thread it was raised in?

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not off top of my head sorry. It may come to me later ( usually in wee small hours )

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm impressed with the perseverance of the people fighting on our side reading through threads today. The ethical approval for Crawley's studies or lack thereof, the work of Nina Steinkopf among others in Norway, how Caroline Struthers and others are fighting the good fight with Cochrane and so much more.